High End DVD Players as a Transport.. should we ignore them?

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry this puzzled me what discs can you not stream ? There has so far not been any disc I have not been able to rip and add v to my library so would like to hear what your problem discs are.
@MartinC is correct, some CDs are not available on streaming services. I don’t want to copy them as I still hang on to physical media. Being from the vinyl age you see 😊

Reactions: Klassik

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@MartinC is correct, some CDs are not available on streaming services. I don’t want to copy them as I still hang on to physical media. Being from the vinyl age you see 😊
I copy my CD's to add them to my LMS library so that I can play them that way . I still own and keep all the original CD's . I have tried a couple of streaming services (Tidal and Qobuz) and just could not find what I wanted . For me streaming is playing music over the internet and that music is the catalogue I own. For many years i did not buy any downloads but over the last couple of years this form of buying has increased as in some cases it is the only way to get the music and also sometimes it is the cheapest way to get it as well . Like you I would much prefere to have the CD but not at some of the silly prices that can appear.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I copy my CD's to add them to my LMS library so that I can play them that way . I still own and keep all the original CD's . I have tried a couple of streaming services (Tidal and Qobuz) and just could not find what I wanted . For me streaming is playing music over the internet and that music is the catalogue I own. For many years i did not buy any downloads but over the last couple of years this form of buying has increased as in some cases it is the only way to get the music and also sometimes it is the cheapest way to get it as well . Like you I would much prefere to have the CD but not at some of the silly prices that can appear.
More intranet (local network) than internet there I think? Maybe local file streaming vs internet streaming might be appropriately distinct terms? 

Maybe I'm wrong but I would use the term internet music streaming to refer specifically to the likes of Qobuz.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darrell1972

New Wammer
Sep 29, 2022
Nardò
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve just gambled a full €30 on a highly recommended Xoro DVD player to use as a cd transport in my second system I’m trying to set up as cheaply as possible. Its going to be connected to my bargain Pro-ject DS 2 digital pre amp but I’ll plug it into my Primare first and compare it to my DD15 I’ve just spent €1000 on in my main system.

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
NAIM use pretty cheap computer DVD drives in all their rippers. Provided you don't use the analog output of a cheap DVD player, you should be ok using it as a transport alone.

Darrell1972

New Wammer
Sep 29, 2022
Nardò
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
NAIM use pretty cheap computer DVD drives in all their rippers. Provided you don't use the analog output of a cheap DVD player, you should be ok using it as a transport alone.
Why not use the analogue output, I think that’s all it has?

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, the D/A converter(s) and analog circuitry are really cheap and can sound awful. But the digital signals are as clean as you need.

Reactions: Darrell1972

Pedro2

Pedro2
Wammer
Sep 9, 2018
High Peak
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Playing CDs into a Dac ya say?

Happy owner of an Audiolab 6000CDT transport, hooked up to my Dac over Spdif.
Astonishing bit of kit,
Bettered my heavily modded Oppo 203 for CD playback, my "Final Disk PLayer" (NOPE!)
It sounds unnatural and Hifi compared to the Audiolab, and thats with about a grands worth of upgrades.

Precision tool to do one job, very well.
Highly Highly recommended.

Its made CDs exciting again,
to the point where I sourced some Taiyo Yuden CDRs and burning my favourite albums onto CD, just so I can hear them through the Audiolab.

Run mine with PS Audio gear,
And I never feel as if its masking anything, this thing hits WAY above its price point.
Bought one of these quite recently and can confirm your findings - a cracking piece of kit and not expensive. Detail retrieval combined with fine overall presentation. Superb!

Reactions: Gazjam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.