Would you pay more for a UK-made product?

Would you pay more for a UK-made product?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• Don't know.

• Total voters

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you were looking for a 'product' and said 'product' could be bought more cheaply from an overseas manufacturer than it could be bought from a UK manufacturer then would you pay more for the product from the UK manufacturer than you wouldfor the product from the overseas manufacturer?

Basically, are you willing to pay more for something purely because it is made in the UK?

A nice simple poll. Just the three poll options.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
notaclue wrote:

If you were looking for a 'product' and said 'product' could be bought more cheaply from an overseas manufacturer than it could be bought from a UK manufacturer then would you pay more for the product from the UK manufacturer than you wouldfor the product from the overseas manufacturer?Basically, are you willing to pay more for something purely because it is made in the UK?

A nice simple poll. Just the three poll options.
No because to me its not just the product but value for money. Money saved by buying from overseas means more kit for my pound, and more to spend on music.

Buying stuff built overseas still can help the UK, if you buy and support a UK based dealer. Crikey even a web based one at times.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Actually, if I had lots of disposable income I would, but I don't because Gordon taxes the arse off me, so I have to answer No at this stage.:Not Sure:

A

adam

I don't care less where it is made,who makes it,as long as the prices are good,the products sounds exellent,and back up service,that's my criteria,if UK buisness prices itself out of buisness blame high wages and the government taxes I guess.

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Items that aremade in the UKare usually to a lower build quality than those made overseas IME. "Made in the UK" doesn't mean what it used to.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You have to work VERY hard to still feel patriotic these days...if I still had some personal liberty, freedom and felt that the country was going somewhere other than downhill fast, I would support any UK industry. Right now however, I just can't wait to get out.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Good example of why not to buy UK built was mine and others, who waited for the new Quad II-forties.

Sounded ok but so many problems (Built in Bradford) when mine stopped working they was swapped for a brand new set (Built in China) no problems

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
rockmeister wrote:

You have to work VERY hard to still feel patriotic these days...if I still had some personal liberty, freedom and felt that the country was going somewhere other than downhill fast, I would support any UK industry. Right now however, I just can't wait to get out.
I'm of the opinion that this country is fuc*ed too. Tony has seen to it in less than ten years. Normally a government has been able to come in and rectify the damage of a previous one, to a large extent. I just don't think that's possible now. Back to the thread though, I'm not fussed if my item has been made by an underpaid chav Englishman. I'd sooner it was made by a Jap TBH.

Matt J

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 7, 2006
Not Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Injector wrote:

I'm of the opinion that this country is fuc*ed too. Tony has seen to it in less than ten years. Normally a government has been able to come in and rectify the damage of a previous one, to a large extent. I just don't think that's possible now. Back to the thread though, I'm not fussed if my item has been made by an underpaid chav Englishman. I'd sooner it was made by a Jap TBH.
Thats a bit harsh mate, I think you'll find any Englishman in a skilled job takes pride in his work much more than any other nationality, we have a history of long term, time served apprenticeship's, I work for a jap company and we have loads of japs based on site, they always comment how our maintenance guys are better trained and skilled than any of the other plants all over the world, just because someone is in theblue collarsectordoesnt automatically make them a poorlyeducated chav throwing things together.

Iknow because I've been there, these idiots dont last 5 minutes in a proper skilled industry, regardless of pay. Japs are robots, they do things parrot fashion, no skill or background as to why things are made like they are, they are taught to do something one way only and not to ask why, trust me, thats how they try to train us, they treat everyone the same regardless of background or qualifications, we're all treated like idiots who shouldnt be trusted with details like why we do thingsthe way wedo. In my opinionit makes fora higherskilled employee, if they know the ins and outs of the job then they can spot problems and make sure the jobs right.

Sorry for ranting but this is a topic close to my own heart, and until some people have seen things first hand its very hard to imagine what its like.

