Linn Owners

Apple Spatial Audio - A game changer?

Billz

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just read an article in the UK Sunday Times about the new Apple Spatial Audio. Apparently it is the biggest thing in audio since Stereo replaced Mono (according to the article). Has anyone heard this yet through a Linn system? Here is the link to the article, but you have to subscribe to the Times to see the whole thing: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/apple-spatial-audio-is-the-biggest-thing-since-stereo-ds9llq0bt

I could photograph the article but not sure if that would be breaching copyright. 

Edit: I have just found the What HiFi article and it’s for headphones only. Hardly a game changer then. https://www.whathifi.com/advice/what-is-apple-spatial-audio

Last edited by a moderator:

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve only tried the test music that’s built into my iPhone but it seems effective. It kind of moves the sound away from the listener’s head and places it around, above, behind. I don’t subscribe to Apple Music so I doubt I’ll get to try it any other way than the demo.

Mick

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Billz

Rich9600

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Apple Spatial Audio uses Dolby Atmos by my understanding. So, doesn’t that rule out Linn? My understanding is no Linn product uses Atmos at present. Apparently a licensing issue. Are Linn too small to offset the cost? As I understand it to bogo Dolby 7.1 surround board for Akurate plus DSM’s is about £1000

It is interesting through my Apple TV - AV-Reciever (Atmos)… Linn system for L+R and my centre is passive Bi-amped by Linn Majik Amps. Though, my AV-R is a modest Yamaha RX-V781 that cost about £500…

It is to me a good implementation of surround music. However, I preferred my better quality Linn Katalyst DAC’s and room optimisation when using stereo output and HDMI pass-through. But, even then DSM native Qobuz stereo streams sounded better than Apple Lossless streams over HDMI to me… Even testing CD quality tracks for fairness.

Reactions: Billz

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.