Worn/scratched records vs stylus life?

RSand

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2012
Liverpool
AKA
Rob
I've always been of the belief damaged/scratched/crackly records wear the stylus faster. Is this right?

For some bizarre reason my wife thought it would be a good idea to invite someone round and bring their dad's old records so he can listen to them. My first word were "why the fk did you say that, I don't want old scratched records knackering my stylus" I'm now wonderingis there any truth in this belief I've held for over 3 decades

minorrevival

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2012
France
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure if the scratches do anything but the ground-in dirt, dust, hand-grease and cigarette smoke probably will. No one else's records get played on my turntable. :D

rod

Wotsit
Wammer
Mar 28, 2011
H&W
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've always been of the belief damaged/scratched/crackly records wear the stylus faster. Is this right? For some bizarre reason my wife thought it would be a good idea to invite someone round and bring their dad's old records so he can listen to them. My first word were "why the fk did you say that, I don't want old scratched records knackering my stylus" I'm now wonderingis there any truth in this belief I've held for over 3 decades
How do you know he didn't look after them.

Assuming he didn't :-

Clean them before you play them.

If you think about the pressures involved you will see that the crud on a dirty record will act as an abrasive where it is trapped between the stylus and record surface when playing.. the scratches will cause more damage if it causes mistracking but otherwise fine scratches you just hear the noise.

la toilette

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 7, 2010
Par la rivière Yeo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Most of my vinyl has come from car boots and 2nd hand shops, so plenty are well worn or a bit scratched and I only started using cleaning solution about 3 years ago.....certainly not gonna stop playing them :) .

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Most of my vinyl has come from car boots and 2nd hand shops, so plenty are well worn or a bit scratched and I only started using cleaning solution about 3 years ago.....certainly not gonna stop playing them :) .
Likewise. I used to worry about it, but now I just listen and enjoy.

AGrail

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 15, 2009
Devon
The Styli bummer

1) Deciding it's time for a new styli.

2) New cart gets bought (Or cart is sent off to be re-tipped)

3) Favorite records sound rough

4) Here comes the bummer....The new cart is fine the old cart has damaged the groves

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zlatan