System shuffle and the things that happen

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just recently I had a fever buying of cheap little DAC units in this case a couple of NOS ( Metrum Quad / Lite Audio DAC ) . When I put the Metrum in my full music system (the one listed in my signature) I liked what it did to the sound quality adding a real flow and strong concentration on vocals with a surprisingly full and detailed bass .

However there was an issue with the gain from the DAC and my system was running out of volume when low level digital CD's (i.e Ry Cooder Bop Till you Drop) . Asked the question about changing the gain and found that getting the DAC to increase was not really an option and a buffer stage was the best way . This though adds an extra link in the chain and also opens up the nagging doubt of is Buffer A better than Buffer B etc and the whole buying fever takes over and I have too many buffers.

So decided to try a different approach and moved the Concordant Valve pre out of my main system an up to the spare room and move the APV S2000 units to the main system . I had already recently moved the Linn Sara 9's to the bedroom to give the KEF 103 with upgraded crossover a try a few months ago and just because it was easier I set the bedroom system back up and gave it a quick spin this system (SBT / Perpetual Technology PA1 / Lite Audio DAC  / Concordant Pre / Netgear Revised Quad 405 / Linn Sara 9) . Much to my surprise the difference with the move in of the Valve pre was very marked the Sara's really do seem to love valves and the Lite DAC adds that very easy to listen NOS sound that may well be inaccurate but is lovely to listen too. Even Talk Sport which is very low bit rate radio was much more transparent and it was easily possible to hear the studio space . Music just bounced and made me smile .

My first thought then was this does not bode well for the switch and I would very soon be putting the Concordant back in the main system and looking at those Buffer Stage units. Now I have never had the remote control for the APV pre but I managed to find a Logitech universal remote that said it could be used with it. Bought one and had to wait a few days for delivery so the main system was not used. The remote arrived and like they said it did work . The APV is relay controlled for volume and it had always crackled a bit when adjusting but as you had to press a button to go up and down there was a delay so could clean the pot wipers with the usual swing it from Min to Max and back a few times . Was now able to do this using the remote and it has cleared the crackling . So now set the system up and put Radio Paradise (Flac Stream) as the test signal . At the first music to come through I was very pleasantly surprised the music was cleaner and in many ways more powerful than with the Concordant . The Krell seems to really like a Solid State pre in the same way the Sara's seem to like valves. Volume now was not an issue I could make it very loud even with low level recorded CD's . Other shock was the change in the bass , now the Krell has always excelled in this area anyway but now it sound like it has been working out with stronger and deeper bass that stays in control and just drive the music along . It now has a more physical element in the bass with a real feeling of air moving and lots of slam .

So I am very happy with my swop and both systems are now singing better that they have for quite a while , however I am a little puzzled by certain equipment seeming to be better suited to one piece of equipment than another. I have always thought and in the past heard the Krell work very well with Valve Pre's and it still sound good with the Concordant , it is just that it sounds than much better with the APV . Not sure if this is just the APV being a better pre or the fact it is solid state .

Anyone else come across this type of result before ?

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Andrew, You probably have a better impedance match, now, between the pre and power amp.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Colin you may well be right but I have to say that the Concordant sounds so much better with the Quad 405 than the APV ever did so again the mixing of combinations is down to luck or an exhaustive read through the specifications of each item to get a match that works .

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Colin you may well be right but I have to say that the Concordant sounds so much better with the Quad 405 than the APV ever did so again the mixing of combinations is down to luck or an exhaustive read through the specifications of each item to get a match that works .
Well if Serge was here I know what he would say  :D

dave

incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have been running an all / mostly tube system for about 8 years. I felt compelled to rebuild my "reference amplifier" that I used for about 10 years in my 20s. it is an all solid state (5 transistors) SE not really any feedback circuit. it used to sound a little grey. I think I have designed that out now, and running it into my ns1000m's, it really is pretty good, and left the previous SE tube amp sounding rather lacking in comparison. 

Reactions: TheFlash

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is he resting? Sulking? “On holiday” in a far-off forum, looking in the estate agents’ windows with a view to settling there permanently, before coming home and seeing sense?
The last time I checked he was still visiting, I was missing his knowledge, and common sense approach to this hobby, lets hope he returns soon :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.