Amp with DAC?

Jubal

Wammer
May 25, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think I’d like to get an amp with DAC built in. I’m at the lower end of the budget spectrum, looking at pre-enjoyed gear and I’ve been considering an Audiolab 6000a. Does anyone have an opinion on how I might find it sounding vs the current Arcam FMJ A19 I’m using? And which I like a lot partnered with some Kralk TDB4’s.

I know it’ll be a personal thing, but any views gratefully received. The main driver for built in DAC is to limit the number of boxes cluttering up a shared space.

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I appreciate your minimalist attitude, but there are several small DACs, and I do mean very small in some cases. You will get much better amp choices if you stick to a separate DAC, plus you will be able to upgrade each one separately.

For cheap and small DACs look on eBay for Chinese DACs - plenty there such as Topping E30.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am a huge fan of Marantz and bought a PM7000N for £1200 because it was an all in one. The digital section wasn’t good at all and Marantz make great sounding CDPs; I sold it after 2 months. Unless you seriously need everything in one box I would look at separates. I sold a Benchmark DAC1 recently for £295 and that’s a great sounding DAC.

Reactions: Nopiano

t1no

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2014
North West
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What’s the rest of your system? Is it all digital or do you have need for line in / phono input for a turntable? Do you use a streaming service / separate streamer? If space is at a premium, I could recommend a small form factor A-H01 amplifier that has internal DAC and line in support … and I might have one for sale soon 😉

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do NOT buy a SMSL DAC. I bought one a while back to tie be over until my tube DAC was being repaired and it was nasty. I ended up just not listening to any music for a few weeks.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think I’d like to get an amp with DAC built in. I’m at the lower end of the budget spectrum, looking at pre-enjoyed gear and I’ve been considering an Audiolab 6000a. Does anyone have an opinion on how I might find it sounding vs the current Arcam FMJ A19 I’m using? And which I like a lot partnered with some Kralk TDB4’s.

I know it’ll be a personal thing, but any views gratefully received. The main driver for built in DAC is to limit the number of boxes cluttering up a shared space.
What is your current system?

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do NOT buy a SMSL DAC. I bought one a while back to tie be over until my tube DAC was being repaired and it was nasty. I ended up just not listening to any music for a few weeks.
As with any manufacturer I steer clear of tarnishing all their products/models because one didn't quite fill my expectations.

Jubal

Wammer
May 25, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My only source now is a Sonos Connect, fed by Amazon Music. I’m wanting to move away from Sonos. It’s UHD and sounds great to my ears but it’s all a bit walled garden. Plus, I’d like to use the native app for some features I want and I think I now know how to.

I can also see I have at least one of all the opinions. No bad thing, I’m just struggling to see how I can accommodate a separate DAC, streamer and Connect until such time as I’ve made a decision. The additional kit has to sit on the amp unless I have a total rethink. I just idly wondered if the Audiolab or similar was an upgrade which also solved the kit problem?

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My only source now is a Sonos Connect, fed by Amazon Music. I’m wanting to move away from Sonos. It’s UHD and sounds great to my ears but it’s all a bit walled garden. Plus, I’d like to use the native app for some features I want and I think I now know how to.

I can also see I have at least one of all the opinions. No bad thing, I’m just struggling to see how I can accommodate a separate DAC, streamer and Connect until such time as I’ve made a decision. The additional kit has to sit on the amp unless I have a total rethink. I just idly wondered if the Audiolab or similar was an upgrade which also solved the kit problem?
Many streamers have Dacs anyway. I would probably stick with the Arcam rather than risk changing it. Unless you can have a home trial. I would look at streamers.

• Upvote
Reactions: DomT

Jubal

Wammer
May 25, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, sorry for the slow reveal…. I specifically want to buy a WiiM Mini because they appear to play nicely with Amazon and the native app. It’s a streamer only (at an acceptable quality) so I need a DAC with optical. Clearly I could make other choices, including the music services I use, but I’m keen to explore this avenue first.

Reactions: Psilonaught

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Most (?) modern integrated amps include a DAC. Now that DACs have come of age with little year-by-year improvement in technology (and amps more so), getting a digital integrated makes a lot of sense, particularly as you save an unnecessary interconnect and your amp and DAC share a case and power supply, so savings all round. OK, look a little further ahead and ask yourself "Who not get a digital amp with built-in streamer?" Now you save yet another interconnect, case and power supply, so even better value. Several to choose from from a few hundred up.

Reactions: lazycat

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, sorry for the slow reveal…. I specifically want to buy a WiiM Mini because they appear to play nicely with Amazon and the native app. It’s a streamer only (at an acceptable quality) so I need a DAC with optical. Clearly I could make other choices, including the music services I use, but I’m keen to explore this avenue first.
Apparently it has a Dac "The WiiM Mini has a high-quality Burr-Brown PCM5121 onboard"

Jubal

Wammer
May 25, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Apparently it has a Dac "The WiiM Mini has a high-quality Burr-Brown PCM5121 onboard"
It does, but I’m not sure it’s ideal. Reviews and forums describe the analogue output as “serviceable”. It’d get me started v cheaply though!

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It does, but I’m not sure it’s ideal. Reviews and forums describe the analogue output as “serviceable”. It’d get me started v cheaply though!
I would try out first. My limited experience of Audiolab was not good and this review seems to confirm my view "All this suggests a spry and crisp way of making music, and the diametric opposite of the 'rich and rose-tinted' school of design", which is different from Arcam, although the recent Arcams are not as rich as they used to be. Much depends how it works with your speakers.
In that range I would have bought the Creek 50A but that does not have a Dac.

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You may want to look at the Denon range. Yes. I'm biased, but I'm very happy with the internal DAC in my amp - PMA1600ne.

I'm sure that the smaller amps are pretty good. A new one is the PMA 900hne.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm selling a Yamaha R-N303D for £175, it's got a dac, WiFi, Bluetooth and also MusicCast if you want to stream directly with the amp (but I'm not sure it includes Amazon I'd have to look). It's 100wpc so decent power too.

bobovox

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 21, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cambridge Audio are selling DACMagic 100s on eBay for £100 - sold as “refurbished” but if it’s anything like my CXN v2 bought through the same channel it will be in absolutely perfect condition with manufacturers warranty . Three still available at time of writing.

Jubal

Wammer
May 25, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would try out first. My limited experience of Audiolab was not good and this review seems to confirm my view "All this suggests a spry and crisp way of making music, and the diametric opposite of the 'rich and rose-tinted' school of design", which is different from Arcam, although the recent Arcams are not as rich as they used to be. Much depends how it works with your speakers.
In that range I would have bought the Creek 50A but that does not have a Dac.
Got a link to that review? Thanks.

Jubal

Wammer
May 25, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cambridge Audio are selling DACMagic 100s on eBay for £100 - sold as “refurbished” but if it’s anything like my CXN v2 bought through the same channel it will be in absolutely perfect condition with manufacturers warranty . Three still available at time of writing.
Yes, I’ve seen them. An option if if go stand-alone. Cambridge amps like the CXA61 are also on my radar. Just don’t know if it’s a sideways move. They appear to hold their value though so no issue moving them on if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.