There Is Something Very Very Wrong With Todays New Music Releases…..

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you like metal and orchestral, or just want to try something new, the Finnish band Nightwish is amazing imo.

Their 2021 album Human:Nature is a masterpiece, once again imo. Watch the music vids available on YouTube. Truly inspired.
It takes the band in new directions, but their previous music is also great.

Also, Ronnie Radke and his band Falling in Reverse. Their remakes of their 10 year previous pop songs The Drug in Me is You (reborn as The Drug in Me Is Reimagined) and I'm Not a Vampire (Revamped) are drawdroppers imo. It's also interesting to compare with the originals. Once again on YouTube. Also their recent music vid Zombified.

(I'm deliberately avoiding contemporary classical music, much of which is fabulous, realising that it's a minority interest).
Not into modern metal, when I was around 15 l did play some such as Black Sabbath. I do like some modern music but most is not mainstream, some is classed as folk but its not trad. folk, maybe new folk or alt folk. Contemporary classical, not sure, would Nils Frahm be in that genre? Some of his is ok, a few others also.
Not into videos, maybe too much emphasis on that rather than the music. I prefer whole albums rather odd songs and playlists. Some electronic music I like such as Marconi Union, Loscil, Boards of Canada etc.

Where are the great musicians today? Many don't even seem to play instruments.

I also like Jazz, mainly 1950s era but some modern stuff is fine.

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lets us know what this wonderful music is, I will give it go.

I go through on a friday all new release, most dont appeal to me, but do find the odd good one although the last 18 months has been a real struggle, 2020 was a good year but not found much since then.
If you like music then searching for it will reap its rewards ? Am very happy if I trawl through an artists work & can cherry pick a couple of hours of listening from it...which then goes to a playlist. In my old age it's a joy to browse music like this. My tastes have broadened which means more access to more music. :)

Reactions: JANDL100

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you like music then searching for it will reap its rewards ? Am very happy if I trawl through an artists work & can cherry pick a couple of hours of listening from it...which then goes to a playlist. In my old age it's a joy to browse music like this. My tastes have broadened which means more access to more music. :)
Yep - playlists for me too. I have dozens of them on YouTube and iTunes. Almost everything goes on a playlist. I follow up recommendations here, and was pleased to discover Navy a few posts ago - I've listened to a few of her releases now.

I just have a love-hate relationship with the guitar, which is why I have very little interest in guitar based bands. It's not a widely used classical instrument - pleasant but rather bland. It's good in blues, can be good in jazz but also quite bland, but I pass on rock and metal. What I do like is some of the studio musicians like Steely Dan use, who can be very tasteful and inventive. I'm much more keyboard based - a much more interesting instrument in all its forms. I also found guitarists can be difficult to work with - they often play too loud.... maybe they're a bit deaf or just don't realise how penetrating a guitar is.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do. I go through new albums. I have a streamer, use Tidal at the moment but finding very little in the last 18 months, almost given up. My tastes have broaden also to try to find music I like but its hard work.

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I also found guitarists can be difficult to work with - they often play too loud.... maybe they're a bit deaf or just don't realise how penetrating a guitar is.
It's their sound, maan.

An electric guitar is often horribly bland until you've turned the wick up on the amplifier a bit. I once rehearsed with a bass player who had a 100W amplifier (and was using it). I had a 5W guitar amplifier, and the bass player asked me to turn it down (which I did). I was using a low-powered amplifier because I knew I would want to lean on the vol pot, and I had hoped that I would be able to do so without being too loud for everyone else.

Reactions: pmcuk

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do. I go through new albums. I have a streamer, use Tidal at the moment but finding very little in the last 18 months, almost given up. My tastes have broaden also to try to find music I like but its hard work.
Not as hard as it used to be trawling through records though. There are music clubs for all genres..with recommendations. Wikipedia. Within 2 mins you can be listening to see if you like it.
You like Jazz, so Google an artists "best recordings". This will throw up niche recordings that enthusiasts like and many clubs etc. Bounce off that and just save what you like ? Sometimes I will save 30 albums and after a couple of weeks have half a playlist full of cherry picked tracks, plus a couple of albums I really like and can listen to in their entirety.
Don't give up. Put the yards in & the rewards are great. Ime (y)
* Learning about the artist & his fellow musicians is as rewarding as expecting a "musical quick fix". The stories are often integral to my own enjoyment.

Last edited:
Reactions: pmcuk and JANDL100

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not as hard as it used to be trawling through records though. There are music clubs for all genres..with recommendations. Wikipedia. Within 2 mins you can be listening to see if you like it.
You like Jazz, so Google an artists "best recordings". This will throw up niche recordings that enthusiasts like and many clubs etc. Bounce off that and just save what you like ? Sometimes I will save 30 albums and after a couple of weeks have half a playlist full of cherry picked tracks, plus a couple of albums I really like and can listen to in their entirety.
Don't give up. Put the yards in & the rewards are great. Ime (y)
* Learning about the artist & his fellow musicians is as rewarding as expecting a "musical quick fix". The stories are often integral to my own enjoyment.
I know how to search thanks, I have been doing that for years. I play 100s of different artists. But most are not new.

I don't do playlists. Just not finding new music that I like anymore. The rewards were great but struggling now.

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A repeat of some comments above, but tarring all new music with the same brush as what gets played on BBC Radio 1 and 2 is like suggesting there aren't any decent wine producers around these days based on what you've tried from your local Tescos.

There is some incredible music being made nowadays, you've just got to dig a bit deeper to find it.

The 'what are you listening to now' thread on here is probably a good place to start.

What I will say though, is that it is getting harder and harder to sound creative in music, without sounding like you are copying someone else. No doubt some of the best innovators in popular music came out of the 60's and 70's, but lets be honest, they only had about 40 or so years of recorded music to contend with (yes I know, there's a few hundred years of classical and folk music out there, but you get the point).

But even so, there are still some great innovators around.

Whether to your tastes or not, surely no-one can listen to a band like black midi and say they sound boring, formulaic or familiar. I challenge anyone to give them a try. A phenomenal band, breaking all sorts of new ground.

Their latest album was released only a couple of weeks ago:

(but just a word of warning to prepare yourself mentally first...you have been warned!!)

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A repeat of some comments above, but tarring all new music with the same brush as what gets played on BBC Radio 1 and 2 is like suggesting there aren't any decent wine producers around these days based on what you've tried from your local Tescos.

There is some incredible music being made nowadays, you've just got to dig a bit deeper to find it.

The 'what are you listening to now' thread on here is probably a good place to start.

What I will say though, is that it is getting harder and harder to sound creative in music, without sounding like you are copying someone else. No doubt some of the best innovators in popular music came out of the 60's and 70's, but lets be honest, they only had about 40 or so years of recorded music to contend with (yes I know, there's a few hundred years of classical and folk music out there, but you get the point).

But even so, there are still some great innovators around.

Whether to your tastes or not, surely no-one can listen to a band like black midi and say they sound boring, formulaic or familiar. I challenge anyone to give them a try. A phenomenal band, breaking all sorts of new ground.

Their latest album was released only a couple of weeks ago:

(but just a word of warning to prepare yourself mentally first...you have been warned!!)

what new ground? sounds dreadful to me.

I agree about radio in the UK but that has been the case for ages, the pirate radio stations were quite good but the rest is awful. The US had radio stations that played album music not just chart singles and choice of genres. Radio Paradis is about the only station I play occasionally apart from classic fm in the car as everything else is dire.

I agree about the creative oart, I eas thinking the same yesterday, rock was in its infancy in the 60s and 70s, so its a lot easier then but it has been very disappointing what has come after that period. I can understand why some people listen mainly to that music, I even someone in their early 20s who only plays 60/70s rock, does not like modern music.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: karlsushi

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I know how to search thanks, I have been doing that for years. I play 100s of different artists. But most are not new.

I don't do playlists. Just not finding new music that I like anymore. The rewards were great but struggling now.
I don't have a chip on my shoulder.
Reg: playlists. Some artists (i.e. Curtis Fuller) have made 30 albums ? I really like 10 of his tracks. Do you omit stuff like this then and only listen to albums, including fillers you don't like ? This could be why you sounded fed up..and prompted my suggestion.
Loosen up. :)

Reactions: pmcuk

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is timely and released only today:

https://www.mercuryprize.com/news/2022-mercury-prize-with-free-now-albums-of-the-year-revealed
Whilst I've become more and more disappointed in the shortlist in recent years, there are usually at least one or two decent albums on there and for the sake of this thread, it probably gives you a very good taste of music over the last year, covering a decent spread of genres.

If you hate all of them, then there's probably no hope for you...

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't have a chip on my shoulder.
Reg: playlists. Some artists (i.e. Curtis Fuller) have made 30 albums ? I really like 10 of his tracks. Do you omit stuff like this then and only listen to albums, including fillers you don't like ? This could be why you sounded fed up..and prompted my suggestion.
Loosen up. :)
I dont know what you mean about chip on your shoulder?

I play albums, if there are tracks I dont like I will skip onto the next one. Not that keen on the trombone. I have been searching for Jazz for 30 years.

By new music Im talking about recent releases not old music. Im fed up with lack of new music that I like, there has been very little in the last 18 months.

