fo.q tape

audiobuff

Wammer
Apr 15, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have seen a fair bit written about this tape on US audiophile boards, but not much chatter on the UK side of the pond, so I thought I would give it a go and order some to see what the fuss was about.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224975871442

Anyway, it duly turns up a few weeks ago and I finally got round to applying it. The idea is that its special formula turns vibrations into heat, reducing those vibrations and cleans up the sound. You apply it not only to the chassis of equipment, but also to the tops of capacitors inside your system too, around power connectors, onto fuses, speaker driver frames, phono headshells, in fact anywhere where vibration could be detrimental.

(System list: Zenith Mk3, Phoenix USB, M scaler with Farad 3 PSU, Chord Dave, Avondale Grad1 pre amp, Avondale NCC300 monoblock power amps, Boston Acoustic A360 speakers, Atlas EOS 4DD power cables, Townshend Fractal interconnects)

I started off applying it to the underside of the chassis of PSUs, source, DAC, preamp and amps and had a listen. Then I tried opening up the equipment and applying it to capacitors, one piece of equipment at a time.

The results? The chassis test gave a welcome uplift in performance, added a nice bit of pixie dust onto the whole proceedings, everything seemed just more right, more image, better bass, better detail. Really nice

Then the capacitors test. OH. MY. GOD. What a difference. Its like a £3000+ upgrade in a DAC/amp for example. I would almost say its transformed my system. Better musicality, less hifi. Sound explodes out of the speakers rather than being contained by them. Its incredible. Better everything. More detail, tighter bass, and the whole projection of sound that no longer comes from speakers. I'm in shock really at how much a positive difference it makes. Some might ask does it muffle anything, answer no. It kills the noise, making detail clearer and cleaner.

To all those who think this is snake oil/nonsense/rip off/scam, and I know there will a large number of sneering, tedious bores - just try it, its £60, then comment. If you havent heard it, I'm really not interested in your speculation. JUST TRY IT!! No financial interest, just interest in great sounding hifi. You can find it easily from other people on eBay, not just the link above.

Finally heres the dealer in the US using it. He cuts it into circles but thats unnecessary, just a square that doesnt go over the edge of the cap is fine https://www.lotusgroupusa.com/blog/mishap-equals-opportunity

Just to be clear, there are two thicknesses TA102 (which is all I have used so far,) and TA32, thinner and more suitable for wrapping around the connectors of cables - which is the next experiment, watch this space....

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can imagine that this would indeed give a very effective improvement

I would also imagine that you can make the improvements even more noticeable by listening whilst cradling a frozen turkey and with your right foot in a bowl of tepid (NOT hot) water.

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Not sure putting covering the cap ends (in the link) is a good idea, or on any thermal components really

audiobuff

Wammer
Apr 15, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure putting covering the cap ends (in the link) is a good idea, or on any thermal components really
I did consider that, but the amount of extra heat from the converted vibration is going to be so minimal as to be almost immeasurable IMHO. I dont put it on transistors/IC chips of any kind for that reason though

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I meant from the point that cap ends are designed to disperse heat(Ali cap), if you stick something on it it retains heat, like covering vents on an amp

audiobuff

Wammer
Apr 15, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I meant from the point that cap ends are designed to disperse heat(Ali cap), if you stick something on it it retains heat, like covering vents on an amp
If anyone has one of those FLIR IR camera attachments, then have a look at some running caps. I suspect the whole cap is pretty much the same temp...

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm a believer that cap vibration can cause a noticeable increase in distortion but I'd be wary of covering them up on the heat dispersion point.

Does anyone know if "audiophile" caps have some form of vibration suppressant built in.

Just thinking about it, I think silicone O rings would achieve nearly the same benefit but safely, as with valves, and they come in many sizes and thicknesses. If someone wants to try it make sure the idea is attributed to me!!

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok call me sad but I'm really excited about this idea and they can be bought really cheaply in bulk packs.

Does anyone want to do a Wam group buy and get fitting them? We need to measure some standard cap sizes (I know there are lots) and get ordering.

audiobuff

Wammer
Apr 15, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok call me sad but I'm really excited about this idea and they can be bought really cheaply in bulk packs.

Does anyone want to do a Wam group buy and get fitting them? We need to measure some standard cap sizes (I know there are lots) and get ordering.
You just cut up little squares from the sheets (one is pre scored into thinner strips) and stick them on as needed, dont worry about counting cap size!

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It looks to me pretty much exactly the same stuff as the seld-adhesive sound deadening pads used in cars for audio installations. I've got a roll of it here and I've used it inside casework to stop it 'ringing'. It's effective, and relatively cheap.

I wouldn't go anywhere near the top of capacitors with anything though. Certainly not electrolytics, as the top is designed to split in the event of failure. Any vibration in passive components is going to have an effect, and all passive components are microphonic. The 'problem' is that the levels involved are so small as to be meaningless. Massively below the inherent noisefloor.

audiobuff

Wammer
Apr 15, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any vibration in passive components is going to have an effect, and all passive components are microphonic. The 'problem' is that the levels involved are so small as to be meaningless. Massively below the inherent noisefloor.
really, and you've tried it have you? No you haven't, you're just speculating on what you THINK will happen, and presenting it as fact....

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
really, and you've tried it have you? No you haven't, you're just speculating on what you THINK will happen, and presenting it as fact....
1. Of course I've tried it.
2. I've been involved in experimentation using extremely sensitive equipment to measure the effects of vibration on passive components.
3. I have various papers here, detailing the effects of vibration on passive components.
4. Don't presume to tell me what I have or haven't done.

audiobuff

Wammer
Apr 15, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
1. Of course I've tried it.
2. I've been involved in experimentation using extremely sensitive equipment to measure the effects of vibration on passive components.
3. I have various papers here, detailing the effects of vibration on passive components.
4. Don't presume to tell me what I have or haven't done.
Maybe that was unclear - Im talking about fo.q tape - have you tried that?

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why would I need to? If it reduces vibration, then the effect of the vibration in the first place is all that is necessary to determine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.