Back to Black Vinyl - deteriorating fast !

Clubsport911

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2013
Cheltenham
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A year or so ago, I purchased a Mike Oldfield Ommadawn 180g vinyl and despite only 3 (as you might imagine) very careful playings, I'm now noticing a massive increase in surface clicks and pops to the stage where it's almost unplayable on the quiet sections.

Of course, I'm not ham fisted, owning hundreds of lps and even decant all my records into poly bags to avoid any chance of paper getting into the grooves.

Ive tried a wet clean and no effect.

On the surface, I can see blemishes and they appear to look like those you might see when a clear lacquer crazes and exposes the original paint finish below.

Sound quality seems to be "ok" but no more. Being paranoid, I have checked old records and they all play fine - even the original copy I have. I've heard rumours that B2B pressings are very hit and miss but would welcome some comments

thks

blackholesun

Sure, Not
Wammer
Nov 17, 2008
Poland
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good to know I'm not alone here. I have a number of new pressings (not B2B) and I have noticed that some of them do deteriorate quite fast. Unlike the older ones.

I remember reading on Steve Hoffman's about Back to Black releases... the consensus being they were not very good.

Clubsport911

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2013
Cheltenham
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for easing my paranoia.... How long before yours started to go downhill ? I confess, it's as if the vinyl is somehow soft !

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've heard from several sources that Back to Black are not good. I've bought 2 - Layla and Moondance and neither impressed.

blackholesun

Sure, Not
Wammer
Nov 17, 2008
Poland
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for easing my paranoia.... How long before yours started to go downhill ? I confess, it's as if the vinyl is somehow soft !
Couple of plays only. I always thought there was something wrong with my vinyl rig... or storage. Compared to some new releases, lots of 80s records play faultlessly.

Baggawire

Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I bought their latest batch of reggae releases and found them very good but I too have heard Back to Black's quality's a bit patchy.

harmonica98

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2012
London
AKA
Tom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The original Back to Black series often featured questionable mastering, sources and noisy pressings. But a deteriorating record? That's a new one on me.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is the inner sleeve plastic? It might be 'Out gassing'
Lighting-your-farts-Photos-taken-at-just-the-right-angle..jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member