ELAC Adante AS-61 Standmounters. Andrew Jones Designed. Thoughts !

Pure_Carbon

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2009
Englishman in Wales.
AKA
Lord Lucan (Oops...)
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll declare my bias upfront.

I've always liked AJ's work, bought a pair of Kef 104/2 References , new in about 1988 and kept them for 20 years.

Got a pair of Pioneers S-1EX , and love TAD Reference speakers......

Been looking for some stand mounts for a possible downsizing project, bought some Raidho C1.1s , didn't work for me, so when I saw a pair of 61s on eBay, they rang a bell, so hit a few review sites.

It seems they were revered by the Trade and Press , but loathed by the public, they bombed commercially, and AJ and Elac parted company.

My thoughts were, I can't believe Elac and AJ would release a product which is that bad, and surely the audio reviews would also be pretty so so, they are generally never "bad"

So , did a deal with the dealer direct, and they arrived in 2 large boxes.

I wasn't able to get the matching ABST101 stands, it seems Elac probably melted them all down , a couple of stupidly priced pairs in Germany and USA.

On arrival, having no stands, popped them on a a pair of swivel hydraulic bar stools, and despite being different heights, and trying to spin off axis , thought, my these sound quite good.

Popped them back into the black velvet bags , and in the downstairs loo for a week (not obligatory) until the stands arrived.

Bought a pair of Atacama HMS 2X stands, as they were almost the same height , 600mm , as the Elac stands, filled each of the 8 legs with sharp sand that had dried in the airing cupboard all week, positioned them in a perfect equilateral triangle position, about 2.7m x 3 .

I bi amp, as my pre lets me dial in the HFs on the "slave" amp, 4 identical XLR outputs, but 2 have a gain control, so can use entirely disparate power amps , am using a 250W Class D amp on the Low Frequency posts, and a Plinius SA100 Mk3 , in either A or AB, about 150W into 6 ohms , on the High Frequency posts.

And lets go.....

OH my giddy Aunt, they are spectacular .

Fast, dynamic , open, spacious , the boxes disappear, holographic , tight deep (ish) tuneful bass , just bloody amazing.

I then tried just the Plinius , and it wasn't good, didn't have the puff to drive and control them properly.

I've had 2 sets of friends over to blind listen, didn't know what they were, one was blown away , and the other, when told the brand and price, just went very quiet....as I , and possibly he, thinks they bested his 8x the price speakers. 

I think the major issue with these AS61s are they need top quality , beefy electronics to make them work, and Elac knocked them out at $3000/£3000 , so people with "lesser" quality power tried to run them, and they would have been awful. 

If they were £8 to £10K , which I think they could be, then matched with similar amps, what a match !!

If you get the chance , and there's 2 pairs on eBay , and have grunty amp/amps that will move -85db , then give these a go.

You'll be rewarded with fabulous speakers, for a truly daft low price.

I'm pondering buying another pair !

Rayymondo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmmm look good .... but do they come in a different colour I wonder, wouldn't buy anything gloss black however good it was? 😆

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You prompted me to look them up.  It seems like the unusual bass loading might rob them, and the larger floorstanders, of some warmth to the sound.  Perhaps they weren’t very good sounding in a typical store, or a typical home?   Not much doubt about the technical merits, nor AJ’s expertise. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.