Tannoy Canterbury vs. GRF vs. Kensington

Vinyl Rules!

New Wammer
Aug 30, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Am planning on Tannoy speakers to replace my ageing B&W DM 3000’s in 1st quarter of next year. Amplifier is 2nd generation vintage McIntosh (MC2205) and my room is 24’ x 12’ x 8’.

Am interested in suggestions/comments. The 15” Canterbury appeals to be, but I wonder if I will lose too much “slam” and room pressurization if I go with the 10” Kensington? I have a slight hesitancy about the GRF after reading a review it was “brassy” in the midrange.

I’d REALLY like to buy Westminster’s but they are out of my price range. I have heard them and marvel at how well they load a room with pressurization and how your body viscerally feels with their “slam” when they’re playing!

I’ve not heard the other Tannoy’s mentioned here, but I’d like to recreate the “slam” and room pressurization of the Westminsters in my 24’ x 12’ x 8’ room. Please feel free to comment.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Listen to a pair of GRF' before writing them off. They may not be for you, there is a shortfall of deep bass, but they will fill the room without breaking a sweat and are fully deserving in the company you mention. Midrange is just the regular Tannoy thang; love it or hate it...

Ward

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2010
AKA
Ward
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Kensingtons are the first of the prestige range to utilise the better pepperpot waveguide but they utilise 10 inch drivers; for the effect you are looking for in your room you need to step up in size, however do not discount other versions of the 15 inch driver implementation such as the larger Glenairs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.