ZU AUDIO loudspeakers

dougie834

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 7, 2009
, ,
Has anyone owned or heard any of the loudspeakers from ZU audio ? reviews state thay are very live and direct sounding which is what im looking for,using audio physic virgo 2 at the moment which are very good but sometimes miss that live event feel I got from the old snell type c,also looking at used pair of wilson watt/puppy would these give a live musical sound or too 'hifi' ?

thanks

Chivas

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2011
Knebworth, Herts
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have only heard them at shows and enjoyed them immensely, like you said, there is a live feel to the music and they work great with rock music especially. I thought there is some magic in their full range drivers and they are very sensibly priced too and would definitely be on my audition list had I been in the market for a pair of speakers.

Chivas

silencio

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2010
Sofia, Bulgaria
AKA
Chris
I had extensive audition of two of Zu Audio's models. I really, really wanted to like them:( Unfortunately something did not click for me. Mainly the highs - left me with a bit of a metal taste:( It could have been the partnering equipment or the room (I listened at a small dealer's room). In any case these are worth trying - you never know, might be just what you are looking for!

myrman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Never heard a pair that I liked. They just don't do it for me. Wilsons on the other hand I like.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
You need to listen to some. Zus and Wilsons are very different; it's unlikely you'll like both. They are also both sensitive to partnering equipment - experience at shows suggests that both can sound good, but also very bad if you get it wrong.

Sumdumgi

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
RichardG has a pair of Omen Def, drop him a PM and I'm sure he will be happy to give you some feedback.

Nothing_VS

Wammer
New Wammer
Jul 26, 2013
Tutbury
AKA
Vlad
I heard once a pair Zu Audio Essence (the ones with ribbon tweeters) on Bristol show.

They were driven by Atma Sphere low-power OTL valve amp (no output transformer).

The sound was absolutely spectacular. Those are the only speakers that make some of my test tracks really sing.

Good dynamics and very natural. For me the best speakers so far.

Sensitivity over 97dB and 12 Ohm impedance means they are an easy load for any amplifier.

I spent nearly 2 hours in that show room. There were not a lot of visitors in the room -it was on the side corridor and only spotted by accident.

smegger68

With your sister, somewhere you wouldn't like.
Wammer
Jan 18, 2006
Bridgend
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have heard Richard's Zu's anf can confirm the very live and real sound. Well jealous :-D

Sent from my phone with fat fingers on tiny buttons so probably full of mistakes :-D

Pete the Feet

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Rochdale, , United K
AKA
Mr Feet
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Where are you located Dougie?

There is a dealer on the outskirts of Manchester in Saddleworth.

I've heard them a few times at his demo room and at the Manchester airport show last year. They are initially impressive in a demo but I think I would soon find them too much in your face for extended listening. I'm a pipe and slippers Harbeth chap so its horses for courses.

Eddieedwards

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2013
DE6
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've heard a pair of soul, but was not impressed. They were painfully bright, but they were on the end of naim and densen!

RichardG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 4, 2005
West of Cardiff, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Could suit you if you like a big dynamic sound with plenty of presence.

One of the very few I've heard that can make a Ludwig drum sound like a Ludwig drum...

On the end of Pathos they sound great, slightly taming any top end excesses, but not so much that you'll think you're being anaesthetised...Miles's trumpet and Coleman's sax will still make you jump out of your skin, if that's what you want.

Not perfect (what is?) but a very exciting listen that excels with rock - as you might expect from a company founded by someone who started out making valve guitar amps.

The Omen Defs are big, and quite imposing. Like a previous poster, it was the Essences that piqued my interest.

You MUST hear them before committing though, they can divide opinions, but if you value a big ballsy delivery over flat frequency tonal accuracy (yawn!) they might be right up your street.

Good at moving air, even at lowish volume (I listen at about 65-70dB usually), they don't need big watts to get them going. Have a listen, they're A LOT of fun!

And about a quarter of the price of Wilsons too :cool:

Lee Henley

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 10, 2010
Dudley, UK
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
If you liked the Snell sound why not consider Audio Note E speakers, these always sound live when I've heard them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huntergatherer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2009
Old Welwyn,
AKA
Trefor
Heard a similar OTL Atmasphere ,Zu set up at Heathrow and was suitably impressed definitely a live style performer.

I ended up with Klipsch's which for me do live as their best attribute but with that extra bit of oomph .

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Heard a similar OTL Atmasphere ,Zu set up at Heathrow and was suitably impressed definitely a live style performer.I ended up with Klipsch's which for me do live as their best attribute but with that extra bit of oomph .
Yep, I was there too. The only time I have heard Zu speakers sound half decent rather than complete rubbish.

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wilson's major on control and detail. They will sound very, very different to Zu.

If you are after excitement and being there I would start listening to Klipsch La Scala's and see if they float your boat. Coloured, yes, exciting definitely. Not a major fan of AN E's, they are OK but overpriced and can't do bass or loud. Much better are Mowgan Audio Mabon, who M7RSO has, very nice speaker these, sophisticated and exciting.

dougie834

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 7, 2009
, ,
Where are you located Dougie?There is a dealer on the outskirts of Manchester in Saddleworth.

I've heard them a few times at his demo room and at the Manchester airport show last year. They are initially impressive in a demo but I think I would soon find them too much in your face for extended listening. I'm a pipe and slippers Harbeth chap so its horses for courses.
Im in teeside prob be a good idea for me to have a dem of them cheers

dougie834

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 7, 2009
, ,
thanks for the feedback lads got me thinking more about the Zu range,there is a pair of wilson watt/puppy 2 going for £3k or best offer ? which caught my eye but not sure how they will compaire to the virgos ?,even though my setup is way better than my old setup in terms of soundstage imaging detail etc I do miss the raw musicality and live feel it had hence my intrest in Zu audio

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online