Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Will all the reports from the Hifi shows blaming the room, just intrigued how many people have actually made or had to make changes to their listening room ?

as an aside, my room has one solid exterior wall, one with a huge window, and 2 plasterboard style walls. Should speakers beagainst a dead or live sounding wall?

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
Rug... best upgrade ever! And I spend hours adjusting and adjusting my speaker positions which are currently 59 cm from the back wall and 99 cm from the sides...

JJ

Shakey

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2006
Wallingford, Oxon.
AKA
Gavin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I voted twice (
smile.png
) as I have the usual bookshelves etc but I have never thought about it. My other half definitely wouldn't be having diffusers and the rest of it stuck to the walls...come to think of it I wouldn't either. I think I'd rather spend money on music despite the advantages that I'm sure are possible.
smile.png

A

adam

I did my room the best I could,the improvements were huge,the best thing you can invest in,wife permitting,I will do the shop once my liscense comes through.

Shakey

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2006
Wallingford, Oxon.
AKA
Gavin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmmm, perhaps I should get some of those metal cup thiongs ina block of would as discussed in the "For Tones" thread...
wink.png

I'd really like to hear what can be done (with proper room treatments, not metal cup things)!

harv

Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
adam wrote:

I did my room the best I could,the improvements were huge,the best thing you can invest in,wife permitting,I will do the shop once my liscense comes through.
What sort of things did you do ?

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
i voted that i just use normal furniture, but still don't have enough yet.

i mentioned curtains to my girlfriend (they would go on one side wall) and she said the blinds are ok and didn't really think it's worth the expense just for acoustics. I also mentioned on tuesday about maybe hanging some nice materially thing/rug on the other side wall instead of framed pictures, but that didn't go down well either.

It;s still a bit echoey for my liking, but getting better. rug and bookshelves have definitely helped and a nice, softarmchair should also improve things. wooden floors may look good but are terrible for acoustics.

Ideally I'd like a separate listening room treated where necessary with GOOD LOOKING treatments/furniture etc. back in the real world i'll just have to make do with what is acceptable to both of us.

Vic Mackey

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Below the Noise Floo
My room is fully treated. There are lots of products and coverings of absorbing and diffusingmaterials about so with a bit of imagination you con easy treat your room. Just depends how serious you are about this hobby.

Anthony, that echo you can hear is flutter. I guess you have two reflecting walls facing each other.

Vic
smile.png

A

adam

harv wrote:

adam wrote:
What sort of things did you do ?
Hi Harv,

The first thing I did was pick matty at RPG brains and help and alot of reasing to help me understand what you need to do,why?and where to put it.

I started out with foam from RPG and matty,I helped tame the livelyness of the room,and bass traps for the corners.It helped but didn't solve the problem,so I made them thicker to help the coefficents (spelling).Making them thicker by using rockwall to a depth of 8-10cm helped trap more freqs I was having problems with.

I then bought some fabric to cover them,hung them on the walls behind the speakers,first reflections,bass traps for the corners,and more absorbtion for the rear wall.

The effects were startling,this is when I really saw the importance of treating a room,for me it was OK as the room was built as the entertainment room.It still has some bummer notes at low freq probably due to alot of glass down one side.

Laugh at a carpet,but it makes a really big difference,hard surface floors and lamite are killers of good sound.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
it does matter...it really does...no snake oil, but it's a compromise between living and hifi, so I arrange the room as best I can according to sensible practice.... Concrete floor 3/4 rugged, bookcase on one side wall, window with heavy curtains on the other, large setee facing spks...fairly standard...if it sound a bit hard, consider hanging a rug behind the setee, or try drawing the curtains, but otherwise that's it.

S

smu

Auralex 50mm foam wedges on the wall behind my speakers and one on each side wall. . . . as Adam said, the improvements to the sound and especially the sound stage are huge.

smu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.