Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2013
Napier
AKA
Andrei
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Did you try the DG The Originals remaster?To me it sounds much better than the original CD edition.

R
Probably not, but not sure TBH. 95% of my CDs are now ripped and 'in the attic' so it is a bit of a mission check them out.

Far Far prefer Pierre Fournier & George Szell with the BPO, also on DG. Great recording from 1960s and a wonderful performance without Karajan overblowing everything. Its even available on new vinyl. it was also BBC R3 building a library top choice. On CD its available at budget price.
UDGR_138755__60809__11212012011110-8508.jpg
I will have to check it out!

peteAllen

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 2, 2009
London, UK
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Far Far prefer Pierre Fournier & George Szell with the BPO, also on DG. Great recording from 1960s and a wonderful performance without Karajan overblowing everything. Its even available on new vinyl. it was also BBC R3 building a library top choice. On CD its available at budget price.
I believe this is on Pierre Fournier - Aristocrat of the Cello - well worth getting (even if I personally prefer the Starker recording - see here)

51t4IRfGzrL._SY355_.jpg

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I listened to that recording the other day. The Elgar is great - and I don't even like Elgar's Cello concerto that much!

Walton's Cello Concerto is a particular favourite of mine, but I found this performance a bit underpowered, and the cello is too far forward of the orchestra. Paul Watkins with Edward Gardner & BBC SO on Chandos much better IMO.

MUJI

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2011
Surrey
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is my favourite cello concerto of all time and Dvorak's concerto is really a epitome of the cello instrument itself.

Cello, like the Double-bass is inherently not a show-off instrument quite unlike a violin. To me, it is more like a heart beat. It's always there and it's important but was hardly noticed. I consider it the most important instrument in a quartet.

Elgar and Prokofiev might have managed to make it a little more showy with the concertos but I thought the heart and soul of a cello still belong to being that smooth communicator rather than the star of the room.

It is therefore very apt that Dvorak's concerto, widely considered the greatest cello concerto of all time do not have a cadenza but had allowed the cello to do what it does best, using deep and rich tones to touch your soul.

I do not know much about Fournier's playing but reading about it, understand that he was formidable.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

MUJI

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2011
Surrey
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Quite surprised to find little mention of Isserlis on this thread although there is so much other great stuff maybe I shouldn't be surprised. I love his phrasing and that cello tone is inimicable - it sounds like a high mileage instrument!https://www.amazon.co.uk/Haydn-Concertos-Symphony-Concertante-Classical/dp/B003P93HLC/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1463316191&sr=1-1&keywords=isserlis+haydn
Agree that he is under-appreciated very much everywhere! Maybe it was to do with his humble and unflashy demeanour. Plus he is not Russian or American.

neilmack

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2010
Argyll
AKA
Neil, unsurprisingly
The Beethoven sonatas for cello and piano, together with the very entertaining sets of variations he wrote for the same combo.

The Rostropovitch set is a must-hear

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Complete-Music-Cello-Piano/dp/B0000041A9/

Fournier and Kempff authoritative older style Beethoven

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Music-Cello-L-Van/dp/B000001GY1/

and a brilliant, relatively modern account by Wispelwey and Lazic

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Complete-Cello-Sonatas-Variations/dp/B0007Z47YI/

DGP

Wammer
New Wammer
Jun 5, 2016
The Beethoven sonatas for cello and piano, together with the very entertaining sets of variations he wrote for the same combo.The Rostropovitch set is a must-hear

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Complete-Music-Cello-Piano/dp/B0000041A9/

Fournier and Kempff authoritative older style Beethoven

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Music-Cello-L-Van/dp/B000001GY1/

and a brilliant, relatively modern account by Wispelwey and Lazic

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Complete-Cello-Sonatas-Variations/dp/B0007Z47YI/
I'd second the choice of works and add a superb recording and period instrument performance by Anner Bylsma with Jos van Immerseel piano on Sony Vivarte.

DGP

folder.jpg

folder.jpg

/monthly_2016_06/folder.jpg.eed5fe803bdd111b33aa5052b7e57989.jpg

ff1d1l

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 20, 2010
Snowdonia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The first Crooked Still album has astonishing cello...Rushad Eggleston.

Also Ballake Sissoko and Vincent Segal's Musique de Nuit - kora and cello much of which is recorded on a rooftop in Bamoko. Fantastic recording with great soundstage including distant traffic and sheep - totally mesmerising music.

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not pure cello, but have a listen to the Piano Guys .....Some good electric and acoustic cello playing.

More traditional. ..yo yo ma' s version of Copelands Appellation Spring is very good

ff1d1l

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 20, 2010
Snowdonia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ha Keith - you already done me the piano guys at your bakeoff. Excellent. Thanks!

Re Mr Ma, appalachian controllee shurely?

• Upvote
Reactions: batteredhaggis

ozzric

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 23, 2014
Norwich, Norfolk
AKA
Cliff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Musica Nuda Magoni & Spinetti

ebgDep2.jpg

I heard this for the first time at the NAS, and love it. Its a bit more contemporary than those listed previously, but the cello intro to 'I will survive' is something to behold !

peteAllen

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 2, 2009
London, UK
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Recently acquired this recording, mainly because I'm a Sudbin fan. Wonderful performances and fantastic audio quality:

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I love Rach's Cello Sonata.

Sudbin played in Oxford last month but I was unable to attend the concert...

R

Springbeg

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 4, 2014
Isle of Lewis
AKA
Keith Anderson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Recently acquired this recording, mainly because I'm a Sudbin fan. Wonderful performances and fantastic audio quality:
I love Rach's Cello Sonata.Sudbin played in Oxford last month but I was unable to attend the concert...

R
Share the enthusiasm for this wonderful disc and the playing of Sudbin generally. His recent Scarlatti is a fabulous recording.

on the subject of the Rachmaninov, there is a beautiful recording of the Andante movement with Horowitz and Rostropovich, part of the 'Concert of the Century' given at Carnegie Hall in 1978. Horowitz was never an enthusiastic accompanist so it's a rare treat.

DGP

Wammer
New Wammer
Jun 5, 2016
Can I put in a mention of Gerald Finzi's Cello Concerto - for preference in the Lyrita recording with Yo Yo Ma.

DGP

• Upvote
Reactions: Klassik

Vincent52

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2011
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

This thread is proving to be very expensive! This is now on order.

I recently visited Pomp and Circumstance in Harrogate searching for some of the albums in this thread and came out with this wonderful CD recommended by the owner....

51%2BPESZ9qBL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.