Wammer
Wammer
Nov 25, 2009
Wirral & London,
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My experience with Shure Catridges is that they really sing when mounted on a Uni-Pivot. I had a Shure V15 mk ii on a Transcriptors Fluid arm ( went on to be the Michell Fluid when they took over the manufacture ) mounted on a Hydraulic Reference. It worked really well in that arm and wasn't that far from the Goldring 2500 that replaced it. It wasn't as good but then it was a lot older with a needle in unknown state.

I've since put the Shure onto a Origin Live modded RB250 on a Gyro and it sounds no where near as good. Even though the Gyro is a "better" deck than the Hydraulic the arm cartridge pairing just isn't anywhere near as good.

It would be very interesting to compare the Hadcock/Shure mounted on the Gyro so you could isolate the character of the 401.

I'm intending to put a Goldring 2500 on my Gyrodec and so people will be able to compare the Transcriptor and Michell on a level playing field.

P

Pac67

Interesting Nick and from my own experience, I agree with what you've said. The Hadcock seems to bring out the best in the Shure carts in ways the 3009 didn't seem to be able to (I had several Shures previously tried out in the 3009). Whilst the 3009 is pretty to look at, the Hadcock beats it quite convincingly in the performance stakes. Its far more refined and less prone to what I believe were resonance issues I has with my 3009 at the higher end.

It could be interesting to try in fitted to the Gyro, but to be honest, the 401 looks just as pretty sat in its new plinth IMHO as the Gyro does, and I'm contemplating selling my whole Gyro front end now (Gyro SE/SME309/Shelter5000/Ear834p Signature) as it may well be a £5.5K front end with strengths over the 401, but on balance, I now prefer the 401 combo.

stewartwen

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 30, 2006
near Blackpool
AKA
Stewart
"isolate the character of the 401". In my experience the 401 turntable/Hadcock combination has no "character" of its own. Rather it just plays the music as it was recorded. Although according to the press they display treble "shriekiness" this is not what I have found in over fourty years of running a 401.

P

Pac67

"isolate the character of the 401". In my experience the 401 turntable/Hadcock combination has no "character" of its own. Rather it just plays the music as it was recorded. Although according to the press they display treble "shriekiness" this is not what I have found in over fourty years of running a 401.
Sounds like utter claptrap to me as well Stewart. How in the Dickens can any TT "display" treble shriekiness? If anything that's the cart/leads/phonostage interaction with a good dollop of crap speakers thrown in to boot ;-)

stewartwen

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 30, 2006
near Blackpool
AKA
Stewart
Twas said by my old editor in print no less! But there again he uses a Gyro, and MC carts!

If a turntable displays an audible "character" then it is not fit for purpose. After all a Hi-Fi turntable should precisely follow the groove and put out what it sees in the vinyl. Provided it is set up correctly.

High Fidelity reproduction means to reproduce the original performance as accurately as is possible. I think a lot of hobbyists forget this on their "search" for the best sounding equipment. And of course the 401 and Hadcocks contain no snake oil at all.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If a turntable displays an audible "character" then it is not fit for purpose. After all a Hi-Fi turntable should precisely follow the groove and put out what it sees in the vinyl. Provided it is set up correctly.
Ah, so you've come across a perfect component have you, Stewart!

That really does defy the laws of physics. :p

- - - Updated - - -

.... but on balance, I now prefer the 401 combo.
Yup, it was more to my taste as well. The Garrard/Hadcock/Shure/Dino-NCPSU sounded a bit livelier and somehow faster. But it did lack the weight and tonal opulence of the gyro. I can well imagine people's opinions being split on preference.

P

Pac67

It could be because I was running the 401 at 78 RPM Jerry! Bob Marley, after all, shouldn't have sounded like a Smurf on aceeeeeed!

Joking apart, I don't think there was night and day difference. The Michell was clean, smooth and had a lovely quiet background by comparison but seemed to lose some of the presence of the event which the 401 just drew you into and yes, there did seem to be an impression of timing differences. The strobe on the 401 was ever so slightly running fast but not by much...only by a small fraction. There was more going on though to explain the differences and I think that overall the 401/Hadcock/Shure seemed to have a slightly more pronounced mid range which added to the feeling of the live event on the "live" track we listened to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.