Close to wall speakers...

FuzzyEdges

Wammer
New Wammer
Feb 8, 2015
Monmouthshire
Can any one recommend a starting place for a change of speaker?

I'm moving house and the HiFi needs to go into a smaller room. As a result the speakers will need to be much closer to a wall. I don't think that the Spendor S5e speakers that I'm currently using will work at all well in this configuartion. They are currently quite a way out into the room and well away from any corners. So I'm looking to change them.

The amplifiers are Naim 102/Hi-Cap/Nap250 with Naim cable. The new room is 21'x10' and the hifi will be down one end with speakers firing across the shorter length. I'd like some recomendations for speakers that will work well close to a wall, they can be floorstanding, standmounts or even wall mounts. Buget is £1000 and I'd like to know the name of a dealer in Monmouthshire I could buy from. Not too much of an ask then?

Thanks in anticipation.

FuzzyEdges (Gary).

IMG_20160730_104231.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn Keilidhs were good near a wall. ATC SCM40 another one. They both do need 8" - 1' behind them though.

Last edited by a moderator:

PuritéAudio

Legend Wammer
New Wammer
Jul 10, 2016
London
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would wait until you are in the new room, you can fix any problem with passive or active acoustic treatment or if there really is too much bass reinforcement then a touch of EQ will fix any issue.

Keith

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nola Boxers, rear ported but that doesn't prevent them being close to a wall.

I'm not using them at present but when in use I had them about 100-150mm from the wall.

They are for a loft system that I haven't got the round tuit for :D

Also Snell and Audio Note are ok near walls, some designed for corners. 

jy3

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 17, 2015
Rickmansworth
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm using NVA Cube'3s aprrox 5"-6" from the wall and toed in nearly 45 degrees. Don't under estimate these speakers, they have really taken me by surprise at the detail and soundstage offered having used much more expensive speakers in the past. There is of course a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like, but you won't be sending them back.

FuzzyEdges

Wammer
New Wammer
Feb 8, 2015
Monmouthshire
I'm using NVA Cube'3s aprrox 5"-6" from the wall and toed in nearly 45 degrees. Don't under estimate these speakers, they have really taken me by surprise at the detail and soundstage offered having used much more expensive speakers in the past. There is of course a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like, but you won't be sending them back.
The NVA's have piqued my interest. The only slight concern I have is system matching as I use Naim applification, but I liked the IBL reference as these were my main speakers for many years. I may give them a try.

jy3

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 17, 2015
Rickmansworth
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The NVA's have piqued my interest. The only slight concern I have is system matching as I use Naim applification, but I liked the IBL reference as these were my main speakers for many years. I may give them a try.
As some one quoted on HFS "Naim users are NVA customers in waiting" :D

Why not contact NVA and ask any questions you want or just go onto the HFS site.

Eddieedwards

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2013
DE6
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd wait and see if your current speakers work, rather than assuming they won't. That is unless you have "created" an excuse to buy something else! 

Something  closed stands a better chance of working well. ATC spring to mind.

hifidez

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 25, 2012
Shropshire, UK
AKA
Derek
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you like what your current speakers do you could try some Spendor S3/5R2's.
I'd endorse that.  I had the S3/5Rs for quite a while and I'd still enjoy them now if I hadn't had a little cash windfall enabling me to upgrade.  I share your doubts about the 5Es not being happy near a wall, but you never know.  Experiement, maybe, with plugging the reflex ports?  That could work well, even if only as a stop-gap.  "Plugging the ports", "stop-gap", see what I did there?  ;-)

• Upvote
Reactions: brystonian

ERICLIMPIT

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2013
Oxon / Bucks border
AKA
Roger
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dynaudio audience 42W,  excellent wall mounts that work well with Naim, you should be able to find a mint pair for under £200 & spend the rest on new curtains :minikev:

enrae8

T otally W asted A t T imes
Wammer Plus
Sep 8, 2012
Blackpool
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Kudos speakers are bottom ported and i have read that they are voiced with Naim amplifiers - i have a pair of C2s and they are very close to the wall and sound lovelly 

IMHO

Plenty of used pairs about within your budget

manicatel

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2009
Herts/Essex border
AKA
matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Larsen speakers are,  I believe specifically designed to be placed close to a rear wall/ corners.

Interesting design, although I haven't heard them yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.