Kimber Kable 8TC Speaker Cable

ANADROL-50

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 3, 2021
Is the Kimber Kable 8TC speaker cable really this good or is this review just nonsense ?

alby

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 4, 2007
Hill, South Gloucestershire , UK
AKA
Antony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have got the old Black/Blue and think its really good - I also have Silver streak RCA , I think its the sweet spot in the range - higher than this and the benefits do not really justify the extra cost - but that's just my opinion - but I have tried them in my system and could not hear enough benefit - it also did not pass the "wife test - if she cant hear an improvement I cannot keep it!

As a note under the wife test she gets to hear both variants without knowing the cost and I keep her preference . 

Reactions: ANADROL-50

Swann36

Swann36 a Widower finding solace in music
Wammer
Jun 3, 2020
Lincoln UK
AKA
Lloyd
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi great topic , I keep looking at this cable and wondering.. so I’m really interested in the thoughts of others like you [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
14 hours ago, ANADROL-50 said:

Is the Kimber Kable 8TC speaker cable really this good or is this review just nonsense ?

Check out the Gothic cable also it has similar windings 

ANADROL-50

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 3, 2021
I've got a pair of the 8TCs and yes good cables but it's never that straight forward. Mostly depends on what the cable is connected to at both ends.
Is this because the output of amplifiers and the input of loudspeakers varies hence there is no one single perfect cable design ?

Reactions: Nativebon

Fourlegs

WAVE Digital Cables
Wammer
May 5, 2014
Melton Mowbray
www.wavehighfidelity.com
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It's a capacitor.
As I guess are all cables to a greater or lesser extent. The same guy who did the video has published his measurements - see link below. Whilst he admits the capacitance is somewhat higher (as a side effect of the low inductance) he concludes it should not be a problem for any competent amplifier and with normal speaker cable lengths. 

I have some 8TC (although not in a system at the moment) and it seems to sound fine. 

https://www.audioholics.com/gadget-reviews/kimber-kable-8tc-speaker-cable/measurements

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As I guess are all cables to a greater or lesser extent. The same guy who did the video has published his measurements - see link below. Whilst he admits the capacitance is somewhat higher (as a side effect of the low inductance) he concludes it should not be a problem for any competent amplifier and with normal speaker cable lengths. 

I have some 8TC (although not in a system at the moment) and it seems to sound fine. 

https://www.audioholics.com/gadget-reviews/kimber-kable-8tc-speaker-cable/measurements
The capacitance is spec'ed at 346 pF/m, definitely too high for my amplifier.

That's 10x more than a regular cable, 20x more than a low capacitance cable.

Reactions: kernow

Fourlegs

WAVE Digital Cables
Wammer
May 5, 2014
Melton Mowbray
www.wavehighfidelity.com
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The capacitance is spec'ed at 346 pF/m, definitely too high for my amplifier.

That's 10x more than a regular cable, 20x more than a low capacitance cable.
The chap in his measurements section says, “The Kimber 8TC and 8PR cables exhibit about four times higher capacitance than standard 10-12AWG zip cord, and twice as high as its 4PR sibling. Again I don’t see this as a show stopper especially since most people purchasing these types of cables are doing so for short runs (under 50 ft) and are likely using high quality amplification that doesn’t have stability issues driving moderately high capacitive cables.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The chap in his measurements section says, “The Kimber 8TC and 8PR cables exhibit about four times higher capacitance than standard 10-12AWG zip cord, and twice as high as its 4PR sibling. Again I don’t see this as a show stopper especially since most people purchasing these types of cables are doing so for short runs (under 50 ft) and are likely using high quality amplification that doesn’t have stability issues driving moderately high capacitive cables.
"About four times"???

Kimber 8TC –> 346 pF/m

QED 79 - 58pF/m (very thick zip cord) –> 1/6

QED 42 - 49pF/m (thick zip cord) –> 1/7

QED Performance Original - 35 pF/m –> 1/10

DNM - 17 pF/m –> 1/20

Linn K20 - 16 pF/m –> 1/21

Last edited by a moderator:

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's been a few years since I tried 8TC. Must admit I found it a bit safe and tbh boring. 

Dynamically it was noticeably slow to respond to low level transients and seemed a bit uninteresting and laidback rhythmically. Top end seemed a little rolled off, closed in.  Not particularly transparent. 

To my ears the 4TC was better; faster, more agile if not having the bass weight of the 8TC. 

Quite similar to Van Damme, but more expensive! 

I'd classify both as Easy Listening, though. Not to my taste. 

Last edited by a moderator:

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's been a few years since I tried 8TC. Must admit I found it a bit safe and tbh boring. 

Dynamically it was noticeably slow to respond to low level transients and seemed a bit uninteresting and laidback rhythmically. Top end seemed a little rolled off, closed in.  Not particularly transparent. 

To my ears the 4TC was better; faster, more agile if not having the bass weight of the 8TC.
The 4TC has just over half the capacitance of the 8TC, which is why there's less roll-off of the treble.

Interestingly I have also found the braided topology a bit "dull" sounding and not just "darker", it would be interesting to see research addressing the transient response of braided speaker cables. I don't use "transparency" with the same meaning as you, but I agree that Kimber speaker wires sound somewhat "veiled".

I find it very educational to try braided vs. spaced-conductor speaker cables, same with braided vs. coax vs. spaced-conductor interconnects.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles