Your thoughts and advice please

S

smu

Hi, over the past year i've been tweekin my system,isolation,foam acoustic panals on walls,music works 6 way mega block,with stunning results. My next tweek/upgrade will be either the interconnect linking my naim 5x to my Primare i30 amp or the mains cable running into my amp. The interconnect i have at the moment is the chord solid 2 din-phono and i was thinking about going for the new anthem 2,the mains cable going into my amp at the moment is Merlins tarantula (£50) i had russ andrews signature power chord in mind. I would really appreciate your thoughts and advise on what would be the more significant upgrade,with the long term value in mind. I'm after more detail,pace,and sweatness in the mids and hi freq's. I'm into rock,classical,female vocals and watching lipstick lesbians finger each other in the bum!

regards, smu.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
smu wrote:

Hi, over the past year i've been tweekin my system,isolation,foam acoustic panals on walls,music works 6 way mega block,with stunning results. My next tweek/upgrade will be either the interconnect linking my naim 5x to my Primare i30 amp or the mains cable running into my amp. The interconnect i have at the moment is the chord solid 2 din-phono and i was thinking about going for the new anthem 2,the mains cable going into my amp at the moment is Merlins tarantula (£50) i had russ andrews signature power chord in mind. I would really appreciate your thoughts and advise on what would be the more significant upgrade,with the long term value in mind. I'm after more detail,pace,and sweatness in the mids and hi freq's. I'm into rock,classical,female vocals and watching lipstick lesbians finger each other in the bum!regards, smu.
I think you should think about starting again with cables

and go for one company

be it Chord Russ or Merlin or even Lat

they can all supply everything you need

chezi61

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Fife , Scotland.
Have a look at Krystal Kables , I have a KK Mercury powercord that blows away the similarly priced Russ Andrews Classic.

Just look for a post by Effem and you'll get the link there.
wink.png

chezi

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like the KK mains cables too.

But I much prefer the (cheaper) Titan to the Mercury - I found the Mercury too bright in my system. YMMV etc.

Frank at KK does a "trial" on the mains leads I think - so check this out and give them a go !

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Music works mains blocks - just noticed what you said - hmmm - I've just replaced a KK Titan mains block with a Musicworks block to useful effect. Maybe you need to try a more upmarket KK cable - the sky's the limit I think!

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Davewhityetagain wrote:

I think you should think about starting again with cablesand go for one company

Hmmm ... I've never bought into this "coherent cable loom" mallarky.

I always prefer to mix'n'match.

Try it and see, I guess.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
smu wrote:

Hi, over the past year i've been tweekin my system,isolation,foam acoustic panals on walls,music works 6 way mega block,with stunning results. My next tweek/upgrade will be either the interconnect linking my naim 5x to my Primare i30 amp or the mains cable running into my amp. The interconnect i have at the moment is the chord solid 2 din-phono and i was thinking about going for the new anthem 2,the mains cable going into my amp at the moment is Merlins tarantula (£50) i had russ andrews signature power chord in mind. I would really appreciate your thoughts and advise on what would be the more significant upgrade,with the long term value in mind. I'm after more detail,pace,and sweatness in the mids and hi freq's. I'm into rock,classical,female vocals and watching lipstick lesbians finger each other in the bum!regards, smu.
:wall:bloody cables again
kaffeetrinker_2.gif.ba76878d555418d609a6f9e8389072ea.gif
76.gif.3cbb85032d80aef89d0d9e373387958a.gif
:yeah:

S

smu

Davewhityetagain wrote:

smu wrote:

and go for one company

My speaker cable is also chord,the epic super twin and its a fekin revelation! But i haven't heard anything great about they're mains lead.

S

smu

JANDL100 wrote:

Music works mains blocks - just noticed what you said - hmmm - I've just replaced a KK Titan mains block with a Musicworks block to useful effect. Maybe you need to try a more upmarket KK cable - the sky's the limit I think!
Thanks for that. My budget is £300 MAX
cry_smile.gif.e6f167d6925baafe229b8957ba771316.gif

Picard

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
try z-squared from the US for fast, detailed. chord and tara labs as well. all second hand.

technobear

Ursine Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2005
Glastonbury, UK
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I am happy to recommend the Krystal Kables Sterling 2 interconnect (a very significant improvement over the Sterling 1 which was itself a significant improvement over the Van den Hul D102mkIII).

As for mains cables, I use 2.5mm twin & earth (ring main), two lengths twisted together, terminated with gold-plated 3-pin and IEC plugs by Furutech.

This recipe was arrived at after a fortnight of testing with several cable types and with several plug types including silver-plated, gold-plated and rhodium-plated.

I don't use power strips, the cables go straight from the kit to the wall. Use unswitched wall sockets of good quality (e.g MK).

My theory is that the above minimises the effect of connection points (plugs and sockets) and effectively extends the ring main to the kit. The twisting gives it some noise rejection too.

Pure silver is very good but it rapidly becomes very expensive for anything more than an interconnect.

I use pure silver speaker cables but only because I got them second hand at a good price. They are better than Van Damme by some margin but value-for-money is obviously much poorer.

S

smu

So. . . .do i go for the music works power chord because i have the music works mega block OR do i go for the chord company power chord because my interconnect and speaker cables are chord ? with such cost involved its a bit of a tricky one.

harv

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
smu wrote:

So. . . .do i go for the music works power chord because i have the music works mega block OR do i go for the chord company power chord because my interconnect and speaker cables are chord ? with such cost involved its a bit of a tricky one.
I've always found the Solid 2 cable a bit hard sounding in the treble, if you're worried about cost you can also have a look at the missing link Their cables are more then reasonable and they offer a home trial period.

Franks cables are also great value for money
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
having used a Sterling Mki and Mkii, and mercury mains cable.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
smu wrote:

Davewhityetagain wrote:
smu wrote:

and go for one company

My speaker cable is also chord,the epic super twin and its a fekin revelation! But i haven't heard anything great about they're mains lead.
They are new in the market when it comes to mains leads I have tried them and might sell my Eupan and Lat and go one brand, still thinking about it.

they are to me good on tuner and cd player not made my mind up when it comes to amplifiers

G

I use the Epic and Chord Power leads and Chord cables between the Amplifier and Power Supply (Neutriks) with my MF NuVista M3 and much upgraded MF A5 Cd Player. The synergy is super (for me that is!!)
71_71.gif.3e6d891ee0cc25b2acfe143a79a91cc1.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichShortland