WTD: Bi wire speaker cables and/or advice...

Gary

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 18, 2016
Hi All,

Have recently bought some Totem Rainmakers to pit against my Sonus Faber Concertino's, and I'm using a Hegel H90 with Tellurium Q Black 2 cables. Have a couple of REL T-zero subs too, and they are run on high level via banana plugs whilst the main speakers are spades.

The Totem's are bi wire capable (unlike the Sonus), so I feel I should probably do them the courtesy of trying it out.

So as far as cable is concerned I'm looking for something that would be similar in quality/performance to the Tellurium Q Black 2, but obviously bi wire, and at least 2m long.

As far as advice is concerned, I'm enthusiastic but not very knowledgeable, and one thought I had was just to buy another matching pair of the Q's with spades like I already have, and them sandwich them both together at the amp end. I can't get my head around if that's a good idea or not, if maybe it would hinder the signal somehow, so I was wondering anyone had any input on that?

Many thanks in advance, quite happy to entertain suggestions as to whether even bothering with bi wire is worth the effort :)

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi All,

Have recently bought some Totem Rainmakers to pit against my Sonus Faber Concertino's, and I'm using a Hegel H90 with Tellurium Q Black 2 cables. Have a couple of REL T-zero subs too, and they are run on high level via banana plugs whilst the main speakers are spades.

The Totem's are bi wire capable (unlike the Sonus), so I feel I should probably do them the courtesy of trying it out.

So as far as cable is concerned I'm looking for something that would be similar in quality/performance to the Tellurium Q Black 2, but obviously bi wire, and at least 2m long.

As far as advice is concerned, I'm enthusiastic but not very knowledgeable, and one thought I had was just to buy another matching pair of the Q's with spades like I already have, and them sandwich them both together at the amp end. I can't get my head around if that's a good idea or not, if maybe it would hinder the signal somehow, so I was wondering anyone had any input on that?

Many thanks in advance, quite happy to entertain suggestions as to whether even bothering with bi wire is worth the effort :)
It's not. 

Buy some TQ jumpers instead then sit back and enjoy your tunes.

• Upvote
Reactions: TheFlash and bigrod

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's not. 

Buy some TQ jumpers instead then sit back and enjoy your tunes.
Ps your TQ Black 2 cable is imo very good. I also have this. Therefore, unless you feel the need to change stick with this and do as above 👍

Gary

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 18, 2016
Ps your TQ Black 2 cable is imo very good. I also have this. Therefore, unless you feel the need to change stick with this and do as above 👍
Yes I was admittedly very surprised by that cable, I bought it primarily because I switched to standmounts and I needed something more discreet than I had. Plus obviously loads of people rave about it so I gave it a go. It's really very good.

The jumpers upgrade is a good suggestion, I hadn't thought about that but it makes sense.

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've never understood the rationale for bi-wiring. It's basically like having twice as much copper isn't it? Bi-amping may well be different (you'll hear different views on this) but with a single amp I'd focus, as others have suggested, on good quality cable over a single run - and you already have that.

ovlov854

Super Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2013
Solihull
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've never understood the rationale for bi-wiring. It's basically like having twice as much copper isn't it? Bi-amping may well be different (you'll hear different views on this) but with a single amp I'd focus, as others have suggested, on good quality cable over a single run - and you already have that.
Yes I would agree with this

wino2020

Have to try this!
Wammer
Jan 18, 2014
Dundee
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nothing to be lost by a spot of experimenting. Better than time spent wondering and wondering…..

Zen Monkey

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2015
Welsh Mountains
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bi wiring does produce a different sound (compared to single wiring) and isn't as pointless as some suggest. Whether it produces a nicer, better or more authentic sound is a matter of perception. I personally would single wire and fit jumpers made from the same cable as the main speaker cables, installed in the diagonal position (see pic below) for improved treble/bass balance.

20140910_111217.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online