Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Harbs could be gone 🙂.
Bottom line between these two, I don't think you could like one and not the other. They are more similar than they are apart.

I'm sort of joking, the Harbs will probably go at some time but not for a while.

I'd offer an open house bake off, but as much as I love our home it's not very big. Put Nagraboy and me in the front room and it's busy !

Last edited:

Minicoupeman

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 21, 2015
Sittingbourne
AKA
Andy Andrews
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ex thread. One of the best demo’s I have heard was Falcon LS3/5. I have a very small room and an excellent system with ATC19’s but I can’t help thinking that LS3/5 or Q7 would be fun to try ( for a 2nd system?) would it work? Do these BBC monitors only shine with low watts? Valve amps? Or am I delude?

Reactions: Ian

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interested if you considered or were aware of the Wilmslow Audio LS3 as part of your decision on these @Ian ?

They are even cheaper still of you go flat-pack and use a very similar classic LS3/5A design. Wilmslow are based just down the road from you too (just south of Leicester) and have a demo room.

Their version is a bit more 'standard' in terms of spec, at 89dB and 8 Ohms, but they without doubt have that LS3/5A magic, notwithstanding my experience of the classic BBC design is limited.

I ask primarily as I have just myself ordered a pair after thinking they sounded fabulous in their demo room. They'll be replacing my Spendor S3/5R2's.

I'm only down the road near Melton Mowbray so we could even do a shootout at some point if you're interested.

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
H
Interested if you considered or were aware of the Wilmslow Audio LS3 as part of your decision on these @Ian ?

They are even cheaper still of you go flat-pack and use a very similar classic LS3/5A design. Wilmslow are based just down the road from you too (just south of Leicester) and have a demo room.

Their version is a bit more 'standard' in terms of spec, at 89dB and 8 Ohms, but they without doubt have that LS3/5A magic, notwithstanding my experience of the classic BBC design is limited.

I ask primarily as I have just myself ordered a pair after thinking they sounded fabulous in their demo room. They'll be replacing my Spendor S3/5R2's.

I'm only down the road near Melton Mowbray so we could even do a shootout at some point if you're interested.
Hi Karlsushi,

I must admit I didn't consider the Wilmslow Audio option, I think I just fixed on Falcon given I'd heard their LS3/5a a few times. I wouldn't have the confidence to go the route of flatpack cabinet assembly I think !

Enjoy them and yes, it would be great to meet and compare. Get 'em built and run in first :)

Nagraboy

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2014
Nottingham
AKA
Greg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In today‘s market the £1100 price tag does seem a bargain, even factoring in the pre-owned options.

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wouldn't have the confidence to go the route of flatpack cabinet assembly I think !
Me either! They are being built and finished by Wilmslow!

Lead time is 4 to 5 weeks, so a little bit of a wait yet.

Wilmslow have a great selection of wood finishes and are incredibly professionally done, but I have to admit those Q7's of yours really look the part in that Walnut finish and appear to be a step up in aesthetics at the very least.

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Me either! They are being built and finished by Wilmslow!

Lead time is 4 to 5 weeks, so a little bit of a wait yet.

Wilmslow have a great selection of wood finishes and are incredibly professionally done, but I have to admit those Q7's of yours really look the part in that Walnut finish and appear to be a step up in aesthetics at the very least.
Oh the anticipation, excellent choice re: ready made cabinets. A full report is expected and awaited :).

Conan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 15, 2011
Walsall
AKA
Carlos
Std versions are £1095 still and Gold badge crossover versions are £390 more
(Self build versions)
FA have stopped producing the silver version. This was confirmed to me yesterday by Jerry Bloomfield.
So now it is £1,485.00 with the gold badge

Reactions: Rockchild

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

syep2001

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2006
Plymouth
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting thread this Ian and given our speaker history is very closely matched.

I have a fear since owning my Falcons that I may end up in a similar territory to you, all be it I think my (your old!) ESRs will remain sat in my office system.

Health to enjoy, they’re genuinely superb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.