DSPeaker AntiMode 2.0 Dual Core

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
Before I start, I would like to point out that I have no connection with BD Audio, other than that of the interaction with Jack on the Wam.

I've been really happy with my analogue system for some time now, but speaker/room interactions have meant that I have always had a bit of an issue with loose and boomy bass from the Logans. I guess I just got used to it, so I put up with it. After seeing the AntiMode Dual Core thread from BD Audio, I started wondering if it could be the answer. Given that Jack was offering a 7 day return policy, it seemed daft not to try one.

Anyway, on unpacking the unit, it was clearly well made and unobtrusive, with a comprehensive instruction manual. It took minutes to plug it between my phono stage and Amp. So, the vinyl playback system now consisted of:

AN Io1 cartridge, Origin Live Conqueror arm, Palmer 3 Turntable, Tim de Paravicini 1:100 SUT, Allnic H-1200 p/stage, Tube Technology Synergy Amp and Martin Logan Scenario Speakers

The room calibration is a breeze to set up, so within minutes I was listening to test tones (five "sweeps" I think) followed by this display:

IMG00051-20120624-1332.jpg

It looks like a big hump of something had been removed, but that mattered not, to me. All I was interested in was how did it sound.

How did it sound? Bloody hell! the bass was taught, no boom issues now. The soundstage seemed to have opened up. I was a very happy bunny.

It was now that I encountered a slight problem, but that's a story for another day. Suffice to say, Jack's immediate and excellent help produced the right result.

Anyway, back to today. I decided to have a bit of an experiment with speaker positioning and tried various scenarios (pun very much intended) but one, in particular stood out. I toed the speakers in almost 30 degrees, so that the theoretical "crossover" point (pun not intended) was a couple of feet in fromt of my listening position. It was about now that I had that "eureka" moment. The soundstage opened up even further, imaging was precise and the speakers almost disappeared! The sweet spot was bigger than before (something panel owners will know about, only too well) However, the bass "boom" was back :doh:

Undaunted, I did another room calibration with the Anti Mode and, hey presto, bass boom gone again :eek:j: Still had the wonderful soundstage and bigger sweet spot, but taught bass once again. The little magic box had done it's trick again.

Meaningless (to me!) pic of the second calibration:

roomresponse2.jpg

Conclusion? The biggest "bang for buck" improvement to my system, since my hifi journey began. At the current price (or even a lot more) this has to be a no brainer, for anyone with even small room issues, and there will not be many out there who haven't SOME issues, however minor. Add in the 7 day try and return offer and you owe it to yourself to buy one.

As for the other features, such as parametric EQ and the DAC, will have to wait, I'm too busy listening to the round black stuff to be bothered.

U

User211

Which MLs are you using - just curious as I ran them for 20 odd years.

Good to hear Jack's unit works well:^

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
Which MLs are you using - just curious as I ran them for 20 odd years.Good to hear Jack's unit works well:^
I only mentioned them twice in the OP, but they are

Scenarios

:doh:

gazar

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 24, 2007
Aberdeen. Scotland
AKA
Gaz
The dual core can also be used to Digitise your vinyl collection using your TT/phono on Analogue input and Spdif Digital out.

gazar

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 24, 2007
Aberdeen. Scotland
AKA
Gaz
Gaz Hi, what are you connecting to the s/pdif output to record?KR Keith.
Erm, Not actually tried it yet but you do get a digital out, so surely you could use your laptop/PC with digital in or some sort of adaptor. ?

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
The dual core can also be used to Digitise your vinyl collection using your TT/phono on Analogue input and Spdif Digital out.
hmmmm, not sure I'll be rushing to do that anytime soon :nup:

B

BD Audio

Very interesting that it is possible though, I didn't realise that!

Thanks Gaz.

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
Is that SPDIF output 'corrected' or not? If it were I wouldn't want to record anything off it! ;-)
If I understand you correctly, when you say corrected, I assume you mean, as in the room calibration?

