FIFA World Cup.

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, the games are getting more exciting now. I'm still turned off by the faking, fouling and shirt pulling in football, but there's much more skill and movement in the games now. More of a sport at last - the players are getting on with it since there's so much to lose for their teams.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, the games are getting more exciting now. I'm still turned off by the faking, fouling and shirt pulling in football, but there's much more skill and movement in the games now. More of a sport at last - the players are getting on with it since there's so much to lose for their teams.
Yes getting more interesting now. Surprised Spain lost after the first half. Germany out again.

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a hard time watching football. Unlike golf and snooker it's a completely dishonest game. Constant faking, cynical fouls, pulling shirts. It's not sport really, it's politics. Win an advantage and then waste time until the final whistle, and frustrate the other team as much as possible. Just a blatant spectacle of "win at all costs". Even the commentators are in collusion with the fouling and say out loud "he had to foul him or he could have scored". It's just completely dishonest these days. Referees don't dare to penalise each and every foul because there would probably only be 5 or 6 left on the pitch. I don't think there's any possible way back to an honest game. Just won't happen.
What you are talking about is the result of money & the demands of success to provide "value" to the governors.
This isn't just football its rooted in the very essence of our society. Not enough humanity imo. It doesn't seem to matter any more.
Maybe its a balance we should all address ?

Reactions: pmcuk

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What you are talking about is the result of money & the demands of success to provide "value" to the governors. This isn't just football its rooted in the very essence of our society. Not enough humanity imo. It doesn't seem to matter any more.
My concept of sport is that it's a recreation - an honest way of competing to be the "best" and win trophies. So as a recreational activity it should be honest and fun - proper fair competition. And most sports are indeed like that. Like professional wrestling, football isn't. Maybe it is at the amateur level but big money, cynical investors and endemic poor administration has spoiled it.

It's got to the stage where what needs to happen is that when a player writhes on the ground in fake pain the referees should just leave him there and play on. So the team would either play on with 10 men or the player would get up and start playing again, which would shame him rather nicely. If the player is genuinely injured the referee could stop the game after a couple of minutes. Or even not at all - just let injured players limp off the field while the game goes on. A radical solution which I'm sure spectators would thoroughly enjoy.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I hate when pundits support diving, he did well to win a free kick etc.

Rugby does not have all this faking of fouls etc.

Andy Stephenson

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 8, 2022
North East England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The much-maligned VAR system could be used to spot diving.

A red card for deliberate cheating, which is what diving is, would soon put a stop to it, as long as it was implemented and rigorously and consistently applied.

Shirt pulling and wrapping arm/s around an opponent should be applied the same way with maybe a yellow card for a first offense and a red for a second.

Sadly, I suspect these amendments to the game's rules will never be applied as there's too much corruption at the higher levels.

Andy

Reactions: pmcuk

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In fairness that part of VAR and goal line tech works and takes the guessing out of it which is what we wanted . Also once they get the tech rolled out the automatic offside decisions will become factual and so I think accepted.

Difficulty comes when there is a human element in the decision as then it will always be personal and one persons view of it being wrong will not be the same for everyone .
I would certainly like instances like in the Japan Spain game when Moratta went down with no touch from the defender and not only got a foul but got the player booked as being identified as a wrong decision and the offending player punished with a straigh red card when it can be seen to be obvious that they are trying to get an unfair advantage .

• Upvote
Reactions: Bazzer

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Messi penalty the other night was a ridiculous decision , goalie is stretching for the cross , Messi is behind him , of course his arm is coming down and Messi had already headed the ball in any case .

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Serbia out after a dirty game and a lot of aggro.

My wife is Serbian, but I was glad to see the back of that particular team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.