There Is Something Very Very Wrong With Todays New Music Releases…..

BalooToo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I did go through them a while ago, the Jazz one was ok but nothing else appealed although some were not on my streaming service. I will have another listen. I do like some Scandavian and NZ artists but they have not produced much for a while. 2020 was a good year for me but struggling to much since then.

Hopefully some artists I like will produce decent albums soon.
I am trying to re-discover Jazz, when I was younger I went to the Old Duke in Bristol which is quite a well known venue and used to enjoy a lot of stuff, but I went to a jazz night Sunday at the Plymouth Jazz Club and the keyboard player could not of done a soundcheck because he was hurting my ears with how out of tune it was. I left as they started their second set!

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am trying to re-discover Jazz, when I was younger I went to the Old Duke in Bristol which is quite a well known venue and used to enjoy a lot of stuff, but I went to a jazz night Sunday at the Plymouth Jazz Club and the keyboard player could not of done a soundcheck because he was hurting my ears with how out of tune it was. I left as they started their second set!
I like mainly 50s Jazz but some more recent stuff is pretty good, do you know:

1662747104865.jpeg

This album I just played, one of the Mercury shortlist contender, was not too bad, I even played it all.

1662747050722.jpeg

BalooToo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like mainly 50s Jazz but some more recent stuff is pretty good, do you know:

1662747104865.jpeg

This album I just played, one of the Mercury shortlist contender, was not too bad, I even played it all.

1662747050722.jpeg
No not heard the first album, will give it a go later. I am playing Tresor right now.

popol_vuh

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 24, 2007
Croatia
AKA
Zvonimir
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is such a difficult topic. It's very difficult to systematically comprehend what's happening. I've read the data that the author presented in the article, so that bit can be taken as a fact. And when it comes to causes...some things that I'd say are:

1. I think it's pretty much indisputable that today we have more music production than ever. It's easier and cheaper to make music than ever before. Loads of people who make music, music producers, artists, studio owners etc. say this. Another fact associated with this is: music labels barely have a function in today's music-space. Music becomes known and popular not by means of label marketing it, not by means of touring, not by means of FM radio play and not by means of music videos on channels like MTV. Music gets known by its presence in social media.

When these elements get combined, we have easy made and quantitatively huge amount of music, unrestricted by ability associated to playing live, unrestricted by label's selection of what (not) to publish and some completely new rules in media, where it's about moment-to-moment "sensations" that last about 1 second. This produces a huge amount of "noise".

2. In addition to "1", we don't seem to have reference points anymore. And I don't mean it in a bad sense - that everyone should follow some criteria external to themselves when they create, but merely the fact that no music today can seemingly become "great" the way Beatles or Black Sabbath or Pink Floyd or Nirvana or Metallica were great. "Great" implies both music itself and its cultural relevance at the same time. I think there's a huge amount of good music today, among all that noise, but absolutely none of it is culturally relevant. Why music isn't culturally relevant anymore? I'd like to hear everyone's ideas, but I'd say because for whatever reason, younger people don't see it as relevant for their identity anymore. It's just another thing to consume. Merely entertainment. Or a side-activity. Which factors produce this state? That's so difficult to answer. But the culture of the playlist and dominance of streaming surely are a factor. As well as distribution of music through social media and tying in music with other activities. Listening to music is not seen as an activity in itself today. This is a huge loss IMO.

3. There is also a fact that we have huge retro-nostalgia in our western societies nowadays. It probably can't even be called "nostalgia", because how can a 15 year old be nostalgic about Kate Bush or Super Nintendo? But we do have kids listening to Queen, Michael Jackson, Beatles, Pink Floyd in huge numbers. We do have mania for old games consoles like SNES or Sega Megadrive or old computers like Amiga and Atari and associated games....look at the s/h prices of any of these things. All of our fashion is some kind of postmodern mish-mash of everything in the last 50-60 years. And we seem to use all these cultural artifacts with absolutely no regard to any kind of context. They became abstract elements, pure surface with no aura, no authenticity, no meaning behind them. We use them pretty much as empty, purely aesthetic signifiers of nothing actually.