If so, it makes no difference, as there is a bypass switch, via the remote, which gives you the option of the output being "corrected", or not.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If I understand you correctly, when you say corrected, I assume you mean, as in the room calibration?If so, it makes no difference, as there is a bypass switch, via the remote, which gives you the option of the output being "corrected", or not.
Well it might make a difference to some, just looking for clarification which I now have. Thanks. :)

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
Well it might make a difference to some, just looking for clarification which I now have. Thanks. :)
I worded that rather badly Henry, I'm afraid. What I meant to say was you can either have the output, with or without, the correction. :)

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Was going to put my own thread in but probably better to collect any thoughts about this unit is a single thread. I had tried a second TAct unit which I could not get to work but had been so fired up by idea of room correction that I took the plunge and bought one of the Anti-Mode Dual Core units from BD Audio.

A small few points from my view here before I comment. Firstly in my view these types of unit should not be viewed as a lazy mans set up toy. I am sure they will compensate for misalligned speakers and odd placements but you will be losing the real benefits . So make sure you havet set your system up the best you can place your speakers accurately measure the distances , make sure your main seat if truly in the centre. Get the toe in and the distance from back and side walls correct in fact do what we would all normally do get your system to sounds as good as it can first. Then and only then put this unit in and do your calibration.

Using this unit was very simple I had never done anything like this before and in truth looking at the before and after graphs (Jack of BD will be putting my pic on his thread in the Dealers Classified later today for those that are interested) I have little idea what it really means . What I do know and Jack has confirmed is that the red line for my room is just about the worst you can get . Instead of as close as possible a flat line mine looks like the Alps when they were a little younger than today. As I said I could not tell you exactly wht each peak means but I do realise they are not condusive to good sound.

Warning if you room is anything like as bad as mine the calibration will be very loud I am talking that you can hear it not just through a single wall but two walls out into the street. When you do it press the button and leave the room , it only lasts about 6/7 minutes but trust me without ear defenders you do not want to be in the room when it is working. The great thing is once it has been done that is it unless you are really obssesed or change your room then that should be it.

Now to the area most of you will be more interested in , does it work and are the results beneficial ? Well yes and yes. There is a difference between the treated sound and the untreated output. On the unit and sitting in your nromal seat you can switch by the push of a button on the remote from bypass to treated. The full treated out put is better in all areas and the first thing I noticed was an increased naturalness to the sound. Voices sound much more like real voices and Bass is much easier to follow and hear as a seperate instrument in its own right. You do at first think that the bass power has gone but then as you listen you hear the bass in its right place as part of a group not swamping the sound of the bass drum but two things playing together. What has been taken away is the boom and unatural not the instrument .

I am surprised that I was ever able to produce any sort of quality of sound the on seeing measurments of my room but I was ans was happy with it before this. In bypass mode the sound quality is still good and enjoyable , but the corrected version in better and more natural so I will not be using the by pass button anytime soon.

I use the AM unit with a digital feed in and a digital feed out to my Dac then in to my system as normal the digital feed out is fully corrected and dealt with by my Dac as just another digital source. There is scope to use the AM unit as a Dac and feed the Analogue out directly to my Power Amp and bypass my Dac and Valve Pre . This may be even better but involves a considerable move around and can not be set up easily for a direct A/B comparison I will do it at some stage and come back on that but at the moment just playing the music is enough.

I would like to thank Jack at BD for being patient with me and spending time answering my questions . I would love if someone who has the real knowledge would also look at my graph and explain to me what is going on but that is just a curiosity thing . I am planning to bring this little unit to Scalford and will be using it in the room and letting people hear the before and after using the bypass button. If anyone is interested I could be persuaded to try it in other rooms for those who would like to hear the difference with their system.

G

Here's the plot.
df8256a1.jpg
fcuk me!

How much are these things again?

Here's a suggestion: Given the number of these graph photos I've seen (presumably taken with a phone), how about a USB out socket on the room correction box? Shove in a USB stick, press a button on the remote, the box dumps a screengrab of your graph (or other data, like a backup of settings?) onto the USB stick. Then you can post it on t'internet, amaze your friends, confound your enemies etc. Chicks dig graphs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online