Denon 103(R)

G

Having recently fitted a Denon DL-103R to my Technics wheel of steel and found it to be rather wonderful I thought I would start a thread on it so all the other users on the Wam can join in celebration of this great and wondrous cartridge:^

Last edited:

Dipstick

Less hirsute than before
Wammer
Sep 21, 2014
Sheffield
AKA
Des
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having recently fitted a Denon DL-103R to my Technics wheel of steel and found it to be rather wonderful I thought I would start a thread on it so all the other users on the Wam can join in celebration of this great and wondrous rusty nail :^
fxt

Actually I was impressed by the 103r your dad loaned me, something quite visceral about it.....

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's a dog and it has fleas

535865121_b2674d1299_b.jpg

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Quite seriously, this is one that defeats me.

I've tried the 103 twice and the 110.

I really hated them. To me, they have an unnatural top-end emphasis and some real humps in the upper mids that I can't live with.

I'm confused though, because plenty of people who I normally agree with about the 'sound' of things absolutely love them.

Are they possibly really sensitive to loading or arm mass?

G

Actually I was impressed by the 103r your dad loaned me, something quite visceral about it.....
It's the exact same one Des, yep your right, it's exciting:^.

Vinyl Art

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No amount of correct arm mass or electrical loading can make it sound decent. All you can do it roll it off so it's les offensive!
Rolled off to zero volume:)

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No amount of correct arm mass or electrical loading can make it sound decent. All you can do it roll it off so it's les offensive!
It has a spherical stylus, so the distortion at HF due to pinch effect will be very high. This, of course, may be what some people actually like about it, but I can't get on with any spherical stylus, even ellipticals are suspect.

S.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.