Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 6, 2007
NZ & loving it!
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I like XRCD. The difference between these and CDs is in the mastering and manufacture, two areas where significant economies have been made by mass-production.

The end result is a better quality item, costing more than a standard disc, but still fully compatible with the red book standard and sounding much better.

Last Order

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 24, 2013
Generally they are outstanding, some are terrific. Depends on the quality of the Playback System. I am not up to date now but I think there are cheap XRCD's (avoid those) and the more expensive ones, these are the ones to buy (see Pic)

1zx9t9g.jpg

gjm

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 6, 2007
NZ & loving it!
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have a couple - don't sound much improved to me. Waste of money IMO
I'm really surprised - even our gifted Denon midi shows a clear distinction between standard and XRCD. I'd expect your CDC to do the same - the difference is in the quality of the recording, something most replay systems should have no trouble with demonstrating.

alienprophet

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 17, 2013
Kent
AKA
Bob
Without going into the process and ins and outs etc.

Several years ago i bought about 12 xrcd, back in the day when Vivante where still running.

In my experience every one i used sounded significantly better than a standard cd of the same recording, to be fair i had a very nice cd replay system in those days.

I still do notice a difference on the elderly linn cd player i currently use and likewise even notice a difference when i experimented with a cheapy bluray player.

I can't say they all offer an improvement but certainly all the discs i have tried did.

It could even simply be partly down to the sound engineers tastes at time of remastering?

I suppose it depends to some degree on what you are expecting and what your reference point is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles