Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have no details but I understand this colourful character passed away on 31st December.  

He brought a lot of joy and discussion to the hifi world .. I remember fondly his budget Elite Amp and Preamp (I still have the preamp in the loft).  He was associated with The Rock Turntable and love it or hate it the damping at the sharp end does the business.

His seismic stands are lovely (but far too expensive for me) and if I won the lottery I would get a pair for my loudspeakers if only to just give them a nudge every now and then and feel them wobble.  

Our hifi world needs characters and it is sad to lose them.  RIP Max and my sincere condolences to your family and close friends 

Bodgit

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2019
Woking
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's really sad news. I was fortunate to meet with Max at the Factory, he showed me what he was working on 'upstairs'. RIP Max indeed.

Reactions: MVJ

manisandher

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2013
Leamington Spa
AKA
Mani
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is really sad news.

I met Max a number of times, including at his home some 20 years ago now, I suppose - I was collecting a seismic sink stand that I'd bought off him. Had the opportunity to listen to a pair of totally mad speakers he'd developed. The consummate salesman though he was, he didn't succeed on that occasion ;-)

He did succeed on many others though! I have multiple sets of virtually all his isolation products. Because they work better than anything else I've come across. I also own a Rock 7 TT, with his latest Excalibur arm. I've measured the effect of its front damping trough and can say without a doubt that it works as specified, especially with low-compliance cartridges.

Bumping into Max at the odd audio show was a delight. He seemed always to have a cheeky glint in his eye, and be full of enthusiasm. A lovely guy.

Max, thanks for your contribution to our hobby. RIP.

Mani.

Rayymondo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very sad news. I also had the pleasure of meeting Max several times, always at the Bristol show. He was always very approachable and friendly, the first time I met him I bought one of his Seismic platforms off him, they may have been quite new then, was about 20 years ago. I still use his Supertweeters in my system.

He always came across as a very decent chap.

Reactions: MVJ

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Upvote