LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Wow, that's twice the price of the previous "Majik" arms.
Certainly makes the packaged Majik LP12 seem like a really good deal.
Yes, I was expecting the Krane to end up around there. Clearaudio sells their version of the same arm for $1700 here so it was hard to see the Linn version not being close to or above that price.

The Majik has always been a really good value and has only gotten better with the Karousel and the Krane. With a savings of over $1500 in the US it is almost like getting the arm for free, which is what it has always been in the past. I do wish they could get rid of the Majik power supply and fit the Lingo 12 Volt motor with something simpler to drive it. You would think that something along the lines of the Rega NEO TT-PSU, which they use for their 24 Volt motors, could work for the 12 Volt one and not increase the Majik LP12 cost much. Then we could finally get rid of the PITA slipover pulley for 45RPM!

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Absolutely. That's why I decided on a Majik kit.

My dealer and I added up the costs and even if I change the power supply for the Lingo4 and the standard base for the Trampolin 2, the Majik kit is still very interesting in terms of cost.

I have just updated my order to take the Majik MC with the Koil instead of the Adikt.
And those changes are a very good idea!

Reactions: airV

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wonder why Linn (knowing what was coming down the pike) didn't forego the Krane at $1800 and simply reprice the Akito at $2000 (or just drop it into the Majik LP12). It is supposedly better then the Krane and Linn has surely amortized all costs associated with R&D and manufacturing equipment for the arm. So it must be pretty much all profit at this point (especially considereing what Linn must be paying Clearaudio to manufacture the Krane - Clearaudio has to make a profit of this deal, too).

You'd think a Scotsman would know better......... :oops:

dikki

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2019
Amsterdam
www.dikki.nl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Was just thinking the same.

One thing that caught my attention in all this is that there's now an MC cartridge at Majik level with no MC phono stage at that level. Linn acknowledge that an MC phono stage must be used.
When I was thinking about going MC with my MDSM/3, my dealer informed me I would have to get an update of the internal preamp card of the MDSM. So there is a MC stage available for it. I suppose that would be the way to go for the Majiks.

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I was thinking about going MC with my MDSM/3, my dealer informed me I would have to get an update of the internal preamp card of the MDSM. So there is a MC stage available for it. I suppose that would be the way to go for the Majiks.
From memory, it’s the Mm/MC card that would be in the Akurate DSM. Not sure about the MDSM/4, though. The spec says that’s a hybrid analogue/digital stage.

’troll

airV

Wammer
May 16, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From memory, it’s the Mm/MC card that would be in the Akurate DSM. Not sure about the MDSM/4, though. The spec says that’s a hybrid analogue/digital stage.

’troll
Is this the same MM/MC card that would be in the Selekt DSM?

dikki

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2019
Amsterdam
www.dikki.nl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yeah, thanks. Mine is a /3. The current /4 version cannot be upgraded.

Can configure the Majik DSM to have a Moving Coil (MC) input? Or use a MC upgrade board to provide MC

No, the internal circuitry is only configurable for Moving Magnet (MM) and Line Level.
(The earlier Majik DSM's had the option of an upgrade board to allow this, But this is upgrade board cannot be fitted to the Majik DSM/4.)

So that means that indeed, there is no mc at Majik level.

Reactions: akamatsu

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Can configure the Majik DSM to have a Moving Coil (MC) input? Or use a MC upgrade board to provide MC

No, the internal circuitry is only configurable for Moving Magnet (MM) and Line Level.
(The earlier Majik DSM's had the option of an upgrade board to allow this, But this is upgrade board cannot be fitted to the Majik DSM/4.)

So that means that indeed, there is no mc at Majik level.
That's a bit of a drag, fortunately there are excellent external phono stages from Lejonklou, although too expensive for a Majik. Well, there are still a number of Lintos out there...

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's a bit of a drag, fortunately there are excellent external phono stages from Lejonklou, although too expensive for a Majik. Well, there are still a number of Lintos out there...
Yes, it’s very odd introducing a MC when the DSM doesn’t support it. Makes me wonder whether the MDSM is due an enhancement.

’troll

Reactions: akamatsu

Matteo

Matteo
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Milano, Italia
AKA
Matteo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For the new Koil cartridge, Linn recommends a capacitance of 100 nF; the internal MC board of the ADSM/3 has a fixed capacitance of 180 nF

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For the new Koil cartridge, Linn recommends a capacitance of 100 nF; the internal MC board of the ADSM/3 has a fixed capacitance of 180 nF
The capacitance isn't really that relevant for MC's, whereas for MM's it can lead to peaks or dips in the frequency response, if mismatched. For MC's the load (Ohm) is more relevant.

Matteo

Matteo
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Milano, Italia
AKA
Matteo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The capacitance isn't really that relevant for MC's, whereas for MM's it can lead to peaks or dips in the frequency response, if mismatched. For MC's the load (Ohm) is more relevant.
Thanks Tendaberry

I'm not an MC's lover, for practical reasons (3 kids around the house and stylus replacement every 2/3 years ...).

M.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.