Your 2022 personal hifi prediction... Did it pan out??

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For the last couple of years there's been a what's your hifi plans for the coming year thread pop up at years end. Though there never seems to be a well did things go to plan so thought I'd start one.
For me a year ago I thought I was, pretty much there and at best I would maybe have a lowish cost play with cables. Did that pan out? Hell no!
Instead of the <£300 spend I envisaged on wires (excluding music) I've blown around £5.2k on wires and kit this year.
Complete IC & SC change
Added a Mutec MC-3+USB & external 10Mhz clock
Swapped pimped Node2 for a new Innuos ZenITH mk3
Changed from valve to SS amps (already had)

So how did your plans workout against your posted predictions??

Reactions: hiesteem

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Didn't quite go according to plan....

Was going to invest in a top-flight cartridge. Didn't.
Was going to find a tube-based amp to make my MLs sing. Epic fail.
Was considering improving my digital front end with an upmarket CDT to partner my DAC. Ended up having to sell the DAC (again - waaa!) and go back to a cheap & modestly cheerful CD setup

What I did do, that I hadn't planned, was to end up coming sort-of full circle on the amplification - swapping a Class-D integrated for the valves, and then back to a different Class-D integrated, albeit one that partners better with the MLs than the previous incumbent.

So much for plans! Next year I'm not planning anything, so I can't be disappointed with whatever I end up doing

• Haha

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
pretty much

Start of the year plan was to save up for higher DAC, RME or a Chord Qutest where the two main ones but a winter sale on the RME meant I ended up with that and keeping the Mojo which I was better off with than just the Qutest IMO.

A few pairs of IEMs which was the plan, from very cheap entering the mid-fi

The Elegia were a surprise, but a very pleasant one. I wanted a better closed back for the downstairs system but wasn't expecting to spend quite that much even though the Elegia had dropped quite heavily in price.

Slightly unexpected was a new downstairs system, headphone amp and DAC but actually, again, I managed to spend half of the RRP on stuff on sale and I'm much happier with what I have.

The only truly unexpected change was dropping Amazon HD. Finally got annoyed with the app on Chromebook. Having now tried all the big boys (except Apple) I ended up with Tidal. Seems strange changing streaming services but that's the way it is for me now.

I expect a much more quiet year next year.

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I got my monster speaker setup finished (well structurally ) need to sort out some cabinet aesthetics yet. It’s tuned in now and si going passive with the tweeters sounding really good.

2023 will be all about fit/finish and a rack build or two

Wenge1

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 19, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had no plans whatsoever and yet I somehow ended up changing my speakers for Kudos S20A's. Sometimes no plans at all end up becoming great outcomes ........... (y)

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bit hit and miss really

Sugden into reserve (well one of them, other sold). More powerful amp to drive the Harbeths (Exposure)

Sold the Gyro and Audiomods arm for a simpler vinyl life with a new Thorens TD1600 (ordered a Benz cartridge to complement) but the AT OX9XML is doing a sterling job atm

Sold DAC in favour of the soon to be upgraded (factory) Restek CDP

Tweaked a few cables

Sold off a load of turntables because I don’t have time anymore to tinker because I’ve started a new job.

Having the big C a few years back affects your mind and future planning but luckily I got the all clear again last week which gives you a boost to plan a few things like a bake-off (sorry for the delay @Lurch 😊)

It was great to meet up with a few of you guys this year too, big thanks to @GLB (Chris) for helping me out this year, we will book that meal soon 👍🏻

Next year, the new Benz will arrive and the Restek gets a makeover. That’s as far as I have planned.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had planned to build/re-build the second 845 and re-do the 300B. So far, the 300B is in bits again and the 845 is stalled. I had also planned to tidy up the phono stage, preamp and DAC. I'm now five phono stages, four preamps and three DACs deep. Mind you, it's all sounding rather decent at the moment, so I'm not complaining. Apart from about the lack of workshop and rack space.

• Haha

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any chance of a link to the thread where we posted our plans?

I think I said I would stick with my speakers, try and reduce my box count (and headphones and amps) and I have broadly done that this year.

Ok bit of a blip where I bought some Amphion Xenons (or was that last year I lose track) but I did move them on. Another blip where I bought another pair of big boxes unseen which are currently with Keith. But they do look nice and they're rare so I don't feel bad 😂

Managed to sell a couple of DACs, a spare Zen, a few pairs of headphones and maybe one of the headphone amps. Also started a cable clear out.

Did a bit of minor flipping on the odd Gumtree purchase but didn't lose anything. Played around with cables a bit. Sorted the bias on my Monarchy class A amps.

Oh yes also tried a couple of amps and
then sold them on. Ripped loads of CDs.

So given lots of other stuff has been going on in life I'm quite pleased with myself overall.

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was going to put my HiFi back together and haven't finished it. I do have the telly, the DVD & VHS machines, a CDP, a scart switch box and an Arcam Alpha operational, but the VHS remote control doesn't work.

EDIT Pleez don't assume from the above, that audio is not my first priority. It's just that I found the AV system easier to put together first with a CDP on the side.

Last edited:

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My plans took a nosedive !! Got my horns sounding absolutely stunning , better than magico in my opinion . Then had a bit of a healthscare and thought how the heck would my family get them down 3 flights of stairs !! Let alone sell them !! So they went to a nice new home . I doubt if anything could EVER match them ....🙄

Reactions: hiesteem and norton

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I’ve wanted new speakers for a long time but didn’t think this year would be the year. Handed my notice in, in January. Started my new job in April, got a bonus in September and new speakers in October. Result!

Out went Proac Studio 150, in came Proac DB1. The DB1s were exactly what I was looking for.

Of course started to think about new amplification now but we’re seriously considering moving so that will have to wait.

Cheers BB

Chumpchops

From the safest places come the bravest words.
Wammer
Oct 3, 2014
Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Plans (ok pipe dream meanderings) came to fruition. Bought unheard, on basis of Yt reviews and managed hype, online direct aio speakers direct from Denmark.

Matched and surpassed expectations and provided immense listening fun joy n pleasure since their arrival. So much so that neither know nor care exactly what brand the three dac chips in each speaker are. I just enjoying listening way over the hype and expectation.

Even has the first neighbour complaints for years, on account of my ‘sb woofers’. Lol.

Where I’ve been wrong: predicting Roon to cease operations.

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
About half way through the year I decided to stop using any indirectly heated tubes, even the 6SN7 and 6J5 types which are pretty good.

Instead I started using only directly heated DHTs with a Hammond 1140-LN-C 1:4 step-up transformer. This raised the whole sound to a new and higher level. So just 2 stages of amplification from my DAC plus the SUT. I've been using 2P29L, 112A, 46 and best of all 10Y into my 2a3 outputs. I should have done this back in 2012 when I was building with DHTs. The big step was buying the Hammond SUT which made everything else happen. So very happy!

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was quite happy with everything at years start and had no plans to mess up the sound.

So, I have a new Dac which is a serious improvement (Gustard X16) and have ordered a new LOMC cartridge (which should've been here now-ish. Call/email 2mrw methinks). - having decided I'd stick with my 2M Black.

Don't make plans.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
losing a couple of close family members I realise life is too short for making plans . I’ve spent more time with a lovely family and close friends , I also have nice sounding music ..
Although I’m planning on getting married to my lovely Diane next year ..

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Things could not have gone more differently than my plans for 2022. Thought I would not be spending a single cent on my system, yet every component has been changed, hoping that is me sorted.

• Haha
Reactions: harv and lazycat

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online