tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Can anyone suggest a reasonable laptop for speaker software? I have no experience in this area. My wife has a thinkpad for work, would one of these be any good?

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can anyone suggest a reasonable laptop for speaker software? I have no experience in this area. My wife has a thinkpad for work, would one of these be any good?
Should be fine - I've used Basta! and Hornresp on various machines - they don't need anything special.

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use a thinkpad for work, it has loads of memory and a number of cpu cores. A fair bit of my work involves running Linux in Virtual Machines which I'm sure is hungry for a bit of compute power, and Windoze manages it reasonably well. Are you worried about how long it would take to do lots of floating-point calculations?

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
To be honest I’ve no idea where to start yet. I want to create my own speaker designs.

I have very limited knowledge of computers, but been looking at Tutorials on YouTube for various types of software to get me into it.. I imagine a lot more questions once I get it!!

Reactions: Tony_J

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I think Hornresp, Boxsim, WinISD etc will all work on pretty much anything these days. I use Unibox excel spreadsheet for speaker cabinet designs which being excel based again, will run on anything too.

A larger screen does help, say when doing measurements but I find a good balance of portablity and size helps if you are moving around, say from the garage/workshop to Living room etc when doing measurements, CAD, modelling etc.

Even if its an older machine, make sure it has a good battery as in the past I have found the PSU can interfere with mic measurements, especially odd noise, so being able to run off a battery (including for outside measurements) really helps.
A lot of new machines dont have USB type A interfaces, with a lot being the newer USB-C, so things like USB microphones, soundcards etc may need an adapter, and I've found issues with some hubs, plugging say a Mic and Analogue interface into the same hub.

Last edited:

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I want to create my own speaker designs.
Seems like you need memory, and compute power for floating point operations as you are likely to be running mathematical models. Several "cores " could be an advantage if the software is written to optimise doing things in parallel (if it isn't then you could end up spending money to no real advantage). I'd advise finding which software you want to run, then getting the machine best suited to running it. The software vendors may give you some guidance on this. Beware of computer salesmen who will sell you the highest spec machine for running computer games when that may not be what you need.

bobovox

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 21, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was using VituixCAD on a 2014 i5 ThinkPad with no problems- I’m sure something even more modest would have sufficed. As others have said, the requirements for speaker modelling software are not too onerous.

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Hoping to get one in the next few weeks, hopefully I understand in practice, what I’ve seen on the tutorials!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online