Does this happen to you?

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A friend of mine was a dentist and also a very good jazz pianist. He got increasingly tired of his dental practice and decided to terminate it. So he played jazz all day in his consulting room and treated his patients in a careless and cavalier fashion, like "Well, come in then, sit down and let's have a look at your gnashers....".  

He was actually a very funny guy, and the result was the opposite of what he'd imagined. His patients told all their friends about him, he got a flood of new clients and his practice doubled in size.

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This used to happen to me regularly many years ago. I managed to overcome this in a very expensive way by getting rid of the wife. Just listened to ELP live at the Isle of White festival, bliss!
I appreciate you sharing that Steve. Got my decree nisi back in 98, never celebrated so hard in my life. Went straight out and dropped 5 large on my system.  We've been happy this past 24 years. She's taken the odd trip back to her birth place in Germany to have her bits replaced. Always comes back with soothing melodic tones and a funky blue light, last time,

exclaiming her love in glorious HDCD. 😁

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
King Crimson’s Red is about the edge of tolerance for my wife. She has almost got to like Huang Chung’s first album and I find that the trick is to play a ‘disliked album’ to death so that it becomes normal to listen to. Luckily our musical tastes overlap a lot.

hexx

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2015
London
AKA
pav
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My other half is generally OK with what I listen to but prefers not to be present when I play some albums from Zappa. But Ionisation from Edgar Varese was a bit too much even though she was in different room 🙃. I guess I should postpone my plan to get the recently released 200 Motels. 

Fantasque

My world is full of spots
Wammer Plus
Jan 22, 2016
Mere, Wiltshire
AKA
Robin
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
My other half is generally OK with what I listen to but prefers not to be present when I play some albums from Zappa. But Ionisation from Edgar Varese was a bit too much even though she was in different room 🙃. I guess I should postpone my plan to get the recently released 200 Motels. 
My wife is the opposite, she loves Zappa, Captain Beefheart etc, absolutely hates anything “tasteful” like Steely Dan, Eagles etc. She got 200 motels as a stocking filler from her brother.

Last edited by a moderator:

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When we used to host lots of after session parties the music playlists were eclectic to say the least, when I felt it was time to wind things down I'd play Foetus (scraping off the wheel/on your breath) and or Alien Sex Fiend at levels that would wake the dead, then there was a mass exodus of inebriated celebs air* kissing and taking bows as they left us to clear up the disaster area.

* take your filthy mind to the toilet, I said AIR!

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You can't trust your co-workers either when it comes to music.  One BBC programmer for radio 3 fancied himself as a bit of a wit, and before going off on holiday devised a programme entirely made up of composers with three letter names, like Sor, Fux, Bax, Cui, Suk and a few more. 

On his return from holiday he smugly asked his deputy how his programme had been received, and got this response: 

"Ah yes, the library didn't have the recording of the guitar piece by Sor you wanted, so they sent over a piece by Castlenuovo-Tedesco instead. Hope that was OK?" 

Reactions: Strider and garn63

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
then they stick a bloody Jethro Tull dirge into the mix
I loved Jethro Tull up to Passion Play but it was I guess my era of music (growing up in the 60s and 70s  .. after that it is all a bit hit and miss on each album ... and what makes me laugh is when someone says they hate Jethro Tull and love the Eagles, especially the track Hotel California which has to be the biggest rip off of a song ever (the backing and the melody is nicked from We used to Know).   

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I remember going to a Bad Company concert. We got there early and Soft Machine were playing. 

How long have they been playing.....About an hour and half. How much music have they played.....still on the first track.

Let's find the bar......2 hours and a bit before they left.

Somehow Bad Company (post hit single fame) and Soft Machine were not a great mix.

• Haha
Reactions: Strider

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I loved Jethro Tull up to Passion Play but it was I guess my era of music (growing up in the 60s and 70s  .. after that it is all a bit hit and miss on each album ... and what makes me laugh is when someone says they hate Jethro Tull and love the Eagles, especially the track Hotel California which has to be the biggest rip off of a song ever (the backing and the melody is nicked from We used to Know).   
I like some Tull, I was a big fan in the mid 70s, none of my friends were into them though. Some albums I did not like, Passion Play was one and after Heavy Horses I lost interest. There were a few weak ones before that also such as War Child and Too Old to Rock and Roll. You should try Heavy Horses if you don’t know it, the Steve Wilson remaster is pretty good. Probably got more Tull on vinyl than anything else. They were good live, saw them at Hammersmith Odean in ‘77.

Reactions: uzzy

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry but this is bad beyond any words that I have access to, I can see on a biological level it is hard to do.

But thanks guys all of my collection is now beyond reproach even the weird bits are now the new normal.

Reactions: Strider

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
14 minutes ago, toms wait said:

Sorry but this is bad beyond any words that I have access to, I can see on a biological level it is hard to do.

But thanks guys all of my collection is now beyond reproach even the weird bits are now the new normal.

It's a bit self indulgent.....doesn't have the touch or timing of Eric Dolphy & Ornette Coleman ?     B|   H.N.Y.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.