Gaffer

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 22, 2005
South Blighty
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had many 'phones over the years.

First one something like Sony MD-V1 or something.

Aiwa 17mm in-ear ones (amazing bass), Panny 16mm in-ear ones.

Sennheiser HD480II's

Sennheiser HD575's (too screechy re:treble for me)

Sony MDR-EX71slw (ditto screechy treble)

Sennheiser PX100's (fantastic)

Sennhesier CX300's (just arrived)

Without a doubt, the best set I have EVER heard (with a sound I remember to this day) was the HD480II's. Superb in every area (bass, midrange, treble, timing, soundstage etc etc).

GUESS WHAT I JUST BOUGHT:

Dscf3305.jpg

:shocked:

Original NOS factory sealed, ex-BBC broadcast monitor cans (I'm so happy, I feel like crying).
36_1_44.gif

Can't wait for delivery
36_1_21.gif

Gaffer

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 22, 2005
South Blighty
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
he hee, yeah I know...
tongue.png

...but just for completeness, wouldn't mind have all the official specs/figures plus any other paraphanalia it came with

hifikrazy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
, ,
AKA
Tim
Dont suppose whoever sold those to you has anymore?! Always wanted a pair myself. Nice find - enjoy
smile.png

Gaffer

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 22, 2005
South Blighty
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanx Dave. Bizarrely, I found it on the french sennheiser site and a uk site that sells 'em.

HiFikrazy = You can get them unused from here http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/item_54-175_3001270.aspx

but at a whopping £87
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
or therabouts.

Alternatively, whilst e-mailing back and fro with the e-bay seller, (he is a very nice chap btw) he mentioned that he gets them from a friend who sells surplus broadcast gear. He says he has sold a few in the past on e-bay and is likely to get some more in the future so keep your eyes peeled.

PS he lists them in the pro-audio section rather than the Hi-Fi section.....just type in HD480II under 'all' categories and they'll appear if listed.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Gaffer74 wrote:

Thanx Dave. Bizarrely, I found it on the french sennheiser site and a uk site that sells 'em.HiFikrazy = You can get them unused from here http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/item_54-175_3001270.aspx

but at a whopping £87
or therabouts.

Alternatively, whilst e-mailing back and fro with the e-bay seller, (he is a very nice chap btw) he mentioned that he gets them from a friend who sells surplus broadcast gear. He says he has sold a few in the past on e-bay and is likely to get some more in the future so keep your eyes peeled.

PS he lists them in the pro-audio section rather than the Hi-Fi section.....just type in HD480II under 'all' categories and they'll appear if listed.
£87 ? did you pay that ?

Gaffer

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 22, 2005
South Blighty
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No no (much cheaper ).

That's just the price at canford (hence the
)

I got mine for around £50 for New, unused 'phones which I think is great:D

Gaffer

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 22, 2005
South Blighty
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Right, I got the 'phones today.

hd480ii11bb.jpg

Very nicely/solidly made cable/jack btw.

First off I measured the impedance and they are 1700 Ohm designs.

So I guess I have the HD 480-13 IIUK ones then.

Then I noticed that the jack plug is slightly different to a standard 1/4" jack. It's very very slightly fatter and slightly more "bulbous" on the tip.

hd480ii21ue.jpg

This means that plugging it into the X-cans directly is OK, but you have to seat it firmly, otherwise you only get sound from the left ear. I also made my own extension cable using OFC wire and a spare 1/4" female plug module. This normally works fine with any other headphone I've ever used (and no loss of quality either
biggrin.png
) but here, I can't seem to seat it well enough to get stereo sound (only comes out of left ear again). So it's no more extension cable for me then.

Here it is next to my slightly modded X-cans and also with them warmed up, ready to go

phonesamp1im.jpg

p10003448hn.jpg

Sound is Fan-F***ing-Tastic. The x-cans have no trouble driving these 'phones at all. Loud levels are at the 12'oclock position, with comfortable listening at 11:30ish.

Also, bringing the x-cans home may have solved the background hum I heard previously in my flat and using the HD575's. No hum or hiss at all. Lovely transparent clear sound
smile.png

Overall VERY happy with both the SQ and the loudness
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

peter312

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2005
Cheshire, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very pleased for you, Gaffer. That's one chunky jack plug!

Funnily enough, I recently bought a set of used, but excellentcondition standard HD480 II's for £15 from eBay, for my son. He really likes 'em.

I shall keep an eye out for that fella putting any more on eBay.

Cheers

Peter

Gaffer

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 22, 2005
South Blighty
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yep Peter, I'm really quite chuffed considering they were still sealed and sound great. As I mentioned, the seller assured me he would have more at a later date, so keep yer eyes peeled.

Geordie...yes, I was surprised too. Apparently the BBC required this high ohmage because of the amps they used? High ohm designs require high voltage, whereas low ohm designs require higher current.

I don't really mind 'cos the x-cans drives them brilliantly (I was worried I'd need a more powerful headphone amp, but this valve hybrid produces more than enough juice for it).

EDIT:

Well I managed to figure out one thing:

In the UK most professional systems employ the PO316 connector (also known as B-gauge) which is an extremely rugged format originally designed for telephone switchboards (before they used switches!). It uses a three-pole plug (see photograph below), making it ideal for balanced audio circuits, and is constructed from brass. Although it has roughly the same dimensions as the more familiar A-gauge TRS jack plug there is a significant difference between the two: the tip of the PO316 is rounded and slightly smaller than the angular, enlarged tip of the A-gauge.This might not sound particularly important, but it means that the contact springs in the PO316 socket don't bend very far when the plug is inserted, reducing the stress on the contacts and lowering the effort needing to insert the plug. The contacts are also arranged to wipe along the plug as it is inserted, helping to keep them clean and ensuring good contact. Inserting an A-gauge plug in a PO316 socket will cause irreparable damage, permanently bending or breaking the spring contacts. Plugging a PO316 (B-gauge) plug into a TRS socket will result in a very dodgy connection, as the contacts will barely reach the thinner-bodied plug.
So standard 1/4" used in home audio are always A-Gauge TRS jacks, whereas telephony 1/4" used in studio's are sometimes B-Guage P0316.

My senny's come with these more unusual brass B-Gauge jacks...which explains the iffy connection in the X-cans and incorrect sound via the extension lead.

I might change it for a standard Nutrik all metal A-Gauge at some point (maplins/rs components).
smile.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles