Worst cover version of all time?

ray70

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Paul Young - Love will Tear us Apart.

I've got nothing against Paul Young, but hearing the song by someone other than Joy Division just makes me cringe.

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ray70 wrote:

Paul Young - Love will Tear us Apart. I've got nothing against Paul Young, but hearing the song by someone other than Joy Division just makes me cringe.
I could just imagine Shatner doing it though...
wink.png

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
Cloth-Ears wrote:

:lmao:I don't know Will Young but I've heard a new version of Light My Fire on the radio a few times and laughed in disbelief, so I know what you're on about there.

It's so limp isn't it ? It's like he can't be bothered singing it. The timing seems off too.
Not so much leather trousers and mescaline Cloffo (like the original) more GAP and a nice cup of tea. Wrong.

IHaveNoNaim

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2005
, ,
mosfet wrote:

Cloth-Ears wrote:
:lmao:I don't know Will Young but I've heard a new version of Light My Fire on the radio a few times and laughed in disbelief, so I know what you're on about there.

It's so limp isn't it ? It's like he can't be bothered singing it. The timing seems off too.
Not so much leather trousers and mescaline Cloffo (like the original) more GAP and a nice cup of tea. Wrong.
The Jose Feliciano version isn't exactly dripping with testosterone either I think that was the version Will Young was using as a refrence point rather than the Lizard Kings version.

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
ray70 wrote:

Paul Young - Love will Tear us Apart. I've got nothing against Paul Young, but hearing the song by someone other than Joy Division just makes me cringe.
All the others mentioned are dire, but I'm with Ray on this one: it isn't just appalling , but is also sacriligeous.

And: Sweet Jane by Dead Fingers Talk is a close second.

Boxer

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
boxer wrote:

ray70 wrote:
All the others mentioned are dire, but I'm with Ray on this one: it isn't just appalling , but is also sacriligeous.
Come on now - the Nouvelle Vague version is ace!
biggrin.png

potemkin

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2007
Lucie Silvas covering Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters". Awful. Truly Awful

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Matt J wrote:

Mike Flowers Pops - Wonderwall :minikiev:
Dunno, preferred it to the original myself. I never liked Wonderwall but Mike Flowers Pops' Val Doonican-esque cheesey pisstake version seemed so outrageously naff that it actually worked. Wouldn't buy it of course.
71_71.gif.3e6d891ee0cc25b2acfe143a79a91cc1.gif

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Leonard Smalls wrote:

Paul wrote:
Two Worst for me where Atomic Kittens (IIRC) cover of "under the Bridge"
I think it was All Saints...

Either way, the chillis should have told them to fcuk off - but the chillis aren't what they used to be.
you ae prolly right, some manufactured female "band" really cringed when I heard it, the way they turned the most angst ridden part of the original song into a sickly rap stylee, shocking, have to say put me off the chillis since, if they allowed this to happen, they are as bad as the Louis Walshes of this world.

At least some of the others mentioned did reasonable covers (in a technical, musician ship way I mean)even though folks didn't like them.

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have just had the great misfortune to hear Burt Bacharach/Hal David's classic "Close To You", once memorably performed by the Carpenters in the style for which it was written, but now totally massacred by Paul Weller

doctorjuggles

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 13, 2006
London, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That Girls Aloud vs Sugababes cover of 'Walk This Way' that's on the radio at the moment turd.

And it's not a cover, but that godawful remix of 'The Wall' that's being played a lot on the radio at the moment makes me want to go on a killing spree. Utter rubbish.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
meninblack wrote:

boxer wrote:
ray70 wrote:
Come on now - the Nouvelle Vague version is ace!
biggrin.png
No it's not it's dreadful, turned a classic in to a supermarket jingle. They should be shot at dawn for what they did to that song.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles