Road to a simpler hi-fi life

mariovidal65@yahoo.it

New Wammer
Jan 3, 2021
Dear Michael, I've ever been aesthetically fashinated by Electrocompaniet ECI1, it is a dual mono, 100w, Class A (they say it but id doesn't run hot like a class A, and a 100w class A integrated would cost 5x probably...).

I've found what I've considered a good deal so I bought one.

I connected it to a BS last generation Node and to a pair of Proac One SC first and D2R now and the sound of this small system is really magic, at a point that I've tried the ECI1 in my main system, comparing it to an ARC Ref 75SE (yes I use it with no preamp...)...
The EC is not better, it is different, but its musicality has nothing to envy to the ARC and I feel a real, tangible craving of hear it as soon as possible and as much time as possible: it is sweet, detailed, three-dimensional, musical, powerful, delicate, dynamic, transparent but velvety at the same time...
I've owned I think more than 30 different amplification systems but the EC is for sure the one I liked the most. If I've persuaded you, couple it with detailed, transparent, punchy speakers, it's no a matter of impedance or sensibility as it has no problems on these sides, and you will be happy. If I've not persuaded you please try to listen to it.

Pay attention as it is abt 30 yo and a lot of them have been repaired and/or badly modified, but if you find the right one, 1000€ and you are done.

Good luck.

Mario

michaelf1000

Wammer
Dec 31, 2021
Tranent. SCOTLAND
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I went for a simpler life with an all active system - KEF LS50Ws + KEF R400b subs. That’s the entire system and it sounds great in a large room with a lot of acoustic treatment. I do have a couple of valve amp based systems too, but I still find the all active system sweet, detailed and dynamic.
Good to see some feedback on someone with a SS active system and valve systems. I get the feeling that people generally settle on one side or other.

Tristan

Lurker Extraordinaire
Wammer
Mar 17, 2014
Leeds
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Primare I35 might well fit the bill for option 3. As would a Naim Nova.

Reactions: gryphon

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Or...you could track down a First Watt SIT 3 ? Abandon the active plan...because it might just give you the sound you are looking for and you could fall in love with it :)

michaelf1000

Wammer
Dec 31, 2021
Tranent. SCOTLAND
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dear Michael, I've ever been aesthetically fashinated by Electrocompaniet ECI1, it is a dual mono, 100w, Class A (they say it but id doesn't run hot like a class A, and a 100w class A integrated would cost 5x probably...).

I've found what I've considered a good deal so I bought one.

I connected it to a BS last generation Node and to a pair of Proac One SC first and D2R now and the sound of this small system is really magic, at a point that I've tried the ECI1 in my main system, comparing it to an ARC Ref 75SE (yes I use it with no preamp...)...
The EC is not better, it is different, but its musicality has nothing to envy to the ARC and I feel a real, tangible craving of hear it as soon as possible and as much time as possible: it is sweet, detailed, three-dimensional, musical, powerful, delicate, dynamic, transparent but velvety at the same time...
I've owned I think more than 30 different amplification systems but the EC is for sure the one I liked the most. If I've persuaded you, couple it with detailed, transparent, punchy speakers, it's no a matter of impedance or sensibility as it has no problems on these sides, and you will be happy. If I've not persuaded you please try to listen to it.

Pay attention as it is abt 30 yo and a lot of them have been repaired and/or badly modified, but if you find the right one, 1000€ and you are done.

Good luck.

Mario
Hi Mario, thank you for sharing your experience. I have heard good things about this amp, maybe something more up to date is available to prevent some of the issues you talk about. It is always a concern with hi-fi and I expect the many people, myself included have bought from mainstream brands like Naim, B&W, etc. The back-up service over the years prevents you being left with an expensive white elephant.

Mario how do you rate the D2R's? Are they quite easy to match amplifier wise ?

Cheers, Michael

michaelf1000

Wammer
Dec 31, 2021
Tranent. SCOTLAND
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Primare I35 might well fit the bill for option 3. As would a Naim Nova.
The Primare for sure to be considered. The Naim Nova may be better if a better match can be found than the B&W 704's that I heard it with. Did not move me at all. Maybe my taste has changed, or matured over the years like hating Parmesan when younger and now loving it with a full bodied red wine...... :love:

Reactions: DomT

Tristan

Lurker Extraordinaire
Wammer
Mar 17, 2014
Leeds
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Primare for sure to be considered. The Naim Nova may be better if a better match can be found than the B&W 704's that I heard it with. Did not move me at all. Maybe my taste has changed, or matured over the years like hating Parmesan when younger and now loving it with a full bodied red wine...... :love:
I'll be honest I've not really liked much of the current Naim stuff when I've heard it. I went back to the Olive kit after spending way too much on the Classic line. Saved myself a fortune :sneaky:
I've had an I32 in the recent past and it was really bloody good. I probably should've kept it, TBH.

Reactions: maddog_007

michaelf1000

Wammer
Dec 31, 2021
Tranent. SCOTLAND
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll be honest I've not really liked much of the current Naim stuff when I've heard it. I went back to the Olive kit after spending way too much on the Classic line. Saved myself a fortune :sneaky:
I've had an I32 in the recent past and it was really bloody good. I probably should've kept it, TBH.
Tristan, I did not think about this before, but you are spot on. I had a 62/140 and loved it with EPOS ES11's and a DPA Renaissance CDP. It was wonderful. Unfortunately the ES11 was fine playing across the room, but not along the length. Amazing, I say a pair of ES11's on eBay for £600! Thanks for the heads up :D

Reactions: Tristan

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
My system could readily be built second hand for your budget. Even with shipping here, with cabling I'm well under that figure. Smooth mids for days!

The earlier comment about series three's is true, but my less than five minutes experience with a single unit in a quiet, but huge, hifi shop says just one wasn't loud enough.

Reactions: michaelf1000

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Lee. Looks interesting. Not so sure if my room is too small for these.
I too, choose speakers on their mid-range abilities, which I am sure is why Q acoustics have been mentioned.
I went to dem a streamer recently and they played it through the Q acoustic 500. I was blown away by their mid-range qualities. They have got the design of the box right in terms of dealing with acoustic resonance.
Consequently, they can function in smaller rooms, and this is how they demonstrated the system to me, with them pushed up against the back wall.
Your liking of a mid-band-centric speaker might need to be your priority, if, like me, your appreciation of its importance in the audio chain is a priority, in terms of enjoying your music.
Of course, these are just my thoughts, given our mutual liking for mid-band qualities in a speaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jules_S

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi, just to add a permutation for your option 3 - you could have a streaming preamp used with a power amp. Still 2 boxes but slightly different config.
I'm thinking of moving from an all-in-one to an "all-in-two" system.

For 15 years I used valve amps, mainly SETe using PX-25 or 845 but also a Graaf OTL and a rather unsatisfactory 300B amp. After these 15 years I made a decision (for similar reasons as the OP) to move to SS if I could find an amp that offered the excitement factor I enjoyed from valve amps. I bought or borrowed numerous amps but settled in the end for the NAD M32, later upgraded to M33. First class sound with none of the hassle-factor associated wth valves - and I immediately found I was listening to much more music.

This is all the OP needs - just add speakers. I had Avantgarde Unos, but there are so many choices and the M32 / M33 can power most quite satisfactorilt. However he may be able to find a good pair of Unos for £4K, so all well within his budget and he'll be thrilled with the sound and simplicity of this digital-only system.

I'm only thinking of going 2-box in an effort to improve further the electronics now I'll chanhed my Unos for much more costly Duo XD speakers. However it'll take a lot to better the M33.

