Oppo 205 going price and service?

A.S.

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 1, 2014
Hertfordshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looking to buy an Oppo this year and wondered what the going price was please?

Aside from good reviews by a seller, is there anything to watch out for when buying off eBay?

Are these machines still repairable/serviceable please?

Amber Audio

This is the Day….
Wammer Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Aberdeenshire
AKA
Angus
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oppo said they will continue to offer support, don’t know for how long as it was pre COVID but not heard different plus guys like Audiocom soup them up, so I’d expect them to be able to do some repair work
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/farewell-from-oppo
If you know a dealer or two ask them to look out for one, they do get traded back in, that’s how I got my one, pricing generally £1700-£2200.

Usual eBay if it looks too good etc. I’d want it to have the box/bag/cables/remote and be in perfect nick shown powered up.

You could put WTD Ads here/pink/AoS/AVForums but they are sought after so you need a bit of luck/timing.

The 203 is fine unless you’re after the enhanced DACs/Analogue Out.

ATB
Gus

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I'm pretty sure a couple of the large dealers were selling both the Oppo 205 & 203 with 5 years warranty I'm certain Seven Oaks did when I purchased mine in 2019 and if I remember correctly Peter Tyson also. Not so certain but possibly Richer Sounds and John Lewis were as well.

So a later model might give some additional piece of mind out to 2024-2025 if the 5 year warranty is transferable and the unit comes with original receipt from one of these dealers.

Amber Audio

This is the Day….
Wammer Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Aberdeenshire
AKA
Angus
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

A.S.

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 1, 2014
Hertfordshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just been reading about these two machines and aside from the glowing paid reviews, the comments from general public are critical, judgemental and unimpressed with either the Reavon and Pannde. I don’t know if it’s dissatisfaction at the functionality, the superficially impressive build quality or plain old anti-Chinese sentiment.

Last edited:

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sold a mint 205 on eBay for £1685 last summer, for what its worth. Lovely player, it just wasn't getting used and I needed room for a PS5.

Amber Audio

This is the Day….
Wammer Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Aberdeenshire
AKA
Angus
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looked on Richer and none for sale. Are Richer still selling used ones?
No your choices are used trade ins from dealers or forum classifieds and the dreaded eBay. A WTD Ad might work but be prepared to bump it for as longs as it takes and it’s common knowledge these decks go for much more than RRP. so no bargains.

Makes you wonder why Oppo don’t release a £5K 305 with Audiocom style mods onboard - souped up psu and analogue stage, cos I reckon it’d fly.

Reactions: JamieMcC and sgee

Amber Audio

This is the Day….
Wammer Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Aberdeenshire
AKA
Angus
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the price these players are going for is a bit silly. £2k+ for a discontinued 2nd/3rd/4th hand universal disc player?

£799
https://www.zidoo.tv/Product/spec/model/UHD3000/target/+Dz8xq0qTaFKKmVViAFMcQ==.html
https://www.futeko.com/products/MP110.php
You‘d need to add hard drives and rip your Blu and SACD to ISO and not all menus work, can’t be arsed ripping Blu takes too long plus it chews disk space.

I looked at one and recall posts saying Zidoo internal fan was noisy and needing a swap out for a Nocua.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You’d be lucky to get a mint 205 for under £2k I reckon. To be fair, they were probably worth that new, and as mentioned already, even the Reavon seems to fall a bit short.

Reactions: JamieMcC

Oppoman

New Wammer
Apr 8, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looking to buy an Oppo this year and wondered what the going price was please?

Aside from good reviews by a seller, is there anything to watch out for when buying off eBay?

Are these machines still repairable/serviceable please?
Hi I'm selling my 205 it's in perfect condition with everything

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a 205 for a couple of years. I have no idea what the fascination with them is, I sold mine for a ridiculous sum, I didn't miss it in the slightest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.