Amp advice please

BleedingEars

Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 4, 2014
Hello to everyone, Im new to here

As my old amp has packed in:( So I`m on the lookout for a new one (well used on my budget) but as I dont know much about them I thought best to seek advice

Current speakers are

Wharfdale xarus 5000 tower speakers

Nominal impedance 6 ohms

Recommended amp 25 - 250watts

Broken amp is

Marrantz pm47, I didnt rate it when it worked

I`ve been looking at a few technics amps as they always sounded ok from what I can remember but after reading a few reviews I`ve changed my mind. I will be getting another set of speakers with a clearer louder tweeters as the towers are not the best. My budget for the amp is about £150, Any advice on the best amp within my budget? I do like to have the stereo on the limit love a bit of drum and base sometimes for hours especially in the bbq season, last year blew up an old kenwood amp with same speakers, to be honest they havent been broken in properly as had them from new.

Cheers peeps:^

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you are going to be changing your speakers then sort this first and then buy an amp to suit.

This is a far better approach than trying to match speakers to an amp.

ajhunter

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 3, 2013
Cambridge
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think tel is probably right, but if you need something cheap and brilliant in the interim I'm about to move on a sony ta-fb920r, the same in all but year of issue to the 940r discussed at length in a thread here recently.pm if youre interested.

ajhunter

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 3, 2013
Cambridge
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry, I didn't really make myself clear. I'm going to sell my amp eventually, but if you'd like to borrow it for a while so you've got some music while you decide what to do, then you'd be welcome.

BleedingEars

Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 4, 2014

BleedingEars

Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 4, 2014
Probably the chemicals in the system the mind is thinking of a different speaker setup. keep the towers as well have a good quality center speaker as opposed to a pair of bookshelf speakers and have a sub cause how my living room is would suit it but the only thing that springs to mind is the center speaker being effective as the towers are loud and bass booms, would this setup be more suited for home cinema system as its not really what I have in mind . This center speaker is 150w mission mx-c2 89db paired with a 200w sub as a mate of mine has offered me it dont know brand of the sub

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm sure your Mate is only trying to help, but you need to consider that unless you have the right sort of amplification* *i.e. an AVR**(**A.V. receiver/amp). Then the centre & sub you have been offered are just some random bits. :roll: If you intend to pair these with a standard 2 channel/stereo power amp, integrating a centre speaker would be a none starter:nup:, although a sub may be possible if needed. :?

If you want to go multichannel & need AV capabilities then a budget AVR, or a fairly decent one S/Hand would be your best bet & you could run a centre + sub + satellite/bookshelf rear speakers for rear channel FX/multichannel music & stay with your existing wharfedale fronts until you can afford summat better.

You need to be clear on what you want though & whether you want a simple 2 channel audio system with the emphasis on higher quality stereo SQ, or if you want an AV system/Multi channel audio. Both can be done for a reasonable budget, particularly if happy to mix & match/buy secondhand. :^ No point getting saddled with random bits you don't need tho' :nup: .

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66