Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
"I know Adele was strident about not shuffling songs but I’m not a huge fan of authorial or artistic intention – once the album’s mine I’ll listen to it however I please, thanks. I don’t want artists dictating how I read, see, or listen to their work."

Ill bet this fuckwit doesn't fess up to just reading the meatiest chunks of Dickens and Shakespeare and passing on the waffle. Because even she may have brains enough to see the artistic intent in the structure of a novel or play.

Yes, if one's taste in music is sufficiently unambitious there is nothing to be lost by song hopping. For a symphony or liturgical work, let alone some (perish the words) prog rock or jazz, it doesn't work. Not. Difficult. To. Understand.

Its a pity what's happened to journalism these last 20 years, but on the bright side: If you've half a mind to become a journo, that's enough 👍

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I came across that. That she differs in opinion is fine, I just get tired of people feeling the need to express that opinion (or making a living from doing so).

On the plus, I finally got round to deleting the 'swipe left' Google shite news function on my phone that led me to this. For some reason I can't fathom I wasted far too much time on this. No need to fathom now, it's gone !

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Usual sh**e trolled out by someone with an obvious agenda (her husband's LP collection, apparently). Vinyl is fragile and unreliable? Better tell that to the Library of Congress, which still maintains that vinyl is actually the most robust long-term method of data storage.

I get bored with the standard 'pops and hiss' rubbish, because it simply doesn't have to be the case. Use a seriously good stylus profile, but decent vinyl and be careful about keeping it clean, and the noise floor can be vanishingly low.

As above, mainly this is a perfect illustration of lazy, purile 'journalism'. One could have hoped for better from the Indy, but obviously no longer.

Nifkin

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2019
Highgate London
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That Independent article is clearly nothing but column filler: a fact-free, subjective, stream-of-conciousness opinion piece. This in the Guardian is a bit better:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/dec/29/vinyl-uk-sales-highest-market-share-since-1990?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

The geezer from Rat Records should be mindful about slagging off his customers though.

The biggest problem for new vinyl atm is the fact that the biggest sales on that format are the likes of E Sheeran, T Swift, Adele, etc, yet many of the people buying this wallpaper music don't even own TTs, they just want the sleeve to sit on their shelf. However, it ensures that the few record pressing plants that are still operating are tied up pressing this nonsense to fulfil demand, when the smaller artists that I want to support by buying their albums on Bandcamp have to wait 9 months for their releases to be pressed.

The big record companies have missed a trick (yet again): they should also make available empty LP sleeves for some of these mega artist offerings so that fans who have no intention of buying a record deck can put the cover of their favourite streamable album in a nice little frame. 

Reactions: HectorHughMunro

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Reactions: Blzebub

Nifkin

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2019
Highgate London
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not that much better: "...then the unmistakable crackle and the low, almost imperceptible analogue rumble as the needle slides into the groove." :doh:
Yes, but the Guardian article is talking about it in positive, not pejorative, terms. The crackle and rumble are the things that distinguish vinyl from digital, after all. At least the journalist had troubled themselves to do some research for this one.

Nifkin

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2019
Highgate London
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not in my system they aren't 😀
I don't think any journalist will have a £5k+ TT set-up owned by an audiophile who also happens to moderate an audiophile's forum in mind when talking about most people's experience of vinyl, even in 2021! 😉

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I attempted to read the article but gave up, mostly due to the popup adverts and other shite that filled 80% of the screen. Judging by the above comments I've not missed anything of value, just the ignorant musings of a self opinionated wazzock, who can't be bothered to do balanced research. 

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Upvote
Reactions: rabski

flak monkey

Weirdo Mosher Freak
Wammer Plus
Dec 24, 2010
Norfolk, UK
AKA
Sera
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Must be a slow news day....

Opinion pieces are just that. Opinion. With that said I'm sure there's a famous saying about opinions....

• Haha
Reactions: Jules_S

myles

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2008
Plymouth
AKA
Myles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My records are hidden in my spare room. I'm not doing this showing off thing right, am I?

• Haha
Reactions: rabski

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You can’t trust the Independent. They interviewed me once and to make my story fit their agenda they changed my personal details. 

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
About the album order. Many albums tell a story and so listening to an album in order is often important. Whilst the writer may like to listen to albums in any order she likes maybe she does the same with reading books choosing chapters at random? Or by mixing chapters from different books to create her own story?

Anyway a very unbalanced and biased piece but she is entitled to her opinion; there are plenty of people on here who share similar views to her. 

Reactions: Nifkin

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That Independent article is clearly nothing but column filler: a fact-free, subjective, stream-of-conciousness opinion piece. This in the Guardian is a bit better:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/dec/29/vinyl-uk-sales-highest-market-share-since-1990?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

The geezer from Rat Records should be mindful about slagging off his customers though.

The biggest problem for new vinyl atm is the fact that the biggest sales on that format are the likes of E Sheeran, T Swift, Adele, etc, yet many of the people buying this wallpaper music don't even own TTs, they just want the sleeve to sit on their shelf. However, it ensures that the few record pressing plants that are still operating are tied up pressing this nonsense to fulfil demand, when the smaller artists that I want to support by buying their albums on Bandcamp have to wait 9 months for their releases to be pressed.

The big record companies have missed a trick (yet again): they should also make available empty LP sleeves for some of these mega artist offerings so that fans who have no intention of buying a record deck can put the cover of their favourite streamable album in a nice little frame. 
The biggest problem is it's trendy and therefore the prices are high and getting higher, seen several double LP new releases around £40. In the 90s record companies pushed cd prices up, they were more than LPs not because of the cost but just raking in profits. Yes some buyers of vinyl don't even have a TT to play it on, how sad is that. High prices may kill off some demand. Prices and available of used LPs in the UK put me off buying a turntable, if I lived in the US it probably would be different.

Yes you are right about limited pressing plants and mainstream will get first call as that is where the profits are.

But 5m albums is not a lot, I read in 2008 there were over 120m cds sold in the UK, so 5m is only about 4% of that number.  

Music seems to be getting more mainstream, just look at headlining acts at festivals these days. I'm not keen on most mainstream stuff these days, my favourite artists tend to be fairly unknown. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nifkin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Staff online

Wammers Online