Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After getting my phonostage back from tweaking, I listened back to back the original version of Vienna and then this new half speed 180g master (40th anniversary edition) and god! It took me back but so well mastered. Definitely one Vinyl album to go out and get 

D5EB7DB9-AEF3-476E-98CD-6AF52061F155.jpeg

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Blimey, that's a walk down memory lane, haven't heard that since erm 1983ish. Glad the mastering is decent, I am so often disappointed with modern reissues.

I can't help but say that your 125 is a very nice example! I know its for sale and anyone interested please: this isn't a shill, just admiration for a well presented deck.

Enjoy your evening :stereo:

macvisual

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 6, 2008
Scotland
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can you expand more please on your phonostage please? What make is it and what kinda tweaks did you have carried out....?....is it both MC/MM I wonder? Great choice of album, although I thought John Foxx was the best original singer/front man.

Cheers - Peter

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very kind @Jazid. Your right, I hate re mastered albums normally but the bass lines and acoustic passages are simply breathtaking on this one

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the heads-up. Got the original but bought a Japanese pressing some time ago, which is much better.

Playing it now.

Reactions: Rockchild

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can you expand more please on your phonostage please? What make is it and what kinda tweaks did you have carried out....?....is it both MC/MM I wonder? Great choice of album, although I thought John Foxx was the best original singer/front man.

Cheers - Peter
Hi Peter,

it’s the Bigbottle 3 valve based stage. Yes, it’s both MM/MC and I’m currently running it on MM. 
I’ve just had the MultiFETS changed and a few resistor values changed by @Bigman80. It wasn’t quite on song but now it’s singing lovely 

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve had to play ‘Vienna’ again three times. Incredible. Best I’ve heard on any media 

macvisual

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 6, 2008
Scotland
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do you have the vinyl album - "Couldn't Stand The Weather" by Stevie Ray Vaughan ?, an amazing track on that album called "Tin Pan Alley".

A well used audiophile track - amazing really to listen to. If you don't already have this album try buy a copy, you'll not be disappointed. 

Which MM cartridge are you using by the way?

Peter

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do you have the vinyl album - "Couldn't Stand The Weather" by Stevie Ray Vaughan ?, an amazing track on that album called "Tin Pan Alley".

A well used audiophile track - amazing really to listen to. If you don't already have this album try buy a copy, you'll not be disappointed. 

Which MM cartridge are you using by the way?

Peter
I do have that album and yes your right! 

The cartridge is an Audio Technica VM750SH 

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've also just grabbed Oli's own BB3 that he had in the classifieds. Not got it yet as I've asked him to add a couple of rca sockets on the back so I can use loading plugs instead of opening it up to change the resistors.

Will put it up against my Tron Seven Ultimate once I get it. From hearing Barringtons BB Mk1 I'm pretty sure it will more than hold its own against the TSU especially with the high tolerance components Oli fitted to his personal BB3,  anyway it should be an interesting shootout. 

Iceman 16

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 31, 2010
Swansea
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After getting my phonostage back from tweaking, I listened back to back the original version of Vienna and then this new half speed 180g master (40th anniversary edition) and god! It took me back but so well mastered. Definitely one Vinyl album to go out and get 

blob25.jpg
Now that your BB3 is working as it should, I won’t be surprised if you don’t stop listening and enjoying your music :rockin:

thewestfield

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 1, 2013
Malvern
AKA
Mal
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tin Pan Alley is a fantastic track - the feeling SRV manages to get from his guitar never ceases to amaze me. 

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've also just grabbed Oli's own BB3 that he had in the classifieds. Not got it yet as I've asked him to add a couple of rca sockets on the back so I can use loading plugs instead of opening it up to change the resistors.

Will put it up against my Tron Seven Ultimate once I get it. From hearing Barringtons BB Mk1 I'm pretty sure it will more than hold its own against the TSU especially with the high tolerance components Oli fitted to his personal BB3,  anyway it should be an interesting shootout. 
Like this? 

F7D4A4F0-8FA6-4858-8B3F-849F84BF5E17.jpeg

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yep. Have also had the earth post changed for a speaker binding post so I can use either banana plugged leads (my preferred method) or spades. 

For your double earth lead arrangement, if you fit a hollow 'Z' plug to one of the leads and spind the nut off, the Z plug will fit over the threads and you can then crocodile clip to that. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Vienna - memories of a cold winter & beautiful song worn by repetition.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@radiant red If you have gone back to 1980 how come you are writing in an Internet forum?

Anyway a seriously good album and one of my top 15. 
It was one of those moments lol. Closing your eyes whilst listening took me back. I will admit the dial was on 66 out of 90 on the amp 👍🏻

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online