I added a 774 arm thingy Q.

The Abbot

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 21, 2008
Middle England.
AKA
eh? THE ABBOT.
Hi chaps. As soon as bought my mission 774 15 yrs ago I added a light steel fingerlift, to the top between cart & arm block, because the designers forgot to put one on it seems! Looks 'complete' now & tbh I've no idea how this arm could be used without one.

What  just occured to me, is if this addition will mean my bias setting, based upon my cartridge weight i think, is now 'off' as a result. Or whether my fingerlift addition makes no difference at all. Im too thick to understand all this bias business you see.

Thanks, Abbot.

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Maybe the finger lift is the secret source if its sounded ok for 15years personally I wouldn't mess with it. Of course if you did it may sound better but then again it may sound worse. 

🤔

The Abbot

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 21, 2008
Middle England.
AKA
eh? THE ABBOT.
Maybe the finger lift is the secret source if its sounded ok for 15years personally I wouldn't mess with it. Of course if you did it may sound better but then again it may sound worse. 

🤔
Hi JMcC. Im convinced it sounds exactly the same with it as without it, but its whether I need to adjust the bias because of adding it. My head can't cope with such maths connundrums. Because Im thick.

Thanks. Abbot

Reactions: JamieMcC

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The force that bias setting compensates for is produced by a number of things combined. The total weight of the arm and cartridge is just one factor, and the contribution of a small finger lift to the total mass is likely to be incredibly small. Leave alone, basically. It's highly unlikely to make enough difference to need the bias setting to be changed. The actual tracking weight would need to be checked though.

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As long as you rest the tracking weight when you added it, it will make no difference to the bias.

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, sorry - should have read ‘reset’

Spooling miststake!

The Abbot

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 21, 2008
Middle England.
AKA
eh? THE ABBOT.
Yes, sorry - should have read ‘reset’

Spooling miststake!
Great.. thanks.  If I could ask one more Q to you good folks here..

If I get a bit more left speaker than right, as it seems to me, & I don't have a balance pot ( removed becuase of nerditry).. would i need to add more weight to my arm bias "wand" , or less weight?

Thanks, Abbot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.