Last edited:

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I too, choose speakers on their mid-range abilities, which I am sure is why Q acoustics have been mentioned.
I went to dem a streamer recently and they played it through the Q acoustic 500. I was blown away by their mid-range qualities. They have got the design of the box right in terms of dealing with acoustic resonance.
Consequently, they can function in smaller rooms, and this is how they demonstrated the system to me, with them pushed up against the back wall.
Your liking of a mid-band-centric speaker might need to be your priority, if, like me, your appreciation of its importance in the audio chain is a priority, in terms of enjoying your music.
Of course, these are just my thoughts, given our mutual liking for mid-band qualities in a speaker.
DISCLAIMER: as many know, I'm a QA fanboy and ex-Concept 500 owner so naturally biased in their favour, but I do agree that they have excellent performance and a very "comfortable" (if that makes sense) midrange that communicates the emotion in human vocals. It's a quality that seems to permeate their entire range - call it a "house sound" if you will, but they're very easy to live with and really do punch above their weight at pretty much every price point, even if the competition get stiffer for the more expensive models.

One thing I would tend to disagree on a little is positioning. To get the best from them they really need free space - get them away from the front wall and get those damned port bungs out! They're a big speaker and you'll not hear them at their best or how special their abilities in imaging are until you do that. The sound will improve greatly from not being constricted - I always find that "bunged" ported speakers sound congested, just like we do with a blocked nose when "heavy with cold".

Had I not had the opportunity to change to ESLs at a price I could justify, I would still be very happy with mine.

Edit: apologies to theOP, I realised we have veered off-topic a bit (no surprises there for the Wam!) However, back on topic, I would suggest trying to audition the QA Active 400 model, which I expect to have the same sort of tonal characteristics. Combined with a good streamer such as an Auralic, the Cambridge Audio 851N or even (as the budget would probably stretch) the Edge NQ I think you'd have an excellent 1-box streaming solution (N.B. technically 2-box as the speakers have a small "hub" for connection)

Last edited:
Reactions: hiesteem

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, of course, every speaker will usually sound better if it is not bouncing its energy off of walls and wooden floors. I have accepted this compromise in my own room, with Ruark Equinox, but feel some compromise is normally required to benefit from a full-range speaker with delicious mids!
I haven't changed a component since the 90s other than servicing the electronics and adding a Dac. So I am not easily impressed by most of the stuff out there nowadays.
The funny thing is I go to a lot of the shows, for a day out and never expect to be motivated by much.
Then I book a dem at Richer sounds to listen to an £800 streamer and sit there with a silly smile on my face as I have a chance meeting with a speaker that elicits its voluptuous tonal sweetness to me, which leaves me wanting to take it home for a more intimate experience. :love::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Jules_S

Sotosound

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2014
Buckinghamshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, of course, every speaker will usually sound better if it is not bouncing its energy off of walls and wooden floors. I have accepted this compromise in my own room, with Ruark Equinox, but feel some compromise is normally required to benefit from a full-range speaker with delicious mids!
I haven't changed a component since the 90s other than servicing the electronics and adding a Dac. So I am not easily impressed by most of the stuff out there nowadays.
The funny thing is I go to a lot of the shows, for a day out and never expect to be motivated by much.
Then I book a dem at Richer sounds to listen to an £800 streamer and sit there with a silly smile on my face as I have a chance meeting with a speaker that elicits its voluptuous tonal sweetness to me, which leaves me wanting to take it home for a more intimate experience. :love::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I wondered what a rear port was for....

• Haha
Reactions: hiesteem

Turn it up!

Wam Bam
Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A pair of active speakers and a blusound Node. Job done.

Streaming tech is changing quickly so steer clear of any all in one speaker / streamer. Good actives will last and the Node is relatively cheap for what it can do and very re saleable. IMO you’d have to make some very serious jumps up the streamer chain to hear any real difference. You can always add a separate DAC if you want to but again not worth it unless it’s a real step up.

Reactions: hiesteem and Ceko

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One box solution Hegel amplifier has a built in streamer and buy a good pair of speakers
But I'm told the Hegel's streamer feature is pretty poor, in particular Hegel don't provide an app, so you probably have to go the Roon route - rather against the "all-in-one" ideal it at first seems! I would have switched from NAD M33 to Hegel H590 had my dealer (who handles both NAD and Hegel) not warned me against the Hegel if I wanted to use its streamer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.