Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2008
London uk
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is there any interest in classical avant garde music?

I am thinking in terms of Stockhausen, Henry Kaiser, Harry Partch and others.
I have some great music by these composers and others - much of it little known and out of print these days, pretty well unavailable in the mainstream stores.

I just got some solo electric guitar improvisations by Henry Kaiser - he is amazing!

Reactions: EddieRUKidding

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I know that this is not at all what you're referring to, xD , but I quite like the mid-18th century version of avant-garde music, Mannheim School music.   xD   Klassik reckons that Mannheim rockets, Mannheim rollers, Mannheim crescendos,  and such seem less remarkable now that Mozart and others integrated them into their music.   ;)

Care for some Cannabich?  :D

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On 24/11/2020 at 12:24, Klassik said:

I know that this is not at all what you're referring to, xD , but I quite like the mid-18th century version of avant-garde music, Mannheim School music.   xD   Klassik reckons that Mannheim rockets, Mannheim rollers, Mannheim crescendos,  and such seem less remarkable now that Mozart and others integrated them into their music.   ;)

Care for some Cannabich?  :D

This is infinitely preferable to what is usually known as "avant-garde". It has the 3 elements of music that I usually listen for: rhythm, melody, and harmony. Unlike the other stuff which I usually call "plinky-plonk"

• Upvote
Reactions: Klassik

timmytiger

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2013
Essex costa
AKA
Tim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is infinitely preferable to what is usually known as "avant-garde". It has the 3 elements of music that I usually listen for: rhythm, melody, and harmony. Unlike the other stuff which I usually call "plinky-plonk"
Just what my second wife said about Messiaen, one person's avant -garde isn't another's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: EddieRUKidding

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just what my second wife said about Messiaen, one person's avant -garde isn't another's.
I get that. I suppose L.v.Beethoven could have been considered avant-garde in his day because he broke a lot of the existing conventions at the time. Similar to what Michael J Fox said in Back To The Future after he went all punk and kicked the amplifier over at the Rock'n'Roll gig: "I guess you're not ready for that yet, but your kids will love it".

timmytiger

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2013
Essex costa
AKA
Tim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Henry Kaiser - More Requia album with solo guitar.  Playing now on dear old Spotify.

Well, it's OK, not sure I can get too excited about it  - I'd not class it as classical, or even klass it as Klassikal.

Nah.
He just sounds like some guy noodling around on his guitar to me, a bit directionless.

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I get that. I suppose L.v.Beethoven could have been considered avant-garde in his day because he broke a lot of the existing conventions at the time. Similar to what Michael J Fox said in Back To The Future after he went all punk and kicked the amplifier over at the Rock'n'Roll gig: "I guess you're not ready for that yet, but your kids will love it".
Sometimes some of Beethoven's works are given more credit for being revolutionary than they deserve.  Perhaps an example of this is the famed concert where Beethoven's Eroica Symphony debuted.  At the same concert, Anton Eberl's E-flat, Op. 33 Symphony debuted as well.  Eberl was a composer of fame at the time.  The Eberl symphony was certainly more conservative and, thus, more positively reviewed by the critics at the time.    Having said that, listening to the Eberl does show some of the elements that Beethoven used in the Eroica like a mini-march type quality in the slow movement. 

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is a contender for my favourite movement for quartet from Erwin Schulhoff's Five Pieces for string quartet. He was usually a much more avant-garde composer than this piece suggests. He had a notorious, but meticulously notated 'silent' piece long before John Cage. He wrote five rather short symphonies which get progressively more violent as he railed against the Nazi's rise to power. He eventually died of tuberculosis in a concentration camp in 1942.

This Tango Milonga is the only 'slow' movement, with beautiful, languorous melodies and a great role for the cello and viola, especially when the middle, with it's gypsy-like flavour, reaches its crescendo. The final dissonant chord is pure Schulhoff. I posted the live version because not only do they do a good job, but they are enjoying themselves. (The best recorded version is by the Artis Quartet alongside works by Zemlinsky and Kreisler).

Reactions: Klassik and Tulse

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had tears in my eyes all through that. I haven't laughed so much for at least 17 minutes.

It was basically about sex wasn't it?

• Upvote
Reactions: Klassik and Tulse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online