Your favorite orchestra names

blazski

New Wammer
Nov 18, 2020
Do you prefer "Symphony Orchestra" or "Philharmonic Orchestra"?

What about various alternative names out there?

I like the simplicity and elegance of plain names like Minnesota Orchestra. I also like the rather romantic name of the old radio band "Symphony of the Air." Orchestra of the 18th Century is a cool, descriptive name.

Tag: suonerie chitarra gratissuonerie classico

Last edited by a moderator:

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nothing immediately comes to mind.  Do string quartets count?  If so, what about the Quatuor Sine Nomine?  xD

The name Houston Symphony is a bit lacking, IMO.  Fortunately, probably the biggest chamber orchestra in town, Mercury Chamber Orchestra, has a better name in my opinion. 

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Philharmonia has a nice simple. warm glow about it. 

The Academy of St. Martin in the Fields is descriptively quaint. 

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Harmonious Society of Tickle-Fiddle Gentlemen is certainly an interesting name...especially since one of their CDs contains the music of Gottfried Finger!  xD

iu

Taking its name from the poet Ned Ward's description of the musicians who played at one of the world's first series of public concerts in London, The Harmonious Society of Tickle-Fiddle Gentlemen was founded in London in 2006 to explore the neglected repertoire of public concert life in England in the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries.
https://outhere-music.com/en/artists/the-harmonious-society-of-tickle-fiddle-gentlemen/about

• Haha
Reactions: Tulse and Le Baron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online