Front ported bookshelf speakers for Rega Brio

AHMusic

Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 8, 2014
UK
Hello, lovely people of the Wam! It's been a while since I've been here but I need your advice, I'm afraid!

Next year I'm moving into a room at uni I'll actually be able to take my Hifi to rather than leaving it at home like now, which is all well and good, but my Mission 763 floorstanders aren't going to be able to come with me sadly. They're not gonna fit! Therefore I'm going to need to invest in some bookshelf speakers to put either on small stands on my desk, or potentially on stands next to the desk if they'll fit.

Currently my setup is iPod Classic -> Pure i20 -> Cambridge Audio Dacmagic -> Rega Brio -> Mission 763s (as you can see in the image, a sight which has never previously graced these forums!) and that'll all come with me, save the speakers, obviously.

2305rB0.jpg

As such, I was just wondering if anyone could recommend me something I can get hold of <£200 which will suit my system, and could be mounted on small stands on a desk adequately? They're also realistically gonna need to be front ported, as they might be quite close to a wall!

So far, I've considered B&W DM601s, Monitor Audio BX2s, B&W CDM1s and a pair of Epos ES11s (beautiful, but sadly not front ported), to name but a few. I am quite worried about the bass weight coming from small boxes such as these compared to my floor standers, but I guess it's a compromise I'll have to make.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice anyone could give!

Stuffed Chimp

Wammer
Wammer
May 16, 2006
Reading
I was ridiculously impressed by the Monitor Audio B2 and B4 speakers I had in my setup a few years ago.

The B4's (floorstanding) were my primary speakers for a very long time, sounding better and better as the rest of the system got progressively upgraded.

The B2's (standmount) we're rears in my home cinema (fronted by the B4) and did very well, but I did use them as mains for a few months just to see what they could do. A LOT of speaker for your money, and beautiful sounds. I only kept them relegated to the rears as I missed the very substantial bass output of the B4's!

They can be had for peanuts now on the second hand market. There was a pair of B4's in the classifieds here recently and I was so tempted to get them for old times sake. Something like £80!

You literally cannot go wrong in my opinion. Good luck!

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I know they are not fronted ported but have you considered a pair of Q Acoustics 2010i, I use mine close to the wall and they don't seem to mind - in fact Q Acoustics sell wall brackets for this speaker which means Q Acoustics think they should be ok close to wall. Well within your budget as well.

pgarrish

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2011
Preston, Lancashire,
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
1. If you'll have room for stands, can't you squeeze the Missions in?

If not

2. I'd second those little Q acoustics - blutak them to the shelf or desk and they'll be ideal.

Tristan

Lurker Extraordinaire
Wammer
Mar 17, 2014
Leeds
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You could try and find a s/h pair of Usher S520's. Silly good for the money.

- - - Updated - - -

Rega Ara's are also good. Rear ported, but designed to be positioned close to a rear wall and Rega make some dedicated wall brackets.

AHMusic

Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 8, 2014
UK
Thanks for the quick replies! I'm having a look at all of these. The Q Acoustics seem to be a popular vote, but I have something against them which I just can't put my finger on... Sounds very irrational and I'm pretty sure it is!

Any opinions on the Dali Lektor 2?

If you'll have room for stands, can't you squeeze the Missions in?
I'm not sure about having room for stands sadly yet - I may have any room out of 7 in the new house, and only a few would be able to fit stands in! Also, the Missions, despite being floorstanders, are really quite low and so would not be suitable for listening sitting at my desk, sadly.

This would all be much easier if I had more money to spend, but sadly as a student I'm still on a shoestring budget!

pgarrish

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2011
Preston, Lancashire,
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
you might be able to get some little JPW sonatas for pennies. I had them at Uni and they are very good. Not the last word in bass but they are very clear and you wont get any farting ports.....

AHMusic

Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 8, 2014
UK
Sadly I'm looking for some 2.0s - I've been living with a Sub/Sat setup for this year at uni (some old JBLs) and I can't say just what a nice change it is when I get home and listen to my Missions again. Thanks for the idea though! I am quite interested in some of the Acoustic Energy bookshelvers.

As for JPW Sonatas, they really do go for pennies: and I'm certainly considering them. I don't know much about JPW, however.

Tenson

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2006
I know you already have an amp, but I think in this sort of situation the best options are active. Alesis Monitor One MKII Actives are great for about £260 new and are front ported. Lots around s/h too.

Tristan

Lurker Extraordinaire
Wammer
Mar 17, 2014
Leeds
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The PSU in the Alesis is prone to self destructing. Had a few through my workshop and they're not great to be fair.

Tenson

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2006
The PSU can break down, as can most cheap SMPS. It's just a case of the electrolytic capacitors wearing out. If you hear a high-pitched whine from the PSU it's time to have them re-capped. Can last for years though. IMO the sound is exception for the money. I don't like the Active 620 and 520 though, the newer looking ones.

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Rega R1 would be perfect, usually around £100. Rear ported but designed to work near rear walls. There is the older Kyte which can be had for around £60ish too.

I have had the Alyas recently which were very good little floor standers and work next to rear walls too,

deejaitch

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 29, 2014
Heathfield E Sussex
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Musical Technology Kestrels. Small footprint floorstanders. Side ported. They don't seem to come up that often but they Should easily be within your budget. Great sound for the money.

dicy

Veteran Wammer
Wammer
Apr 24, 2006
Lewes
AKA
Rich
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
you might be able to get some little JPW sonatas for pennies. I had them at Uni and they are very good. Not the last word in bass but they are very clear and you wont get any farting ports.....
Lovely, lovely speakers, I use a pair in my home office, right against a wall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.