Last edited:

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is timely and released only today:

https://www.mercuryprize.com/news/2022-mercury-prize-with-free-now-albums-of-the-year-revealed
Whilst I've become more and more disappointed in the shortlist in recent years, there are usually at least one or two decent albums on there and for the sake of this thread, it probably gives you a very good taste of music over the last year, covering a decent spread of genres.

If you hate all of them, then there's probably no hope for you...
A few I don't know which maybe worth hearing. Joy Crooks is one of the better albums Ive heard In the last year. I dont hate them all, just some.

Reactions: BalooToo

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I dont what you mean about chip on your shoulder?

I play albums, if there are tracks I dont like I will skip onto the next one. Not that keen on the trombone. I have been searching for Jazz for 30 years.

By new music Im talking about recent releases not old music. Im fed up with lack of new music that I like, there has been very little in the last 18 months.
Ok. Humour me.
New music. If you discover something new to like..its new music ? If you happen to notice the year it was released, why does that effect your enjoyment ? All music is a plagiary to some extent or influenced consciously/unconsciously from experience/memory. Does the fact it is not "current" upset you ? Some things are just so, and music is music. Sure it's nice sometimes to find out that it's new and from a young artist BUT that's only a story...its not the music or your reaction to the music.
I love listening to music every waking minute but if I thought that I could embrace an approach that would open new doors, I would.
You are welcome to have access to all of my playlists on Qobuz if it would create fresh interests ? They are done with care & some took years to assemble in an order & a way to enhance each piece of music. Was originally trying to be helpful but it does depend on how one wants to read it after all. Up to you ? :)

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok. Humour me.
New music. If you discover something new to like..its new music ? If you happen to notice the year it was released, why does that effect your enjoyment ? All music is a plagiary to some extent or influenced consciously/unconsciously from experience/memory. Does the fact it is not "current" upset you ? Some things are just so, and music is music. Sure it's nice sometimes to find out that it's new and from a young artist BUT that's only a story...its not the music or your reaction to the music.
I love listening to music every waking minute but if I thought that I could embrace an approach that would open new doors, I would.
You are welcome to have access to all of my playlists on Qobuz if it would create fresh interests ? They are done with care & some took years to assemble in an order & a way to enhance each piece of music. Was originally trying to be helpful but it does depend on how one wants to read it after all. Up to you ? :)
I know you are trying to help. I dont use Qobuz because of problems with it. Searching is not a problem, my problem is finding current music to my taste, yes there are some albums I like but few and far between.

This post is about current music. So Im talking about new music not some old releases.

Last edited:

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Am I alone here in not listening to rock bands?
Perhaps in a minority. I am also more or less in that minority.
I just have a love-hate relationship with the guitar,
This is my issue as well. There are times I watch some great player and think 'wow, amazing', especially bass players, but the guitar-based 'rock' of the American mainstream type makes me want to cry. Those twangy 'youth' bands as well. There was a time when the guitar band represented youthful rebellion, not so much now. Though if you want to attract women become a bass player in a band. And wear shades:cool:

All that self-indulgent rock-god stuff bores me to death. And also the obsession of people trying to make out that certain rock bands (Rush for example) are complicated musical experts because they once did a song in 5/4... whoah ...you're practically jazz man! Possibly even Schoenberg with your accidental dodecophony, explained in a YT video with a faux-academic poker face.

I'll take a blues-rock band, I'll take the enjoyable honesty of Status Quo (love Whatever You Want), but 'rock music' of a particular type is thin gruel to me.

BalooToo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just out of interest I have spent the last few hours listening to the Amazon Mercury Playlist, I created my own playlist from this of the 36 songs I ended up with 15 songs from 7 bands. The only artist I knew was Joy Crookes. I will be listening to a further 2 acts albums now because I thought they were good enough to have a listen to. So all in all not a bad hit rate IMHO.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just out of interest I have spent the last few hours listening to the Amazon Mercury Playlist, I created my own playlist from this of the 36 songs I ended up with 15 songs from 7 bands. The only artist I knew was Joy Crookes. I will be listening to a further 2 acts albums now because I thought they were good enough to have a listen to. So all in all not a bad hit rate IMHO.
I did go through them a while ago, the Jazz one was ok but nothing else appealed although some were not on my streaming service. I will have another listen. I do like some Scandavian and NZ artists but they have not produced much for a while. 2020 was a good year for me but struggling to much since then.

Hopefully some artists I like will produce decent albums soon.

hiacedrifter

Wammer
Sep 26, 2017
Worthing
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not going to nibble at that particular clickbait myself, but I'm guessing the writer is old.

It makes some good points, using streaming stats to show that modern music is being streamed less and less, and people preferring older music.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online