TV HDMI eARC > Bluesound node > Amp = SQ?

Smonks

Wammer
Dec 12, 2022
Leeds, Yorkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looking at amps for a new 2 channel setup which I will also run my TV sound through.

Some of the amps on my list don't have an HDMI input - and it's my understanding that HDMI out is better SQ than say optical out from the tv.

As some of these amps don't have an internal streamer, but have an internal dac, I was thinking of getting something initially like a Bluesound node (upgrade later).

If I ran HDMI eArc out of my tv into the Node, and the node is connected to the amp via either...
a. Analogue RCA bypassing Node Dac
b. digital optical/coaxial output using the nodes Dac

would I lose the benefit of the increased SQ with HDMI out from the tv as opposed to just using an optical from the tv directly to the amp?
Would I be better of buying an amp with a hdmi input if I really want good sound from the tv? What's the best connection for optimal SQ?

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you output analogue (RCA) then you will be using the Nodes (shite) internal DAC. Using either SPDIF (RCA), Optical or USB (Node 130) will then bypass the Nodes DAC and utilise the one in your amp/an external standalone DAC.
As to what's best I've no idea but I doubt you'd be able to hear much difference between ARC & Optical. I never could when I actually owned a TV and fed my surround system with both and swapped between them.

Reactions: Smonks

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As to what's best I've no idea but I doubt you'd be able to hear much difference between ARC & Optical.
HDMI much better SQ than optical when I switch between the 2 - TV to all-in-one NAD M33. The ARC element of HDMI gives overall control of the hi-fi to theTV and I don't really want this. It's great if you use a sound bar that does nothing other than enhance the sound of the TV, but I don't want my TV controller to control my hi-fi and I don't want my music listening interupted if I switch on the TV while I'm enjoying music. For these reasons I have the HDMI cable connected to the back of the amp, but the TV end is only connected if I want best TV sound - for concerts for example. Otherwise I put up with mediocre optical if I want to improve the TV sound by sending it though my hi-fi’s optical input.

Last edited:

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just something to note if you use the HDMI then make sure you use settings that suit whatever DAC you are using . In most cases the HDMI will output surround sound as default . If it is HDMI to HDMI then it will not be an issue as the receiving (AMP , AVC Rec etc) will switch thing to suit . However if you decide to use the final part as two channel then set the HDMI output to PCM two channel and not surround as this will provide the best sound quality .

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A dedicated 2 channel amp will typically give you better performance than an AV orientated amp. You may find an amp with a decent built-in DAC but I haven’t found that personally having tried something similar.

The all-in-ones are typically a compromise in some way so it depends on your view of convenience vs maximum sound quality.

In terms of SQ being prioritised I would rank as

1) stereo amp and separate DAC that may or may not have HDMI
2) Stereo amp with built in DAC
3) AV amp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online