. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Are you able to measure the response? Any attempt at tuning by ear is a waste in my view.

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ric ….read the op’s previous posting - we planned to but covid got in the way

rab1991

Wammer
Jul 11, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So a massive thanks to @MF 1000 for taking the time to come to me today and take some measurements for me. If I can make it to the wam show, drinks are on me.

I don't have a copy of the before measurements but here's the afterwards. With the microphone placed at the listing position.

Still work to be done but for a purely passive system with no external DSP etc I'm quite happy with how it is at the moment.

So the system as it stands is benchmark dac1 into Armstrong 730 pre amplifer, into xtc pow2 power amplifier

There definitely bass issues with the room but that's something I can look at moving forward.

fostex after tweaking.jpg

Having the l pads made it super easy to make adjustments, listening as we went to make sure that although measuring better they did actually sound better.

With doing that and adding a preamp into the system as I was using the built in volume control In the dac1, I can honestly say they are sounding 100 percent better than before.

Hopefully @MF 1000 can add his thoughts on to how it sounds etc but I believe we both were happy with it overall.

Reactions: Quad74 and Tony_J

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
An interesting few hrs with these speakers, which are very impressive. Thet cover a wide frequency range with the 15” ported bass driver working well in a seal box at the base of the cabinet. The use of the Armstrong preamp allowed an easier connection if the laptop & REW but interestingly removed some of the top end sibilence and gave more depth to notes etc.

After a few sweeps with REW we managed to increase the response in the midrange by around 3dB without any harshness appearing…..and that’s how we’ve left them. A quick change back to using the benchmark DAC as the volume control once again introduced top end harshness and made the sound of a cello on a Hans Richter track sound flat and one dimensional, so back in went the pre.

Great speakers and once they’ve been visually restored they would be good in most rooms I feel.

Thanks for allowing me to assist and listen to some standard speakers that could start to compete with my monsters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.