Subwoofer for 2 channel music

gryphon

Wammer
Wammer
May 18, 2015
[SIZE=19pt]Hi everyone, I have a pair of Graham Audio LS 5/9 that I would like to add a subwoofer too.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=19pt]80% music and 20% movies.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=19pt]Would these two be a good choice or would you recommend something better ?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=19pt]HSU ULS-15 MK2[/SIZE]

[SIZE=19pt]or [/SIZE]

[SIZE=19pt]BK XXLS400[/SIZE]

[SIZE=19pt]?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=19pt]Thanks[/SIZE]

Sorry for the large text

Last edited by a moderator:

moo-fi

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 5, 2009
Doncaster
AKA
Fred
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For that level of speaker try a JL sub.  I have a Monolith and the JL sub was  a big step up at my last bake off.

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For that level of speaker try a JL sub.  I have a Monolith and the JL sub was  a big step up at my last bake off.
Id say they were different animals more than better, There was certainly more bass with the mono, definitely more air movement anyway, but the JL is just built to the N'th level, even though the build on the BK is also extremely impressive. Like choosing between a new Bentley and a Range Rover they're both great, but different. Id say if JL made a 12 inch speaker in a similar box to the mono (which they dont, they dont do ported home subs) then Id say the BK would be crushed but horses for courses they both perform extremely well, its just with JL you have those superb drive units which are arguably the best bass drivers money can buy, and they back it up with great amps and go even further with their cabinets, even to the point of their driver being moulded to a metal front metal plate.

Don't have mine anymore by the way :( , a gentleman drove all the way down from London to buy it. It was a great sub though, next opportunity I will try a DD+ tho :D

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
80% music and 20% movies.
Just to add, and with my subwoofer'ophile experience if its 80% music go with the best sealed you can buy every time. And this comes from someone who loves ported subs just as much.

• Upvote
Reactions: greybeard

gryphon

Wammer
Wammer
May 18, 2015
Yes, my thinking too, want a sub that is very musical more than out and out power.

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can only concur with Eddie and Fred, I was at this bake off, and to my ears, for music, the JL won hands down. The intergration with my LS35a clones was superb, so much so, that I asked Eddie if I could use it at Kegworth last March. He very kindly agreed, and the setup got some very good reviews.

Eddie I cannot believe you have sold it, oh wait a minute with your history , yes I can !!  :D What have you got now?

• Upvote
Reactions: Tony_J

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Eddie I cannot believe you have sold it, oh wait a minute with your history , yes I can !!  :D What have you got now?
This!!   :goodone:
:D

Just put it like this I wouldn't ever be without a sub now, there is just too much you miss without them when they're dialled in right, even if you do have good speakers.

I've not that long ago moved house and the room I was currently using the JL in it wrecked a bit of havoc as it was a suspended floor, and it just never sounded right no matter what I did. I even played with a DSP as well, but as good as DSP is it's still not 'as good' as having a good room. 

I've currently got 3 subs here, 1 x 10" Sunfire HRS I use in a larger system and 1 x 8" in another room, both sealed I will add. They're pretty good little subs actually, agile, they go low, easy to accommodate and bring a lot of definition into the bass and music, but they are seriously behind the JL for power, build and the solid clout that thing could deliver if driven hard. But, they do still sound good and they suit my needs at the moment.

The third sub I have is a small ProAc ported, its here if I fancy a change, that's not bad either, it isn't no Monolith though, but again, fine for my needs.  

ps

I like the new badge Colin, very appropriate, hopefully, another win tonight.

Reactions: greybeard

moo-fi

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 5, 2009
Doncaster
AKA
Fred
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I know that moving feeling!  Our next house is smaller than our current one, (several less rooms, but the family room is larger, along with Nicky's study), so I am going to see how the Focal's settle in.  In truth though it will require a change of speakers longer term, but the good news is that I am now mortgage free, so will now have some cash to spend on Hi-Fi again. 

Musicraft

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Jun 18, 2008
Derby
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
 I wouldn't ever be without a sub now, there is just too much you miss without them when they're dialled in right, even if you do have good speakers.

ps

I like the new badge Colin, very appropriate, hopefully, another win tonight.

Me neither, spot on and +1 :)

• Upvote
Reactions: eddie-baby

mj446

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2012
Fife
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
:D

The third sub I have is a small ProAc ported, its here if I fancy a change, that's not bad either, it isn't no Monolith though, but again, fine for my needs.  
Hi, I'm using ProAc D2s, would you recommend a small sub such as yours, or something totally different, Ta.

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi, I'm using ProAc D2s, would you recommend a small sub such as yours, or something totally different, Ta.
D2 are superb speakers, I know its the old cliché but those speakers deserve the best you can afford, depends how big your room is and what you want to achieve, but Id say you love music with a speaker like that, so if it was me I think a sealed every time, as always you need to try a few, but dont go buying any cheap subs, you'll be just left disappoint and to be honest wasting your time.

gryphon

Wammer
Wammer
May 18, 2015
I can only concur with Eddie and Fred, I was at this bake off, and to my ears, for music, the JL won hands down. The intergration with my LS35a clones was superb, so much so, that I asked Eddie if I could use it at Kegworth last March. He very kindly agreed, and the setup got some very good reviews.

How was the JL connected?

moo-fi

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 5, 2009
Doncaster
AKA
Fred
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From the Pre out of the Krell at the Bake off, although BK say it is better from high level as it sees the same signal as the speakers (Although I am not convinced).

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
although BK say it is better from high level as it sees the same signal as the speakers (Although I am not convinced).
I am not convinced on this connection either Fred. And it may just be a benign load but I wouldn't dare try it with a Naim amp, especially the older types. Personally I think I would take the pre-out option everytime (as long as the amp has the facility of course), but sometimes you don't have the option so its a handy some subs give you the option.

gryphon

Wammer
Wammer
May 18, 2015
There is a lot of talk about how Rel does speaker input and sound very musical, is there any difference the way Rel does speaker input and other manufacturers doing the same connection ?

moo-fi

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 5, 2009
Doncaster
AKA
Fred
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I notice that BK has put a warning about high level connection from digital power amps, but the connection seems fairly standard left and right signal plus earth into a Neutrik connector to plug into the Sub.  Also BK do a lot of subs for other people, so this type of connection is pretty standard.

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have Proac Studio 140 mk 2 and an REL Strata iii sub. It took a while to dial it in but the impact and ironically improvement in mid bass is really welcome. The sub is getting on a bit but is very nimble with its 10" driver, I use mine using the hi-level input as this is the recommended REL method.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online