4. Why is it that pseudo-nostalgia even in younger people's listening to music is more prevalent than listening to new music? Can we even talk about past, present and future in our cultural and media context today? Isn't it wholly a one continuum of faceless "content" when we put it in modern media context? Abstract sound-bytes to use and reuse in decontextualized clips.

Very difficult to make sense of this very good and enticing topic.

Reactions: lazycat

zekezebra

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 15, 2009
Hereford
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
While I do agree that there still is good music available if you search for it, I find it quite telling that Adele and Ed Sheeran are the top UK artists. I don't think either of them would have got a look in in previous times. Ed Sheeran is at best a compitant pub singer.

Chumpchops

From the safest places come the bravest words.
Wammer
Oct 3, 2014
Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
….music does not have to be either ’clever’ or ‘creative’ to be enjoyable. It just needs to make you want to listen to it.

Reactions: DUVET and MF 1000

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The main thing wrong with todays ‘mainstream’ music is its so ‘formulaic’. Not so much performed as produced and designed to sell downloads etc.

If you go ‘off the beaten track’ as I do on Spotify, you will find some amazing artists who will never become as ‘popular’ as Sherran et al but are so talented and deserve our support at small gigs for less than £30 etc rather than the ludicrous ticket prices for the well known alleged artists.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The main thing wrong with todays ‘mainstream’ music is its so ‘formulaic’. Not so much performed as produced and designed to sell downloads etc.

If you go ‘off the beaten track’ as I do on Spotify, you will find some amazing artists who will never become as ‘popular’ as Sherran et al but are so talented and deserve our support at small gigs for less than £30 etc rather than the ludicrous ticket prices for the well known alleged artists.
Yes there some good artists, quite a few are without record contracts but IMO are much better than most of the mainstream.

Would be interested in knowing some of your amazing artists.

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some of my favourite albums released so far in 2022 for anyone interested:

- Pedro The Lion - 'Havasu'
- Bonobo - 'Fragments'
- Charlotte Adigery - 'Tropical Dancer'
- Silvana Estrada - 'Marchita'
- Aldous Harding - 'Warm Chris'
- Daniel Rossen - 'You Belong There'
- The Smile - 'A Light for Attracting Attention'
- black midi - 'Hellfire'
- Florist - 'Florist'
- Ty Segall - 'Hello, Hi'
- Julia Jacklin - 'Pre Pleasure'
- Chip Wickham - 'Cloud 10'

All 'New Music Releases', and all thoroughly great music as far as I am concerned.

(smallprint: please note these are all albums selected based on the musical tastes and personal preferences of the writer and no liability can be offered for any damage, anger, annoyance or disappointment caused to anyone listening to these albums due to their own conflicting tastes and intolerances to modern music)

Reactions: Chumpchops

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some of my favourite albums released so far in 2022 for anyone interested:

- Pedro The Lion - 'Havasu'
- Bonobo - 'Fragments'
- Charlotte Adigery - 'Tropical Dancer'
- Silvana Estrada - 'Marchita'
- Aldous Harding - 'Warm Chris'
- Daniel Rossen - 'You Belong There'
- The Smile - 'A Light for Attracting Attention'
- black midi - 'Hellfire'
- Florist - 'Florist'
- Ty Segall - 'Hello, Hi'
- Julia Jacklin - 'Pre Pleasure'
- Chip Wickham - 'Cloud 10'

All 'New Music Releases', and all thoroughly great music as far as I am concerned.

(smallprint: please note these are all albums selected based on the musical tastes and personal preferences of the writer and no liability can be offered for any damage, anger, annoyance or disappointment caused to anyone listening to these albums due to their own conflicting tastes and intolerances to modern music)
Thanks, don't know some of those, so will have a listen later.

Reactions: Chumpchops

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.