Yamaha a-s1100 Vs musical fidelity A5 pre ?

halcro

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2011
Edinburgh
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi I currently have a Yamaha a-s1100 driving my Dali epicon 2's. I have been offered a musical fidelity A5 pre amp and the guy will also throw in either a Onkyo 9755 or Arcam a22 in the deal. I have plans in the future to upgrade to a dedicated power amp but will use one the onkyo or acram as a temporary power amp for the time being.
My question is will I hear an improvement going to separates or am I making a big mistake. I just fancy trying something different and the offer is from someone local so thought it might be worth a punt. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Regards Craig

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not always the case but often the pre-amp section of an integrated can be the weakest link. If the guy is local, can he not bring the boxes round for you to try in your system? That way if your hear a benefit he can leave with shillings in his pocket, if not then hang fire and save your pennies for a time when your hear a vfm improvement.

Reactions: halcro

halcro

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2011
Edinburgh
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks I have always fancied trying musical fidelity not sure how they match with the Dali's though. My concern is the amp driving the speakers and whether it's a step backwards. I think he is happy to bring the stuff to me so we can hook it up and see how it sounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online