Yet another crossover project...

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well I blame @Non-Smoking Man - he pointed me at the Elliott Sound Products page where there are various interesting projects for building Linkwitz-Riley crossovers, including one for a (mono) 4-channel 24dB/octave job:

https://sound-au.com/project125.htm

So in a fit of madness I pressed the button on a pair of PCBs for this project a few weeks ago and they finally arrived in the post today all the way from Oz. Very nicely produced boards, and quite small (70X142mm or thereabouts). Not decided yet quite how I will build these up - obvious initial choice being discrete mono xovers in separate boxes vs both xovers in a single box, but there are other considerations, particularly making it as easy as possible to change the crossover frequencies, as I'm sure a circuit like this is likely to get re-purposed a few times in its lifetime. I will have a looksee as to whether the trick xKitz does can be applied here - using headers on the board with plug-in resistor modules to choose the frequency. Unfortunately the board layout isn't as amenable as I would like for that kind of approach, but we'll see.

More when the right supply of round tuits is available...

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Meanwhile I'm gearing up for a DIY build using passive crossovers. I have planty of capacitors and resistors, but I'll have to start winding coils using the LCR meter I just bought. Never wound a coil before but it can't be rocket science.

Reactions: Tony_J

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cool project. What kind of power supply will you use?

Is the power regulator on the board, looks like it ?
I haven't investigated power supplies yet but I think you're right that you can include an onboard reg. Something else to figure out in due course.

Reactions: Psilonaught

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well I blame @Non-Smoking Man - he pointed me at the Elliott Sound Products page where there are various interesting projects for building Linkwitz-Riley crossovers, including one for a (mono) 4-channel 24dB/octave job:

https://sound-au.com/project125.htm

So in a fit of madness I pressed the button on a pair of PCBs for this project a few weeks ago and they finally arrived in the post today all the way from Oz. Very nicely produced boards, and quite small (70X142mm or thereabouts). Not decided yet quite how I will build these up - obvious initial choice being discrete mono xovers in separate boxes vs both xovers in a single box, but there are other considerations, particularly making it as easy as possible to change the crossover frequencies, as I'm sure a circuit like this is likely to get re-purposed a few times in its lifetime. I will have a looksee as to whether the trick xKitz does can be applied here - using headers on the board with plug-in resistor modules to choose the frequency. Unfortunately the board layout isn't as amenable as I would like for that kind of approach, but we'll see.

More when the right supply of round tuits is available...
All this from a man who once told me I’m one of the ones who are over spending money on hi-fi :D And someone who’s just bought a do it all top of the line DSP, no expense spared ;)

Glad to see you haven’t really lost the bug Tony 🤣

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At least you aren't paying dealer prices for the privilege!
Yes I get that, although shopping around these days with the internet there is some very nice gear to buy as bargains new/used or returns, perhaps more cost-effective than DIY as well. In many ways it makes more sense as the price on components is nowhere near as cheap as it used to be. Some decent cheapish tweeters and drive units are not so cheap any more.

I understand the making your own and the satisfaction from that though. I’ve got a few projects myself on hold because we’ve recently moved and looking to move again at some point. A garage and workspace for such things again will be high on my list.

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No progress so far Jack - unfortunately the summer is a busy time for us. May have to wait until later in the year!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.