tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Having recently bought and taken the plunge in active speakers I would like someone else’s opinion. I went to see a job a few months ago, who owner had a system, so we got talking obviously.

I’ve been working at the house this week, he has a pair of the linn speakers, I had no idea which, but turns out they are akudorik stand mounters. I was very surprised how much they cost. Has anyone heard a pair of these?

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No. But I did google.

Can't believe how far Linn have moved away from the average punter.

A shame really. I always loved my LP12 and Kans (yes, I know).

I do appreciate that this was a long time ago.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought these were essentially a complete system, amps, dac, room correction and everything. They are more than just a pair of speakers.

They look quite innovative (and, yes, expensive).

Pedro2

Pedro2
Wammer
Sep 9, 2018
High Peak
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought these were essentially a complete system, amps, dac, room correction and everything. They are more than just a pair of speakers.

They look quite innovative (and, yes, expensive).
I’m not quite sure that they are complete in the sense that you need a Linn streamer to feed them. They are based on Linn’s ‘exakt’ technology which aims to keep the signal in the digital domain for as long as possible before it reaches the speaker drivers (even if the signal originates from an analogue source such as a turntable).

According to Linn’s approach, this ‘purist’ design will lead to the most accurate possible rendition in sound. They might be right (I don’t know). However, you need to have very deep pockets to be able to reproduce a gnat’s fart at 20m.

I’m all for detail and accuracy, but my present system is revealing enough for me and I’d need an ear transplant from someone 40 years younger to fully appreciate anything more.

Reactions: griffo104

terrycym

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 6, 2011
North Hampshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Never heard of them so I looked on their web site, from £24,860.
Look like ugly B&O
Is that where Linn are going to nowadays?
Modern day B&O?

Blzebub

Thundering bigot
Wammer
Dec 22, 2015
Stamford, Lincs
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've heard Linn's flagship actives, and they are not a patch on ATCs. Off-the-shelf third-party drivers.

Linn have never been much good at speakers, the streamers are OK, but massively over-priced.

Pennypacker

d^_^b
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Having recently bought and taken the plunge in active speakers I would like someone else’s opinion. I went to see a job a few months ago, who owner had a system, so we got talking obviously.

I’ve been working at the house this week, he has a pair of the linn speakers, I had no idea which, but turns out they are akudorik stand mounters. I was very surprised how much they cost. Has anyone heard a pair of these?

Akudoriks and Akubariks are the second tier in the Linn range, I never heard them in detail, but coming from a Majik Exakt system (second tier) I would consider Akudoriks or Akubariks as the next logical step.

I use an Akurate Exakt box in combination with a Linn legacy speaker (Keltik) and it is in principle the same system as the Akudorik, a digital active system, DAC on each channel, phase correction and optional digital room DSP which I use to great satisfaction. U do need a controller to manage it all, in my case a system hub, which normally is also a part of the Akudorik package, so the streamer is included.

Now call my biased since I’m a Linn-fan, but I would not trade it for another brand…

If one knows the Linn hierarchy, the completeness of the system and values the philosophy and of course sound, the price is what it is.. not cheap, not overpriced.

If money was no problem, Akudoriks or Akubariks where on top of my list. As always YMMV.

Reactions: HollyJohnsen

Blzebub

Thundering bigot
Wammer
Dec 22, 2015
Stamford, Lincs
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Akudoriks and Akubariks are the second tier in the Linn range, I never heard them in detail, but coming from a Majik Exakt system (second tier) I would consider Akudoriks or Akubariks as the next logical step.

I use an Akurate Exakt box in combination with a Linn legacy speaker (Keltik) and it is in principle the same system as the Akudorik, a digital active system, DAC on each channel, phase correction and optional digital room DSP which I use to great satisfaction. U do need a controller to manage it all, in my case a system hub, which normally is also a part of the Akudorik package, so the streamer is included.

Now call my biased since I’m a Linn-fan, but I would not trade it for another brand…

If one knows the Linn hierarchy, the completeness of the system and values the philosophy and of course sound, the price is what it is.. not cheap, not overpriced.

If money was no problem, Akudoriks or Akubariks where on top of my list. As always YMMV.
I've heard Akubariks - marginally less awful than the Klimax 350 actives.

Most Linn fans never audition any other brands, and this is why they remain Linn fans. Does this apply to you? Be honest.

Pedro2

Pedro2
Wammer
Sep 9, 2018
High Peak
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I believe that Linn Klimax 350 actives with a Klimax System hub would set you back a cool £70k+ ….. I’m not sure what more to say at this point……

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I heard them once, at a dealer demo in Monmouth, around the time when Linn’s Space Optimisation was launched too. The room wasn’t ideal as iirc it was at the end of the shop, in a room-sized area, but opening into the whole floor area.

Beautifully finished speakers and stands, and the price is very high being a active system with amps and DACs built in. Very much locked in to Linn’s system ‘architecture’ therefore. It was a very powerful sound , big dynamics and a large sound stage, but none of the music played was ‘natural’ so hard to gauge accuracy. Impressive for sure, and the SO made compromised location sound notably better. It was also the first time I heard Daft Punk (on LP too, as it was played on a Sondek) and I still love Get Lucky!

Last edited:

Pedro2

Pedro2
Wammer
Sep 9, 2018
High Peak
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In defence of Linn (streamers), I remember auditioning the (then) new Majik DSM at a Linn dealership years ago. My wife and I had gone to the shop to listen to a Naim integrated amp and we were using a humble Squeeze Box Touch as a main digital source.

The dealer conveniently couldn’t find the amp for a while and left us to listen to the Majik. He then let us hear a Naim streamer for comparison. We preferred the more airy sound of the Linn and were both impressed with its flexibility (HDMI inputs, AirPlay etc).

Needless to say, the Linn Majik came home, and up to this point, we’ve never been sufficiently tempted to move elsewhere.

Since then, however, time and HiFi kit has moved on. Other companies have moved into the streaming sector, and Linn have nudged ever closer into the stratosphere of esoteric kit.

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No doubt Linn have produced examples of being at the forefront of technology on a few occasions over their long existence, but it feels like there isn't anything they're doing these days that can't be found (cheaper) elsewhere.

In my early hi-fi years (1990's) there seemed to be a lot of dealers creating the idea that the hi-fi ladder started with Rega, moved on to Naim and end game culminated with Linn. There are still a few presenting this 'best of British' journey.

It's a strategy that works well for those not interested in exploring beyond the mainstream, but it's not going to wash with proper enthusiasts in an age of such incredible diversity and options.

• Upvote
Reactions: Pedro2 and Blzebub

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Case in point, Linn's DSP (referred to as their 'Space Optimisation' software) doesn't use room-based microphone measurements, but instead relies on generic input data (room dimensions, average furnishings categories etc).

In the world of computer modelling, I think SO would be described as a 'scoping exercise' at best, versus the many 'detailed modelling' options available in really very budget units nowadays.

(caveated with the fact that this seemed to be how SO worked a couple of years ago when I looked into it, so apologies to Linn if they've enhanced it now).

• Upvote
Reactions: Blzebub

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm a "Schrodinger's Linnie", as I both like them and don't like them! 🤔

I liked (and owned) an LP12 - but mostly because I liked the synergy with 80s Naim. I also owned Karik/Numerik and Kairn/LK100. I don't like their current Amps and the more expensive they get, the less I like them. I find their passive speakers a bit "meh". Their Active stuff is much better, but far too much money.

I still really like (and own) their Streamers and their Cables - but that is the only product I would now buy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.