tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I have a Sony tv connected to an 851a, which then runs a homebrew soundbar. I’m connecting the tv to the amp via the 3.5 headphone Jack from the tv to rca on the amp. My issue is the volume control has to be set halfway on the tv and up quite high on the amp. Can I use any other connection to the amp that gives a true audio gain to the amp? Here are some pics of the back of the tv F146FF26-BA6B-4466-ADA1-3455407A3D48.jpeg 1FBF3942-855F-4603-A230-BA52FF9E4E05.jpeg

Nativebon

MUZIC FIRST
Wammer Plus
Aug 9, 2018
London UK
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't know how old your tv is, but if you got dynamic compression on your tv sound settings this may significantly improve level output.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Does the tv have a digital out? I can connect mine to my streamer then play it through that. Volume is similar to other music on streamer.

Using the headphone outlet is probably not the best option.

Reactions: DomT and Strider

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you have ARC on one of your hdmi sockets and an hdmi in on your 851N then that may be a, possibility.

Reactions: DomT

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a Sony tv connected to an 851a, which then runs a homebrew soundbar. I’m connecting the tv to the amp via the 3.5 headphone Jack from the tv to rca on the amp. My issue is the volume control has to be set halfway on the tv and up quite high on the amp. Can I use any other connection to the amp that gives a true audio gain to the amp? Here are some pics of the back of the tv
I had a similar problem with my TV. One of the issues that I had was excessive bass during the action scenes, but dialogue was very low. (Common problem on a lot of films). To hear the dialogue at a reasonable level, you had to have the volume quite high, which made the bass far too loud, to the point that the neighbours complained. Another issue was that the input level to the amplifier was always louder than any other input.

To overcome this, I got a nine band graphic equaliser, which I put in line between the TV and the amplifier. Lowering the bottom end bass and raising the top end treble for the dialogue. After a bit if tweaking, it is OK now with an acceptable balance. On mine, however, I have the volume on the TV set to Zero and control the volume via the amplifier. The inputs from both the streamer and the TV are both now at the same level, which helps with the volume.

DG….

82BA8232-DFC8-4274-8C5C-7A6EC7650A1C.jpeg

glenhb

Glenhb
Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
Doncaster
AKA
Glen Buddery
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
4 x USB on the rear for:-
WiFi dongle x1
Local media eg HDD or USB stick or BT dongle x2
USB type B for audio in when connected to a PC x1

1 x USB on the front to connect local media eg HDD or USB stick.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
TVs these days don't do analogue outs as they are usually plugged into soundbars, AV amps etc. So the best option if you don't want to use a proper dac is to get a little optical to RCA converter (which is a small DAC of course).

But you might be able to sort it by using the variable input sensitivy on your amp, IIRC you can set each input at a different gain to match your input components. Have you set this one as loud as possible? It's somewhere in the setup menu.

Reactions: Strider

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I reckon that tv is older than me!
It looks like it doesn't have optical out, one thing you can do is use the SCART plug as most are bidirectional. Get yourself a SCART to composite out that has an in/out switch. Plug a pair of phono cables from the SCART to your amp - av it!

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I reckon that tv is older than me!
It looks like it doesn't have optical out, one thing you can do is use the SCART plug as most are bidirectional. Get yourself a SCART to composite out that has an in/out switch. Plug a pair of phono cables from the SCART to your amp - av it!
So the switch nullifies the visual side?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.