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Matt J wrote:

Injector wrote:
Thats a bit harsh mate, I think you'll find any Englishman in a skilled job takes pride in his work much more than any other nationality, we have a history of long term, time served apprenticeship's, I work for a jap company and we have loads of japs based on site, they always comment how our maintenance guys are better trained and skilled than any of the other plants all over the world, just because someone is in theblue collarsectordoesnt automatically make them a poorlyeducated chav throwing things together.

Iknow because I've been there, these idiots dont last 5 minutes in a proper skilled industry, regardless of pay. Japs are robots, they do things parrot fashion, no skill or background as to why things are made like they are, they are taught to do something one way only and not to ask why, trust me, thats how they try to train us, they treat everyone the same regardless of background or qualifications, we're all treated like idiots who shouldnt be trusted with details like why we do thingsthe way wedo. In my opinionit makes fora higherskilled employee, if they know the ins and outs of the job then they can spot problems and make sure the jobs right.

Sorry for ranting but this is a topic close to my own heart, and until some people have seen things first hand its very hard to imagine what its like.
Yes, point taken. I know there are a lot of skilled workers in the UK but they don't seem to be making the products I buy.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Matt J wrote:

Injector wrote:

Well said, we have a lot going for us. Sometimes its easy to beleive the papers and write us off as a bad lot, but the biggest weakness with this country is the popular press and media.*

We should give British manufacturers and engineers far more credit.

*We have the government we've got and will get the next government because of those slimey cunts.

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes I would, and where possible do, I have as much UK made stuff as possible, although some has Jap badges. Next thing will be to try a UK built car- stupidly probably Honda.

A lot of what is wrong with UK industry is NOT on the shop floor, some is, but a lot is in the copied american management structures,our unwillingness to make waves when we know something needs to be changed, or the short term view of the financial institutions.

And if you think we are highley taxed, take a look at some our our european friends tax levels.

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Whether its UK made or not doesn't really matter to me as long as its value for money - I try to believe in a world economy/free market where the consumer has power (how misguided am I???).

Take MF for example - there UK made kit I believe is better than their Eastern built stuff although the new x-series is quite lush but then you look at the finish on Quad speakers and think no chance could you get that at the same price if it was UK made.

As for UK workers, I'd say they are more conscientious than many countries I have seen (pride is more prevalent) - it's a shame that UK industry has pretty much been annihilated but that is a function of Profit/loss management that businesses have to employ to prevent themselves from completely disappearing (back to the free market I suppose).

Glens of Antrim

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Norn Iron, , United
Difficult one. My heart says 'yes'; but my head says 'no'. After all while most of my stuff is UK designed, it's built in the Far East & bought 2nd hand
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
Oh & my speakers are French

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
AdamK wrote:

surprised no one has mentioned NAIM as a prime example.
As an example of what ? I would expect even Naim who have a robot to put bits on boards buy a few bits from China ? Its not as if they turn over that much ?

The following they have , should keep them going for years, even if they have to start building in China

They will be able to explain it to loyal fan base, as they have managed in the past

tone arm type?

cable upgrades

if the goal post moves they will have an answer, which is how its should be

the loyal fan base and high quality kit keeps them going, if they built off shore might it be even "better" than now ? and if it took a few bob off the cdx2 might buy another

Miller-8

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 6, 2005
Midlothian, UK
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes Chinese build quality can be very good, depend on the wages they offer in the factory. It will still be a fraction of UK wages.

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What is happening in hi fi kit at the moment is very similar to what has been happening over the last 2-3 years in the carp fishing tackle market. The cheap gear starts to come in, people rave about the price- not the quality, the price. Then the major 'names' started to get their kit produced in china- at lower prices.

Now more people are realising that very often lower prices still meant lower quality, the bling was still there, and the smart paint jobs, but not the underlying quality, the basic design etc.

The chinese goods are starting to get up to the quality levels of the UK based makers, and so are the prices. That could be increased manufacturing costs allied to transport costs, or it could be greedy importers. What has happend is the the UK makers are seeing a increase in demand for their products, as all though they are more expensive they work out at better value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles