MiniDSP

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That will be interesting Andrew - I await reports!

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tony I was alerted to the change by Ed on the MiniDSP forum and was in truth relieved that I was not seeing things or doing some thing wrong . I honestly have no issues with DIRAC changing this as you always have the choice to alter all the differnet elements as you wish . But as you say it will be very interesting to see exactly what their filter sounds like .

Reactions: Tony_J

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting change. Think I've got this latest version on Dirac installed but haven't tried a new calibration on it. I'm a bit surprised if they have made a change to a perfectly flat response as I think the previous target tended to be a bit too bass light for most.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Okay apologies things got a little busy yesterday so had no chance to follow up on this . Just completed a full new session and have attached a screen shot of what the DIRAC Live generated . Again a big difference over previous sessions is the long time the programme spent with the initialising phase this was over three minutes were in the past it was less than one . You can see the shape of the new standard curve is different .

I am going to take a little while to listen to both over and extended period before I draw any conclusions .

Attachments

• Dirac Live Screenshot 2022-09-22 111634.png
    Dirac Live Screenshot 2022-09-22 111634.png
    99.5 KB · Views: 6

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Okay had a little time to listen to all three of the Filter settings and used Celestial Echo by Malia as the test track . Played it right through on each filter setting . First issue was that there was a marked difference in volume between the standard and the other two with the standard filter being quieter . As we all know in any listening test louder is almost judged as best . So this is not by any means a critical test or even comment about the differences but just a general view .

Standard Filter first well my biased expectations were given the straight line of the graph as above was shattered within a few bars . I have real doubts that the curve as shown is as what DIRAC is really applying . Firstly the really good news is that this standard curve sounds excellent has decent bass great imaging and and is very natural nothing stands out and shouts at you the music just flows along . I like it and can see that anyone who not an obsessive like me would be very contented to fit anf roget and just enjoy the music . I think this is a very good thing , some like me want the adjustable and complex workings to satisfy their craving to fiddle and in their minds make things better , well none of that is taken away you can still adjust things to huge amount . Yet there are lots of other users who are frankly scared of the way that things can be changed so much and just want to play and hear improvements. This new curve certainly does that and will give huge enjoyment as a stand alone.

Adjusted Curve from yesterday well firstly as noted this seems much louder than the standard setting and has fuller Bass but also better imaging with the vocalist more forward and in to the room away from the plane of the speakers . However the comaprison has shown up that I may well have been a little too over zealous on the Bass lift and there is more to come from a little more time spent changing things a little at a time and then listening again .

Second adjusted curve from the standard taken today . This was as I suppose was to be expected some where betwen the two above. Fuller Bass but not as powerful (over blown ?) as the Adjusted curve . This is the real sign post that the standard is a great starting point for anyone and that a little patience and time making very fine adjustments can be very beneficial .

Okay thats enough from me over to you all to give this a whirl .

Reactions: MartinC and Tony_J

Kubs

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 6, 2018
Sutton, Surrey
AKA
Kub Johal
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I notice Tidal Connect is now available for the shd studio .... Just downloaded it and it seems to work a treat .... Better UI than volumino .....

Apologies if this has already been discovered or mentioned in in earlier posts .... Haven't been on the forum for a while .... Cheers,

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Remarkably, it seems to be doing the right things ... channels assigned, crossover frequencies set, and the speakers are producing useful sounds. Now "just" a small matter of measuring the FR, adjusting the EQ, and running a few Dirac sweeps...

Reactions: bencat

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have to say I'm well impressed with the new console software for the Flex-8 - works well and looks great. Hopefully it will soon be upgraded to support the DDRC-24 as well

Reactions: MartinC and bencat

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been playing some more with the Flex-8 - tweaking the crossover frequencies and trying different target curves. As Andrew has mentioned, Dirac's suggested target curve actually does a pretty decent job, so the no-brainer is just go with that. However, reverting to my favourite Harmann curves I think gives a better overall performance, so I will be going with that for the show setup. Definitely getting listenable results out of the system today, so well chuffed.

Reactions: newlash09

JensA

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 12, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
AKA
Jens-Michael Arndt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
miniDSP have just launched (shipping September) a 2 input 8 output channel version of the Flex that at first glance I thought was finally an up to date single box option for three and four way active crossovers. The catch though is that it doesn't have a pair of analogue inputs :(. It may still be of interest though:

I am a complete layman when it comes to dsp :unsure:, which probably doesn‘t come as a surprise looking at my (Linn) hifi equipment😄 but this might change:

I am considering to buy a pair of vintage Linn Isobarik PMS speakers.
The PMS are 3-way speakers and have no internal crossover but direct access to the drivers.
Despite being 40 years old Linn has created exakt filters for the Isobariks which make them work with the latest Linn Exakt technology, e.g. a Linn Exaktbox I which is basically an active crossover with 8 channel amp but very costly (it‘s Linn…).

I am wondering if a minidsp might work as 3-way crossover in a Linn system with a pre amp and 3 stereo power amps.

The 2x8 minidsp flex seems to be a perfect match but my intage Linn pre amp ghas no digital outs.
Is there any other minidsp which I could use?

Jens

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am a complete layman when it comes to dsp :unsure:, which probably doesn‘t come as a surprise looking at my (Linn) hifi equipment😄 but this might change:

I am considering to buy a pair of vintage Linn Isobarik PMS speakers.
The PMS are 3-way speakers and have no internal crossover but direct access to the drivers.
Despite being 40 years old Linn has created exakt filters for the Isobariks which make them work with the latest Linn Exakt technology, e.g. a Linn Exaktbox I which is basically an active crossover with 8 channel amp but very costly (it‘s Linn…).

I am wondering if a minidsp might work as 3-way crossover in a Linn system with a pre amp and 3 stereo power amps.

The 2x8 minidsp flex seems to be a perfect match but my intage Linn pre amp ghas no digital outs.
Is there any other minidsp which I could use?

Jens
The Flex 8 is pretty much ideal other than the inputs - presumably you have one or more analogue sources? If so, you could introduce an ADC stage between the pre and the Flex. If your front end is all digital I would ditch the pre and connect directly to the Flex.

Reactions: JensA and MartinC

JensA

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 12, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
AKA
Jens-Michael Arndt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Flex 8 is pretty much ideal other than the inputs - presumably you have one or more analogue sources? If so, you could introduce an ADC stage between the pre and the Flex. If your front end is all digital I would ditch the pre and connect directly to the Flex.
Thanks Tony,
as menioned it's a vintage system, i.e. analogue "only" with all components pre 2000
- LP12 turntable
- Linn Kremlin Tuner
- Linn Kairn Pro Preamp
- Linn Klout Power amp(s)
and possibly Linn Isobarik PMS Speakers

Do you have any recommendations for an ADC?

Obviously I would like to avoid adding a "modern box" to the vintage system.
Perhaps a Hifiberry ADC with a Raspberry Pi might do it?

Jens

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Tony,
as menioned it's a vintage system, i.e. analogue "only" with all components pre 2000
- LP12 turntable
- Linn Kremlin Tuner
- Linn Kairn Pro Preamp
- Linn Klout Power amp(s)
and possibly Linn Isobarik PMS Speakers

Do you have any recommendations for an ADC?

Obviously I would like to avoid adding a "modern box" to the vintage system.
Perhaps a Hifiberry ADC with a Raspberry Pi might do it?

Jens
I've not had to deal with that problem as yet, so no recommendations I'm afraid! I have used the hifiberry DAC on a R-Pi and that works well.

Reactions: JensA

JensA

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 12, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
AKA
Jens-Michael Arndt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've not had to deal with that problem as yet, so no recommendations I'm afraid! I have used the hifiberry DAC on a R-Pi and that works well.
same here:): I am using a hifi-berry DAC with Roopiee to make the vintage Linn system "Roon ready" but sofar did not see any need for a Hifiberry ADC...
I cannot see any other minidsp in their present product line which could be used as 3-way active crossover but is there any older minidsp which could be used instead?

Reactions: Tony_J

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@JensA there is an older now end of life unit that will do what you suggest and i currently use it on my three way active system . It is the MiniDSP 10 x 10 HD unit which offers both digital and analogue inputs . They are not of course made any more so you would need to look out for a used one . The other thing is that they are pure Digital Crossover products so they do not offer the DIRAC Live update so if you want that as well you would need to add another unit to do that .

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony_J and JensA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.