• I use electronic room correction eg TACT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
I also removed the coffee table sitting between the speakers and the sofa. Must be my imagination but the sound was less cluttered and open
biggrin.png

JJ

Micke Y

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 8, 2006
Stockholm, , Sweden
I consider my room fully treated with lots of crazy looking things but there are some thoughts behind the madness.

Absorbation of all first reflexes

Diffusion on every wall to lessen reflexes but not fully damp them - dont want a dead room

First half - absorbation

Second half - more diffusion

Bass absorbers (true bass, down to 25Hz) behind speakers

The result of all this is lots and lots of more details, more even bass respons, soundstage as big or small as I want (speaker placement issue), low background noise, very dynamic presentation.

Any down sides? Well I need a little more power than before. Nothing more.

cheers

Michael

Killahertz

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2005
South Cheshire, , Un
jonjin wrote:

I also removed the coffee table sitting between the speakers and the sofa. Must be my imagination but the sound was less cluttered and open
biggrin.png
JJ
No, not your imagination, but a real and demonstrable 'effect'. I cover this (and other 'practical domestic' acoustical considerations) in my article - available here:

http://www.killahertz-acoustics.co.uk/index.htm

As for my own room: well, I voted 'part treated'. My room is, as with most others here, a shared function living room. I have given precedence to equipment and loudspeaker positioning, and use more 'treatment' than most will be able to for domestically acceptable reasons, but as the room is not dedicated, I do not feel that I am able to treat it completely.

FYI, the room is of brick wall construction (one window and one door), with a solid concrete floor, and the treatments are as follows:Three 4'x2' (DIY) semi-active absorbent panels (two wall-mounted, and one free-standing - side and rear walls). One 4'x1.5' (DIY) free-standing (centre front wall mounted) 2D (Skyline-esque) diffusor panel. Three ceiling-mounted 2'x2' (RPG) Skylines. Two 2'x2' (RPG) Hemifusors (outside front wall mounted). And 4x (DIY) Helmholtz Resonant Absorbers (twoata fundamentalaxial resonance, and two at it's third harmonic). Oh, and i've (DIY) soundproofed the doortoo.

Matt J

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 7, 2006
Not Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Killahertz wrote:

As for my own room: well, I voted 'part treated'. My room is, as with most others here, a shared function living room. I have given precedence to equipment and loudspeaker positioning, and use more 'treatment' than most will be able to for domestically acceptable reasons, but as the room is not dedicated, I do not feel that I am able to treat it completely.

FYI, the room is of brick wall construction (one window and one door), with a solid concrete floor, and the treatments are as follows:Three 4'x2' (DIY) semi-active absorbent panels (two wall-mounted, and one free-standing - side and rear walls). One 4'x1.5' (DIY) free-standing (centre front wall mounted) 2D (Skyline-esque) diffusor panel. Three ceiling-mounted 2'x2' (RPG) Skylines. Two 2'x2' (RPG) Hemifusors (outside front wall mounted). And 4x (DIY) Helmholtz Resonant Absorbers (twoata fundamentalaxial resonance, and two at it's third harmonic). Oh, and i've (DIY) soundproofed the doortoo.
26.gif.8017d59dcd366c78cba0db9463c65b0f.gif
tease.gif.a6e550ff9c07be38d7cbd4260be35dc9.gif

If I ever get to this stage I hope a close relative severly and repeatedlykicks me in the bollocks to try and bring me round

Killahertz

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2005
South Cheshire, , Un
Matt J wrote:

If I ever get to this stage I hope a close relative severly and repeatedlykicks me in the bollocks to try and bring me round
Why have a relative do it?. In negating the effect of the room on system performance you have metaphorically done it to yourself and your system long since.

Yes, my system is visually intrusive. Those that see it are affected - usually by intense curiosity. But, then, that is the difference - i'm in this game for the music. The performance of my system means more to me than does the latest offering from Ikea.

Vic Mackey

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Below the Noise Floo
Killahertz wrote:

Matt J wrote:
Why have a relative do it?. In negating the effect of the room on system performance you have metaphorically done it to yourself and your system long since.

Yes, my system is visually intrusive. Those that see it are affected - usually by intense curiosity. But, then, that is the difference - i'm in this game for the music. The performance of my system means more to me than does the latest offering from Ikea.......
goodpost.gif.00822561e807cf35c79b3503f2e609d0.gif

....or indeed the latest discreet andvisual attractive matching boxes.

That's an echo (excusse the pun) from my heart.

Vic
smile.png

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
Killahertz, by any chance are there any photos of your room and treatment on this forum(i've a feeling i may have seen them on another thread a couple of months back) ?

Vic Mackey

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Below the Noise Floo
TannoyBoy wrote:

what about artex? does this help
biggrin.png
Funny enough, a deeply grooved artexed ceiling will go somewhat todiffuse sound, as will large plants positioned at the right location. However you have no control of which frequencies they affect.But you should still take care off the first reflection point on the ceiling.

Vic
smile.png

hifinut

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2006
Ramsgate Southeast K
AKA
Paul
My hifi is setup in a room with a computer to one side cant fit it anywhere else little space for my stuff and I have lots of it lol;)

Probably dont image as well as it could but the proacs studio 100's do sound superb give very deep tight bass smooth mids andairy highs Id love to space them out better to see how good theycan getone day maybe? need own house live at home again at mo and with prices going silly more to spend on hifi insted:pso dont care will build cinema room one day with bloody great 8-10 feet + screen by then all should be settled with formats and better priced too.

Killahertz

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2005
South Cheshire, , Un
Sheva wrote:

Killahertz, by any chance are there any photos of your room and treatment on this forum (i've a feeling i may have seen them on another thread a couple of months back) ?
It is possible (on other forums), yes. Although the most i've managed are individual elements - the size, layout, and position of the door mean that it is impossible for me (and my acutely limited photographic skills) to cover the system as a whole.

Vic Mackey wrote:

TannoyBoy wrote:
what about artex? does this help
biggrin.png
Funny enough, a deeply grooved artexed ceiling will go somewhat todiffuse sound, as will large plants positioned at the right location. However you have no control of which frequencies they affect.But you should still take care off the first reflection point on the ceiling.

Vic
smile.png
I too have been asked about this, andagree with Vic's conclusion. It would be nice to be able to quantify this, but the type, style, and applicationof material being different in everysituation rules this out.

hifinut wrote:

My hifi is setup in a room with a computer to one side cant fit it anywhere else little space for my stuff and I have lots of it lol;)Probably dont image as well as it could but the proacs studio 100's do sound superb give very deep tight bass smooth mids andairy highs Id love to space them out better to see how good theycan getone day maybe? need own house live at home again at mo and with prices going silly more to spend on hifi insted:pso dont care will build cinema room one day with bloody great 8-10 feet + screen by then all should be settled with formats and better priced too.
All rooms are compromised to a greater or lesser degree, which limits system set-up and (by degree) performance, too. The difference comes in acknowledging these limitations and then working within (or around)them to maximise set-up, and hence performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online